Japanese study group

Hydroblade

4 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Part 1 and

Part 2, since I accidentally hit "submit Reply" ^^;

If you'd have the opportunity to say something while he was passing by...

羽生選手、素晴らしかったです。

..., 感動しました。

...,夢みたいな感じです。

Also of course the standard, 応援します。

Assuming it went well as I want it to. 😛

Otherwise, there's always 頑張ってください。

For a win, おめでとうございます- obviously 

Worst of worst outcome, ご苦労さまでした。

Why am I lecturing here? 😛

It's all Yuzu's fault. 

I am greatly enjoying this emergency "In case you ever get the chance to meet Hanyu-senshu Japanese Course" :rofl:

Thank you so much for your suggestions, some I knew but some are new to me. 

6 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

One of the volunteers for Helsinki was a Yuzu fan and she would share her encounters later on with us. His team is wary of staff and volunteers. I'm not sure about him directly, but Kuchiki-san (I think?) was giving her the eye because she was staring at him. So I think they make sure volunteers slow their roll as well.  She said it was a good experience though because seeing him go back and forth all the time it sunk in that he is just a person.  A special person, yes, but by the end she'd mellowed out.  She didn't get any pictures with him. 

Aaaaah I would feel so bad myself if I wouldn't be able to contain my feelings and would actually come across as rude/impolite. 

Of course, as much as all of you, I enjoy thinking about a hypotetical meeting... in my mind, just a second of a honest thought or look would be enough - he is just a person, yes, but he gave us so much of himself during his performances - one feels like one wants to respond in some way, make him know that he touches each and every one of our hearts when he skates. 

I honestly think Yuzuru would appreciate from the bottom of his heart a meeting with any fan who manages to behave politely and treat him as a person. 

That's why I don't necessarily appreciate people waiting around for him with a camera always on... and would rather see less footage of him if it meant that he may live a quieter and more peaceful life off-ice.

6 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

May I ask what or which tips you mean? 😀

If you mean how to approach Yuzu - or any famous Japanese - respectfully, I'd be okay with that. 

But as this is pretty much "I got caught up in the moment" posting, I might want to revise for exact wording, maybe.

Oh I just I meant tips with the right phrases to use, like when you said:

"もし、嫌(イヤ)では無ければ" - for selfies

"call him 羽生選手 and not Yuzuru-san or Yuzu-chan"

"For example, if there were a meet and great with Yuzu somewhere and you'd get to go, he'd never "think less" of you if you'd just say, "yokatta desu," but I think he - and his Japanese minders - would definitely be pleasantly surprised if you'd say "お目にかかって、光栄ですです""

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

I am greatly enjoying this emergency "In case you ever get the chance to meet Hanyu-senshu Japanese Course" :rofl:

Thank you so much for your suggestions, some I knew but some are new to me. 

Aaaaah I would feel so bad myself if I wouldn't be able to contain my feelings and would actually come across as rude/impolite. 

Of course, as much as all of you, I enjoy thinking about a hypotetical meeting... in my mind, just a second of a honest thought or look would be enough - he is just a person, yes, but he gave us so much of himself during his performances - one feels like one wants to respond in some way, make him know that he touches each and every one of our hearts when he skates. 

I honestly think Yuzuru would appreciate from the bottom of his heart a meeting with any fan who manages to behave politely and treat him as a person. 

That's why I don't necessarily appreciate people waiting around for him with a camera always on... and would rather see less footage of him if it meant that he may live a quieter and more peaceful life off-ice.

Actually, after having really fun here, there is one more thing I want to say. 

Not to throw shade. 

Just telling a truth. 

If you get to meet him - or anyone you admire - be prepared to be disappointed.

Not because he's going to be rude or dismissive or anything (though a fair amount of famous people are).

But because even if you get that selfie, even if you'll be able to say a few words and maybe even get an answer, it'll never be as good as in fantasies.

Even if we think we don't have fantasies, they still are there - at least, again, that's my experience.

So it's all not going to be as good as that.

It's not even going to be as good as you hope while realising he's just another human.

And that's a bit hard.

But if you can accept that, the memory really will be special. 

And it'll still be there after you wash the hand he shook. 😛

Sorry for the emo.

Finally, for this now, sneaky as I am, MY approach would be to ask staff to take my polite but not pushing or needy letter, with a small but special present, to Kikuchi, with a cover note again apologising for the bother and ask him to give it to Yuzu after the competition, if he would be so kind.

1 minute ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

But because even if you get that selfie, even if you'll be able to say a few words and maybe even get an answer, it'll never be as good as in fantasies.

Even if we think we don't have fantasies, they still are there - at least, again, that's my experience.

So it's all not going to be as good as that.

It's not even going to be as good as you hope while realising he's just another human.

And that's a bit hard.

But if you can accept that, the memory really will be special. 

Yeah, I guess the only way I can honestly enjoy to fantasize a little now is because I know that I don't really believe it - that my wellbeing doesn't depend on it - that I am someone real, with a life, and they are real too, with their lives, and sometimes these two lines never cross.

Yuzuru "the idea", I can chase into other men, other people, I can use it to encourage myself and improve myself. 

But Yuzuru the person, well... he exists while I exist and that's enough to satisfy me :winky:

Falling in love with ideas is so easy... it's falling in love with real people that's the hard deal... 

Aaaah, now you've dragged me into the sentimental corner :laughing:

10 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Yeah, I guess the only way I can honestly enjoy to fantasize a little now is because I know that I don't really believe it - that my wellbeing doesn't depend on it - that I am someone real, with a life, and they are real too, with their lives, and sometimes these two lines never cross.

Yuzuru "the idea", I can chase into other men, other people, I can use it to encourage myself and improve myself. 

But Yuzuru the person, well... he exists while I exist and that's enough to satisfy me :winky:

Falling in love with ideas is so easy... it's falling in love with real people that's the hard deal... 

Aaaah, now you've dragged me into the sentimental corner :laughing:

We can have a glass of wine or rice wine there together. ;)

But something from early in this conversation: don't give up. You never know what might happen.

And interpreters have far better chances at meeting people than others.

Fanning of course is out of the question, but even if you are there in "only" a professional capacity, you still might be able to tell them you admire them. And they'll appreciate it. 

PS edit again: I love how you put that, he exists while I exist and that's enough

18 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

If you get to meet him - or anyone you admire - be prepared to be disappointed.

It sounds really bad but yeah, if you're prepared for the worst is easier :P 

18 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

It's not even going to be as good as you hope while realising he's just another human

Speaking from experience, meeting one of my idols and realizing precisely that, that he is just an ordinary dude who happens to have an incredible amount of talent and is really skilled in his art, made the whole thing even better. Because this was a guy who traveled a long distance to be there, and i happened to be able to be in the same place as him. I had the opportunity to tell him how much his art meant to me. Our lives crossed for those 12 hours we were in the same place, and honestly that alone was enough for me to feel at peace, because i was able to be there and feel what he wanted to transmit that day. Did i have fantasies about what would happen? Yeah, but this was something real and it was way better than any of my impossible fantasies :) because i wasn't pushy at all, and everything that happened was because he wanted to interact with me. I was the only fan he talked to that day, that made it even more special. 

Of course i had a terrible post concert depression and there is still a song i can't hear because he gave me his guitar pick right in my hand at the end of the song and i'm overwhelmed with feels haha... 

What i wanted to say hahaha, is that if you have the chance, take it as it is, don't have any preconceived ideas about what do you want to happen. And don't feel disappointed if it doesn't go like you wanted to :) it will go exactly as it's supposed to be

8 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

And interpreters have far better chances at meeting people than others.

This makes me think of when Yuzu spoke at the NHK conference for 6 minutes straight and then went to apologize to the translator for giving him all that work :laughing:

A hard job all right, but what a pay-off! 

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

It sounds really bad but yeah, if you're prepared for the worst is easier :P 

Speaking from experience, meeting one of my idols and realizing precisely that, that he is just an ordinary dude who happens to have an incredible amount of talent and is really skilled in his art, made the whole thing even better. Because this was a guy who traveled a long distance to be there, and i happened to be able to be in the same place as him. I had the opportunity to tell him how much his art meant to me. Our lives crossed for those 12 hours we were in the same place, and honestly that alone was enough for me to feel at peace, because i was able to be there and feel what he wanted to transmit that day. Did i have fantasies about what would happen? Yeah, but this was something real and it was way better than any of my impossible fantasies :) because i wasn't pushy at all, and everything that happened was because he wanted to interact with me. I was the only fan he talked to that day, that made it even more special. 

