12 分, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

johnnyblue.jpg

source

ETA I think you're underestimating Johnny's influence. I'd put it closer to 90%. :P

Sota Yamamoto also borrowed it (and a few other Japanese skaters but can't remember right now.)

304323_615.jpg

source

...okay if we're only talking about his senior career, and if we removed PW, LGC, SEIMEI and POTO (both versions, though I reckon the first one probably still has some kind of Weir influence still) it would come up to approximately...80.68%.

*whistles* Wow. If he copyrighted his designs, together with all the other skaters who use his stuff as inspiration (if not all-out copying), as well as those ones who are inspired by costumes that were originally inspired from his own, he'd be making a pretty penny from them alone now.

1 minute ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

...okay if we're only talking about his senior career, and if we removed LGC and SEIMEI and POTO (both versions, though I reckon the first one probably still has some kind of Weir influence still) it would come up to approximately...83.68%.

*whistles* Wow. If he copyrighted his designs, together with all the other skaters who use his stuff as inspiration (if not all-out copying), as well as those ones who are inspired by costumes that were originally inspired from his own, he'd be making a pretty penny now.

I'm sure if his mother were a more experienced seamstress he would have had a full Johnny wardrobe as a junior, too. He was definitely emulating his moves and style back then. Even as a novice he was doing Johnny's jellyfish spin (whatever it's called - should be called jellyfish spin.) And if he'd done a Prince routine or a SEIMEI routine we'd definitely be seeing his influence there.

I think Johnny definitely deserves royalties for all these inspirations.

10 分, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

I'm sure if his mother were a more experienced seamstress he would have had a full Johnny wardrobe as a junior, too. He was definitely emulating his moves and style back then. Even as a novice he was doing Johnny's jellyfish spin (whatever it's called - should be called jellyfish spin.) And if he'd done a Prince routine or a SEIMEI routine we'd definitely be seeing his influence there.

I think Johnny definitely deserves royalties for all these inspirations.

He probably pointed at Weir's designs each time and his mother went, I'll cook and I'll clean and I'll listen to all your gripes and even go with you everywhere to fulfill those duties but if you want me to make those for you from scratch, sorry kid, you might wanna look for a seamstress as a second mom. But until we can afford to, you're gonna have to stick with mama's slightly dumbed down versions.

So when he finally got to a stage where homemade stuff doesn't cut it anymore and actually had to hire one, you can bet he went all Weir-monster on her, pent up from all those years of having to hold back. Nice of Ito, and whoever else he commissioned in the past when he stopped asking his mother, to not say anything about it, lol.

Just now, SparkleSaladさんが言いました:

I think I found the source of his training gear, too! :biggrin: (Yes, I know, reaching.)

Johnny+Weir+Figure+Skating+Day+2+wvuujCn

source

At this point, I wouldn't put it past him. His copycat and appropriation game, and not just of Weir, has always been a strong one. Even if his outspoken character doesn't really fit the mould, everything else about him is Japanese through and through. 

I am not sure if being Yuzu's seamstress is a blessing or a curse. He reminds me of a guy at my workplace who can spot one single font change on one single word in a 14 page powerpoint presentation. And it is as tiny as calibri and arial font switch, not a more obvious one.

1 minute ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

At this point, I wouldn't put it past him. His copycat and appropriation game, and not just of Weir, has always been a strong one. Even if his outspoken character doesn't really fit the mould, everything else about him is Japanese through and through. 

Even if you look back at tiny Yuzu's Amazonic (that was the music Johnny skated to in the original Etude costume) Yuzu's costume even has a tiny little shoulder ruffle. I wonder if he didn't use it as inspiration even back then but the complexity of the design was too difficult to replicate.

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

I am not sure if being Yuzu's seamstress is a blessing or a curse. He reminds me of a guy at my workplace who can spot one single font change on one single word in a 14 page powerpoint presentation. And it is as tiny as calibri and arial font switch, not a more obvious one.

Not as much of a curse as being the guy who edits his music! I appreciate the final products but I wouldn't want to have to deal with that. :P That's why his programs are so high quality, though. I'd love to hear from Shae and Jeff about this sort of excessive refinement of detail. :biggrin:

15 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Not as much of a curse as being the guy who edits his music! I appreciate the final products but I wouldn't want to have to deal with that. :P That's why his programs are so high quality, though. I'd love to hear from Shae and Jeff about this sort of excessive refinement of detail. :biggrin:

Painful, but you do respect their dedication, and you are pulled to be at the same level as them. Exhausting but ultimately you are blessed to be a more perfect you. Well at least Yuzuru tells you where the issue is, said coworker did not tell me which page the font change happened, so I had to comb through 14 pages at 10 pm.....

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

Painful, but you do respect their dedication, and you are pulled to be at the same level as them. Exhausting but ultimately you are blessed to be a more perfect you. Well at least Yuzuru tells you where the issue is, said coworker did not tell me which page the font change happened, so I had to comb through 14 pages at 10 pm.....

He must be destroyed. :hachimaki:

2 hours ago, Xen said:

CALIBRI AND ARIAL ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT :yznotimpressed:

(lmao jokes but I am just as bad when I'm commissioning someone as a client and have had some stickler clients, and I know how annoying it can be to have someone who doesn't miss anything, you're forever having to make minor adjustments lol. Not surprised she may be a little tired after Yuzu's annotated notes lol)

13 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Princepiration from Brian at the 1984 Olympics

brian-orser-skates-his-long-program-of-t

brian-orser-skates-his-long-program-of-t

lol maybe the purple portion? because i thought original prince inspiration was, well, prince himself!

tumblr_p03ny6Qq941uhgmm4o1_1280.jpg

(i can say after spending three years to find this image :13877886:)

but purple spandex suit - and spandex suit in general - is very brian-esque :tumblr_m9gct8HYvv1qzckow: