General Yuzuru Chat

7 minutes ago, SSS said:

The tissue box cover is more expensive than my collection haha.

I feel like somehow

Talking to the tissue box cover -> the other :POOH: will know ->Yuzu will know...

Staring at that pooh's eyes -> through :POOH: -> eye contact with Yuzu

Sorry too excided because of :Poohgaveup::embSwan:

I wish all the Poohs we own were connected in a hivemind ruled by King Pooh (Yuzu's tissue box cover)... (I am sorry i am really bored at work and i don't want to do anythingggg)

18 minutes ago, gladi said:

which Yuzuru was very good at, was the jump that caused injuries, he wasn’t able to practice the 4T until just before the Autumn Classic in September. Doing the 4T hurts because he has to hit the ice with his left toe pick on takeoff.

Thank you gladi!

There is so much in that interview I am not even sure where to start to be honest but this part is really something. That he had started the season off while still in pain from the 4T (and we know he had fear of it too, from a different source) and then to have come out of it, with the 2x4T, and a 4T-Lo-3S in the second half is amazing. I know he says he loves this or that jump but the 4T is truly reliable, almost to the point of a 3A. It really is his jump too. 

And the battle for the 4Lo ... stubborn, the man is stubborn and nothing short of that could have pushed through really. Focus, hard work and absolute belief in his own vision of things and how they should be. Makes me even more happy if possible that Helsinki turned out as it had because that result was in the end the affirmation of his own view of things. I am really grateful you brought this to us because it truly shows just how hard he fought for it. 
I'm happy too, though of course we know that by now, that they hashed it out at SC and he had all the support as he really needed it. 

27 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Thank you gladi!

There is so much in that interview I am not even sure where to start to be honest but this part is really something. That he had started the season off while still in pain from the 4T (and we know he had fear of it too, from a different source) and then to have come out of it, with the 2x4T, and a 4T-Lo-3S in the second half is amazing. I know he says he loves this or that jump but the 4T is truly reliable, almost to the point of a 3A. It really is his jump too. 

You're right, that is nothing short of amazing. In terms of training the other quad jumps reversely improving his 4T, I imagine it's similar to how variation and variability have a role in motor development and that knowing the other jumps help differentiate and clarify the small details of what should be done in 4T. Sort of like polishing it without him actually doing it? On the other hand, I remember in Ice Jewels Vol 5, he mentioned how doing 4Lo reversely helped him with 4S :laughing::facepalm:

As for the fear, I am truly curious how he managed to overcome that. (Clearly Yuzuru is not me with my bicycle, but I only get more scared after a long hiatus. Same deal with working out.) And I wonder if it's a similar train of thought (or a completely different one) that brought him to the decision of Chopin. In a way, he manages not only outsiders' expectations but also his own mentality with his choice of program.  

Also, can I point out the part that made me laugh out loud XD

Thereupon, Yuzuru then proposed such a jump layout. For the short program, 4Lo and 4S. For the free skate, 4Lo, two 4S, one 4T––four in total. Compared to the last season, not only adding a new type with the 4Lo, but also increasing the number of quads in the free skate.

As in. Shortly after sort of getting an okay to debut the 4Lo, Yuzu immediately went for his dream layout as well, probably with stars in his eyes. XD XD XD Imagine Brian running away yanking his hair out, and having to go for a stiff drink afterwards. #distraught musings of a coach of a genius

50 minutes ago, SSS said:

Yeah the us one was 104 now 84? Don't tell me the price was high because of WC month...Lol

The shipping is expensive though because Amazon put it in a big box which has air pillows. It is originally 250g but with box it is 750g.

I wouldn't be surprised. Amazon definitely does pricing based on demand so even if no one there knew about WC their algorithms probably detected a surge in views or purchases of pooh-related items :P 

4 minutes ago, gladi said:

You're right, that is nothing short of amazing. In terms of training the other quad jumps reversely improving his 4T, I imagine it's similar to how variation and variability have a role in motor development and that knowing the other jumps help differentiate and clarify the small details of what should be done in 4T. Sort of like polishing it without him actually doing it? On the other hand, I remember in Ice Jewels Vol 5, he mentioned how doing 4Lo reversely helped him with 4S :laughing::facepalm:

As for the fear, I am truly curious how he managed to overcome that. (Clearly Yuzuru is not me with my bicycle, but I only get more scared after a long hiatus. Same deal with working out.) And I wonder if it's a similar train of thought (or a completely different one) that brought him to the decision of Chopin. In a way, he manages not only outsiders' expectations but also his own mentality with his choice of program.  

That is a curious question, about the improvement of the 4T. In fact, if I remember right, @mcq and I were discussing his 4T and how it didn't have the quality that it used to have prior to this season - which of course now, in context of it all, it makes perfect sense. I mean we knew he had reduced the training of it, it was logical, but at the time we were missing all this info that kind of makes the situation even more difficult than I at least originally thought, from both aspects, physical and mental.
And it wasn't as good as it used to be but it was still stable, which made it all the more remarkable. I think maybe it was a combination of several things, what you mentioned there helping out, then when he perhaps increased the frequency of practicing it as his foot fully healed, maybe he could use those small details even more efficiently, etc. 