Of course i had a terrible post concert depression and there is still a song i can't hear because he gave me his guitar pick right in my hand at the end of the song and i'm overwhelmed with feels haha... 

Of course you had temporary depression after that. It would be strange if you hadn't because you had an extraordinary experience and getting back to normal is getting DOWN to normal.

For every physical memonto I have - none that I asked for, that would have been unprofessional - from artists I have loved and got a chance to work with, even if just in passing, I also have something like scars, but also - I don't know, what is the positive opposite of a scar?

I'd do it all over again, too.

YOLO

2 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

This makes me think of when Yuzu spoke at the NHK conference for 6 minutes straight and then went to apologize to the translator for giving him all that work :laughing:

A hard job all right, but what a pay-off! 

He would! And damn it, I'd love to be the interpreter. 

BUT

if I were hired, I'd demand the right to interrupt to be able to catch up with his runaway sentences...

see translated ABC interview 

ANA needs to pay for him to get coaching in public talking!

5 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Of course you had temporary depression after that. It would be strange if you hadn't because you had an extraordinary experience and getting back to normal is getting DOWN to normal.

For every physical memonto I have - none that I asked for, that would have been unprofessional - from artists I have loved and got a chance to work with, even if just in passing, I also have something like scars, but also - I don't know, what is the positive opposite of a scar?

I'd do it all over again, too.

YOLO

I have to admit though, the high lasted for about two months :rofl:#worthit 

I wouldn't change anything to be honest, and if i have any hope of having something like that with Yuzu at least i learned to just let things happen and if they do, to not have any regrets :) just appreciate the moment without thinking "i should have done this" or "it would have been great if this happened"

11 hours ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Actually there IS a formal Japanese term for "you," it's "お宅" - not to be confused with オタク even if they sound the same ^^; - so you could say "お宅の財布ですか。"

But would be the more common thing would be to say "お財布、落としました。" That is, putting an o or go honorific prefix to whatever the thing in question is to indicate that it belongs to the person addressed. 

Though actually that takes a bit of practice or experience to know to which words you can add the prefix and which not. Rule of thumb, yes if it's obviously personal - a wallet, clothes - but not so much if it's something more generic, like a book or so.

Actually for starters, what you can't go wrong with is saying "これは、お宅のものですか。"

Japanese use it as well and you don't need to search for unknown words in a dictionary before you can say something. 😉

Congratulations! 😀

One small mistake: you'd say だんだん覚えます - instead of 覚えてます - because it's like remembering one step at a time, not a continuous action. 

Sorry, I'm lousy at grammar terms. T_T

It's a national weakness. 

If a foreigner says "今日は" - never

mind you actually rarely use that - some Japanese will say "日本語、お上手ですね。"

It's kind of embarrassing. 😅

Oh wait, so you don't normally say , こんにちは?And here I use it all the time lol!

12 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Is your keyboard like this one?

maxresdefault.jpg

It took me some time to learn how to type fast with it but now it's really easy :biggrin: 

そうです。同じキーボードです。すぐに早く書くことを覚えたい。

And I know I used the wrong 漢字 for 'fast' there. But I'm having trouble editing lol.

16 minutes ago, katonice said:

そうです。同じキーボードです。すぐに早く書くことを覚えたい。

And I know I used the wrong 漢字 for 'fast' there. But I'm having trouble editing lol.

Soon you'll be able to write like me, going down the stairs while typing and checking the kanji only when i finish the whole sentence haha

19 hours ago, surimi said:

So if I understand correctly, if I want to translate sentences such as 'It's not about me, it's about you' or 'I cannot decide, you choose' or another one where 'you' is emphasized, I just use '[name]san' etc? Not that I would be able to form such sentences yet, just asking hypothetically.

Question for the learners, is there any software or anything that turns kanji in forum posts into kana? I doubt it, with the multiple readings, but on the other hand, this newbie feels miserable because she can't understand half of what's being said here, knowing only a few kanji so far. Or maybe if some of the more advanced students and natives could add kana transcriptions to the senteces and words they use in their explanations, it would be much appreciated.

I find lately that Google Translate is helpful in this, since they give you the romaji (English letters) readings of the kanji. Or jisho.org is good too if you want more of a practice on reading kana, since having the translation given to you in romaji might not be that helpful with your Japanese in the long run. Just copy and paste the kanji text to either of these and they will give you romaji/kana readings.