Grand Prix assignments and how they work

So if a skater is guaranteed one spot with a top-24 SB, can he/she get 2 GPs with one host pick invitation beside the guaranteed one?

Yes :)

To have some "numbers" about how it works, [link=https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/gp-2016-17-pre-announcement-thread.98437/]this[/link] is the thread on FSU for last year assignements.

Thanks for the answer & the link! Helps a lot :pbow:

I'm by no means an expert, but so far, I have learned this much:

In singles, there are 72 GP slots available (6x12).

24 of those slots go to top 12 at Worlds Championships (each gets 2). If the junior Worlds Champion decides to go senior, they also get 2 spots. The the Season's Best top 24 a and World Standing 24 get guaranteed 1 spot. Usually, that doesn't exhaust the 72 slots so the host federations are free to give a second slot to a skater who already has 1, or give a slot to an eligible skater down the list or an eligible junior-turned-senior.

And after all federations have picked their skaters, WITHDRAWALS happen so again there are free slots to give away.

I always imagine the process to go like this:

Feds sit at a table.

Japan: We're taking.... uh... Yuzuru.

China: Boyang, duh.

US: We'll be taking Nathan later on, so we don't want Yuzuru... nor Shoma... Boyang please.

Canada: Damn, Boyang's taken... Yuzuru wants SC, right, whatever. We'll take Yuzuru. He akways bombs SC anyway.

Russia: Shoma then.

France: Well, Shoma, no prob.

Canada: We're taking Patrick.

US: And we, Nathan.

Japan: Damn, Javi and Nathan will be dangerous for Yuzu... but Patrick already goes against him in Canada... Javi then. Yuzuvier sells papers.

Russia: Rostelecom's a week before SC so we won't be taking Patrick...

Japan: Hey France, wanna be nice to us and take Patrick who will be less dangerous to Shoma than Nathan?

China: Ehhh, France, perhaps you want to be nice to US, and take Nathan who will be dangerous to Boyang?

France: ennie minnie moe, we're taking Javi.

Japan and China: oh no you didn't.

China: We're friends, Russia, right?

Russia: We'll take Nathan then.

China: And we'll take Patrick!

Japan: You do realize, that WE are paying for this entire sport, right?

LOL this is hilarious :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

it's like mafia negotiation or something haha

I think pretty much, yeah.

Fabulous post, Moria! Poor France, who has to take whatever's left because they have no horse in the race.

LOL this is hilarious :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

it's like mafia negotiation or something haha

I think pretty much, yeah.

Fabulous post, Moria! Poor France, who has to take whatever's left because they have no horse in the race.

lol, rIGHT?? :rofl2: perhaps that's why they decided to throw a tantrum with the mess that GPF was :rofl2:

'what's the point of a decent event anyway. we can't get anything from this' :acceptable:

omg! perfect explanation! :rofl2:

it's like, "to hell with all of you, we don't care, we'll just give you guys cheap plastic medals, wobbly platforms, etc."

and digital flags on screen :s_whiteflag

Seriously... next season is a headache for me. I do not want Yuzuru to go to NHK Osaka, they hate him there. But if Shoma gets NHK, JSF will throw his scores over the roof.

Oh well, still please no NHK for Yuzuru I hope.

and digital flags on screen :s_whiteflag

Seriously... next season is a headache for me. I do not want Yuzuru to go to NHK Osaka, they hate him there. But if Shoma gets NHK, JSF will throw his scores over the roof.

Oh well, still please no NHK for Yuzuru I hope.

urgh yeah it's such a dilemma for me to think about too. our boy just has so many odds stacked against him :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hannah said:

So basically representatives of all federations will meet in Tel Aviv in the end of June for negotiations, right? What will happen if two federations want Yuzuru to skate at their GP event? Will they take into consideration Yuzuru's and Brian's opinions?

Yes, the federations are all playing a game of "which picks will benefit our own skater’s chances?" :party0021:

They’ll make their own compromises and they do sometimes take the World medalist’s preference into consideration.

