Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Planet Hanyu

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[2023] World Figure Skating Championships

Featured Replies

4 hours ago, YuDai said:

It was absolutely his own choice to participate in SOI, but the event was organised by NTV, not Yuzuru/Sirius. Yuzuru was listed as the director for GIFT and Prologue, but not NS.

 

That is exactly the point I was making:  because he doesn't have to produce the event, he is not bearing the burden of direction and production, and can concentrate on just his performance.  You can't expect him to be producing and performing every month!  He will burn out and not have the time to recover.  

8 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I don't know what translation you're reading but in the English translation, Yuzu says right there in that interview that he was the one who wanted to collaborate with Uchimura and create something new. And Uchimura has also said that Yuzu was the one who asked him.

 

Also, the 'hula hoop lady' has a name - Violetta Afanasieva - and posted on her Instagram thanking Yuzu for inviting her to the show.

 

NS might not have been a solo show in the sense that it was only Yuzu, but Yuzu organized it as a 3/11 tribute. It wouldn't exist at all if Yuzu hadn't thought of it.

 

 

Uchimura collaboration was definitely Yuzu's initiative, and Yuzu had been talking about for a long time and on many Japanese media appearances.  

 

I enjoyed Kevin's performance qua performance, and his artistitry and musicality deserve greater opportunities to develop.  Yuzu can help Kevin expand on those abilities.  

8 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I don't know what translation you're reading but in the English translation, Yuzu says right there in that interview that he was the one who wanted to collaborate with Uchimura and create something new. And Uchimura has also said that Yuzu was the one who asked him.

Quote

僕が率先して内村さんとやりたいと言ったわけではないんですけど

Quote

I didn't take the initiative in saying I wanted to work with Mr Uchimura.

 

It's an interesting topic to discuss, who decided the cast list for NS show. But let's give the stage back to 23WC. My point is giving JB high PCS/IM relatively lower PCS (at present) does not equal to rewarding Yuzu type skating in current judging system. Or I should put it this way, do you think if Yuzu himself is still competing, 100% Yuzu style skating, he will be rewarded as he should in the current system?

It is 3:30 PM here in Japan, and I could not find any stations showing Exhibition Gala live.  Checked all the Fuji channels and alas, no WC2023 figure skating. 

Meanwhile, TV Asahi is showing Yuzu's Prologue from 6 PM.  I had thought about looking at the Gala before the Prologue, but now I will turn back to Sumo - our other major national pastime (after baseball and football/soccer). 

 

PS  Fuji TV is showing thoroughbred racing (there is a major spring season race today).  Should have added horseracing as the other national obsession.  

Oh I just realized that Boyang and Deniss weren't invited to the gala, what a big mistake!

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

 

Uchimura collaboration was definitely Yuzu's initiative, and Yuzu had been talking about for a long time and on many Japanese media appearances.  

 

I enjoyed Kevin's performance qua performance, and his artistitry and musicality deserve greater opportunities to develop.  Yuzu can help Kevin expand on those abilities.  

Kevin first attracted my attention was his back counter 3A (not frequently done by him though). He was the only skater doing it apart from Yuzu who is the master of back counter 3A! I really miss Yuzu's signature move as it blends with the choreography🥰 Will we ever see it again in competitions... I wonder🤔

3 hours ago, Umebachi said:

 

That is exactly the point I was making:  because he doesn't have to produce the event, he is not bearing the burden of direction and production, and can concentrate on just his performance.  You can't expect him to be producing and performing every month!  He will burn out and not have the time to recover.  

Sorry, I should have been in bed when I wrote that message :drama: I meant that he didn't produce or direct NS himself, either. Unlike GIFT or Prologue, neither he nor Sirius were listed as the organisers/directors. NS website also talks about him in third person. I haven't come across a single interview where he would talk about organising the event.

 

I thought it was obvious from the start that he was less involved this time, the marketing felt very un-Yuzuish (though it was nice, don't get me wrong). 

 

Of course he's the leader/chairman of the ice

show, and he wouldn't have participated if he didn't believe in it.

8 hours ago, Umebachi said:

 

I enjoyed Kevin's performance qua performanc

It was good to see him back to good form after his struggles with injury

10 hours ago, JanMary said:

 

Would love to know where you've taken this sentence from, in context, because as some of Japanese satellites, who live in Japan, and read Japanese, have pointed out, this is something that Yuzu has spoken of many times. 

 

10 hours ago, JanMary said:

It's an interesting topic to discuss, who decided the cast list for NS show. But let's give the stage back to 23WC. My point is giving JB high PCS/IM relatively lower PCS (at present) does not equal to rewarding Yuzu type skating in current judging system. Or I should put it this way, do you think if Yuzu himself is still competing, 100% Yuzu style skating, he will be rewarded as he should in the current system?

 

Rest assured, no one would have been on the NS cast list that Yuzu didn't want there. To imply otherwise is an insult to his intelligence and capabilites, and I take it as such. 

 

As far as Yuzu-style skating being rewarded here at Saitama, Jason, Kevin, and Jun are our closest points of reference for that. Jason had the highest PCS score and Jun got the silver when IMO it should have been higher. So it's a mixed bag. 

 

Reality is that no one's actually doing Yuzu-style skating here. Not completely anyway. 

Just now, YuDai said:

Jun was second? Or do you mean the SP?

I meant silver, my bad.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.