Skating on the Planet

22 minutes ago, robin said:

:13877886: now that I am trying them myself I have so much more respect for loops

Now you know why quad loops are not a dime a dozen. =) There is a legit case to be made to up the BV of quad loops rather than reduce, because it has a difficult timing window, and has no additional assistance for the lift, plus heard it had the slowest in-air rotation speed.

Flips and lutzes are all about timing, but a loop is something else...speaking as someone who stablized flips before stablizing loops and to this day still gets chills when asked to "demonstrate a loop.":13877886:

37 minutes ago, Xen said:

Now you know why quad loops are not a dime a dozen. =) There is a legit case to be made to up the BV of quad loops rather than reduce, because it has a difficult timing window, and has no additional assistance for the lift, plus heard it had the slowest in-air rotation speed.

Flips and lutzes are all about timing, but a loop is something else...speaking as someone who stablized flips before stablizing loops and to this day still gets chills when asked to "demonstrate a loop.":13877886:

I guess the reason why the BV of loops is lower is because it allows more pre-rotation than flips and lutzes? Not that it stops some jumpers from ridiculously prerotating their 4Lz and 4F... and I guess the difference becomes less and less significant as the rotations increase. I can see why the rotation speed of loops is lower than on flips and lutzes. there’s no toe pick moment to help boost angular momentum 

Why is jumping so addictive though, I get like 5cm of the ground and I have a ton of basics I should refine first but all i want to do is jump now that I actually land my waltz  :embSwan:

eta: nevermind, coach told me to jump salchow and I’m back to terrified :laughing:

On 13.2.2018 at 5:53 PM, axelnojutsu said:

Why is jumping so addictive though, I get like 5cm of the ground and I have a ton of basics I should refine first but all i want to do is jump now that I actually land my waltz  :embSwan:

eta: nevermind, coach told me to jump salchow and I’m back to terrified :laughing:

hahahah just keep on trying, jumping is a lot of fun 

mi loop 

I forced myself to skate again today. I haven’t been able to work out much bc my body is still weak from the lack of sleep and nutrition throughout the men’s events LOL and I still felt it this morning on the ice. My muscles get tired faster than usual... sigh 

Ahhh, I'm so jealous, I feel like I'm an eternity away from actual jumps. I finally managed to do a full rotation off ice while jumping on one foot, but I'd have to be insane to try it on the ice given my poor control of back edges... 

And my "spins" are still pathetically slow. And still only 5-6 rotations. Ugh.

But I can do a pretty decent inside spread eagle, so I've got that going for me... :13877886:

10 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Ahhh, I'm so jealous, I feel like I'm an eternity away from actual jumps. I finally managed to do a full rotation off ice while jumping on one foot, but I'd have to be insane to try it on the ice given my poor control of back edges... 

And my "spins" are still pathetically slow. And still only 5-6 rotations. Ugh.

But I can do a pretty decent inside spread eagle, so I've got that going for me... :13877886:

OMG a spread eagle tho!! I’be been trying.. I guess inside besti squats? but my turnout is just not enough to maintain it 

4 minutes ago, robin said:

OMG a spread eagle tho!! I’be been trying.. I guess inside besti squats? but my turnout is just not enough to maintain it 

I'm flexible in odd ways, so turnout is easy, but my back and shoulders aren't even slightly flexible, so there go my chances of ever getting a Biellman. But other than that it could be a lot worse...

My coach, on Sunday: "Oh, you're surprisingly flexible!" Me: :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: Her, a moment later: "...for an adult" :13877886: 

5 minutes ago, guitarist said:

I'm flexible in odd ways, so turnout is easy, but my back and shoulders aren't even slightly flexible, so there go my chances of ever getting a Biellman. But other than that it could be a lot worse...

My coach, on Sunday: "Oh, you're surprisingly flexible!" Me: :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: Her, a moment later: "...for an adult" :13877886: 

Turnout is important in skating! For all the footwork it will help you a lot. Can you do splits? All my life I’ve been like 10cm away from it 

What the coach says about me that I do well for an adult is falling, that I am not scared to fall and that I don’t guard myself which helps me fall better and prevent injury. all these years of being clumsy and airheaded leading to me falling left and right are paying off LMAO

1 minute ago, robin said:

Turnout is important in skating! For all the footwork it will help you a lot. Can you do splits? All my life I’ve been like 10cm away from it 

What the coach says about me that I do well for an adult is falling, that I am not scared to fall and that I don’t guard myself which helps me fall better and prevent injury. all these years of being clumsy and airheaded leading to me falling left and right are paying off LMAO

Not quite. I'm working on it, went from 20 cm around 6 months ago to 2-3 cm away on one side. And being an idiot I didn't work on the other side, so that one's still 15-20 :facepalm:

LOL, I'm terrible at falling, and I'm always so scared to do anything new unless I'm close to the boards. Which is silly because I'm more likely to injure myself there, where my head might hit the boards. But I figure that's more of a mental block...

2 hours ago, guitarist said:

Not quite. I'm working on it, went from 20 cm around 6 months ago to 2-3 cm away on one side. And being an idiot I didn't work on the other side, so that one's still 15-20 :facepalm:

LOL, I'm terrible at falling, and I'm always so scared to do anything new unless I'm close to the boards. Which is silly because I'm more likely to injure myself there, where my head might hit the boards. But I figure that's more of a mental block...

2-3cm is almost there! That‘s like nothing! I‘ve kinda stopped with my stretches lately bc I am seeing no results in my splits (although my flexibility did improve) OK I am going to stretch now

Haha I think you‘re just normal and I am too dumb to be scared for my body and life 

After weeeks of doing half flips I have suddenly started properly rotating my flips today :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: I believe it’s the power of Yuzu‘s happiness. I would have never thought that I would be able to learn flips within this season. I honestly never even thought I could do toe loops but here I am :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I am happy today 

And I also finally got the hang of doing loops from two feet. I get much more height now but I still need to practice to get a better feeling for it