Here's the order and dates of the GP events:

Rostelecom/Cup of Russia - Moscow, Oct. 19-22, 2017

Skate Canada International - Regina SK, Oct. 26-29

Cup of China - TBA, Nov. 2-5

NHK Trophy - Osaka, Nov. 9-12

Trophee de France - Grenoble, Nov. 16-19

Skate America - Lake Placid NY Nov. 24-26

I've always heard that organizers take into consideration the skater's preferences. I don't know to what extent though, if the skater's preferences trump the host's interests or not.

About Osaka: do they really hate Yuzutu there? Would the audience be rude and fail to cheer on him or boo or something? If Yuzuru got the Osaka assignment, he'd be the only Japanese contender for gold, would the audience do something that would make him feel unwelcome? That could affect Yuzuru performance, but I find it rather unbelieveable that they'd be unpleasant. Besides, I'm sure Yuzuru fans would go there in droves to support him. Now, the judges don't come from Osaka, right? So they wouldn't be likely to hold Yuzu down due to regional bias or Daisuke loyalty. To the contrary, Yuzu being the only Japanese  gold contender, they'd prop him up, I think.

I still think NHK would be a good place for Yuzuru to go. 

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

Here's the order and dates of the GP events:

Rostelecom/Cup of Russia - Moscow, Oct. 19-22, 2017

Skate Canada International - Regina SK, Oct. 26-29

Cup of China - TBA, Nov. 2-5

NHK Trophy - Osaka, Nov. 9-12

Trophee de France - Grenoble, Nov. 16-19

Skate America - Lake Placid NY Nov. 24-26

I've always heard that organizers take into consideration the skater's preferences. I don't know to what extent though, if the skater's preferences trump the host's interests or not.

About Osaka: do they really hate Yuzutu there? Would the audience be rude and fail to cheer on him or boo or something? If Yuzuru got the Osaka assignment, he'd be the only Japanese contender for gold, would the audience do something that would make him feel unwelcome? That could affect Yuzuru performance, but I find it rather unbelieveable that they'd be unpleasant. Besides, I'm sure Yuzuru fans would go there in droves to support him. Now, the judges don't come from Osaka, right? So they wouldn't be likely to hold Yuzu down due to regional bias or Daisuke loyalty. To the contrary, Yuzu being the only Japanese  gold contender, they'd prop him up, I think.

I still think NHK would be a good place for Yuzuru to go. 

GPF in Nagoya might have a bit of a different narrative but I agree that NHK would be a good GP for Yuzu.

Looking at the events, it's quite possible that Yuzuru might choose SA instead of SC this year, Lake Placid is way closer to Toronto than Regina.  Assuming Yuzu will get NHK, he probably won't take TdF, and CoC is out because of Boyang. But USA might not want him because of Nathan and beause Yuzu is usually in a pretty good shape at his second GP.  Rostelecom would be good choice because it's traditionally the least stacked GP and Russia has no contender for gold so the judges would have no reason to hold Yuzu down - unless there's Javi too, they might want to prop up a European. But, Rostelecom is early, would Yuzu want to start the Olympic season this early? :think:

Off topic: ShiroK, what an awesome avatar! It looks so CLAMPy! 

man....the order of GPs next season really throws things off. yuzuru did an early one and the last one (bc it's usually nhk) for the last two seasons with good results. but since nhk is in the middle....if yuzuru did nhk that would be decidedly less time between gps then the past two seasons ://

15 minutes ago, Hannah said:

Why not TdF? 

If Yuzu gets NHK, TdF may be too close in time. Usually, skaters get at least a week rest.

CoR may prefer Javi but they'll have to take one of the 1-3 seeds. Do they really care about Javi so much that they'd rather invite Boyang or Shoma? Given Javier's inconsistency, he's as likely to lose to them as to Yuzu. More, actually, if we consider what a mess Yuzu usually is at his first GP.

Now, if Yuzuru doesn't want/get NHK, anything's possible. Other than CoC, that is.