You know, If I were to guess? I think what maybe helped overcome the fear is that it was stable. So even with the lack of practice, his 4T still worked because as a jump it was truly ingrained in his memory. Maybe not as good but it was there for him and it's possible that helped. But I'm only guessing as his mind is quite unique so it's difficult!
(I still haven't digested all my thoughts on Chopin so I am bowing out of that one!)

2 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

That is a curious question, about the improvement of the 4T. In fact, if I remember right, @mcq and I were discussing his 4T and how it didn't have the quality that it used to have prior to this season - which of course now, in context of it all, it makes perfect sense. I mean we knew he had reduced the training of it, it was logical, but at the time we were missing all this info that kind of makes the situation even more difficult than I at least originally thought, from both aspects, physical and mental.
And it wasn't as good as it used to be but it was still stable, which made it all the more remarkable. I think maybe it was a combination of several things, what you mentioned there helping out, then when he perhaps increased the frequency of practicing it as his foot fully healed, maybe he could use those small details even more efficiently, etc. 

You know, If I were to guess? I think what maybe helped overcome the fear is that it was stable. So even with the lack of practice, his 4T still worked because as a jump it was truly ingrained in his memory. Maybe not as good but it was there for him and it's possible that helped. But I'm only guessing as his mind is quite unique so it's difficult!
(I still haven't digested all my thoughts on Chopin so I am bowing out of that one!)

Yes, yes! I remember that too. When we compared his 4T in H&L versus in SEIMEI, and it was just a better jump. On the other hand, he never did 4T in the first half with H&L so it was hard to gauge. And spins, too, were collateral? A mix of his focus on the 4Lo and also the lack of stamina training at that point.

"Stability" does make a huge difference, doesn't it? I forgot when Tracy said it, but "trust your knees" right? Especially when he wasn't so confident or he was tired, he'd lean forward more than he should in the landing. Clearly, he always had a beautiful jump in the 4T, and it was perhaps more a matter of feeling confident enough to execute it as is.

23 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I wouldn't be surprised. Amazon definitely does pricing based on demand so even if no one there knew about WC their algorithms probably detected a surge in views or purchases of pooh-related items :P 

Hmm. They are not directly sold by Amazon. The sellers always put "only 3 left"...:facepalm: 

Going to do research on Yuzu's tissue box color :)

4 minutes ago, gladi said:

Yes, yes! I remember that too. When we compared his 4T in H&L versus in SEIMEI, and it was just a better jump. On the other hand, he never did 4T in the first half with H&L so it was hard to gauge. And spins, too, were collateral? A mix of his focus on the 4Lo and also the lack of stamina training at that point.

"Stability" does make a huge difference, doesn't it? I forgot when Tracy said it, but "trust your knees" right? Especially when he wasn't so confident or he was tired, he'd lean forward more than he should in the landing. Clearly, he always had a beautiful jump in the 4T, and it was perhaps more a matter of feeling confident enough to execute it as is.

Ha, yes! All the talk about his spins :facepalm: 
Looking back now, in this context, I'd say you're exactly right. Collateral indeed, and curious too. I wonder how much stamina issues were his usual plus in this case, focus on the 4Lo, plus the injury itself, or rather the consequences of it. So we could even say focus on the 4Lo may have counted twice! I am curious what we'll get from him now.

And it does, doesn't it? It's also kind of curious how eventually the season, and this upcoming season, is sort of revolving around that in various ways. Perhaps holding on to what he knew was not going to betray him, like the 4T and surely the 3A, and in the larger context expanding from the new way of looking at things and the 'higher average' to what we have now, which is even a step further, while incorporating others' way of thinking, into what works for him. So we did get to Chopin after all ;) 
It really does make a huge difference, in various ways, but I'd say one of the most important ones, is his peace of mind. 

Just now, Hydroblade said:

you mean the innards of Pooh?

Yeah! I know the brand he uses is fancy...going to find a similar one and plug it in lol 

Just found out that I became a tissue box:pbow:

Just now, SSS said:

Yeah! I know the brand he uses is fancy...going to find a similar one and plug it in lol 

Just found out that I became a tissue box:pbow:

I thought it was a good ol' kleenex brand with pooh drawings on the box. Someone on twitter posted the box :P after doing some detective work

Reading that Brian interview, which is so insightful and made me smile so much, makes me feel like this year was such a productive year for Yuzuru. Its beginning was hard and the ground unstable, and Yuzuru was (as always, we could say) aiming for something that would make him overcome himself, be a better skater than himself. He succeeded in basically everything he set himself up to do (okay, everything except that 4CC gold LOL). I think it was the best preparation for Olympics he could ever get. Not for Olympics only, but in general for his professional growth. 

This is why it sounds so ridiculous when people speak of him as an 'old' skater who should start to give space to his successors. 

Oh, believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet. 

16 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I thought it was a good ol' kleenex brand with pooh drawings on the box. Someone on twitter posted the box :P after doing some detective work

Kleenex with pooh drawing sounds familiar. Wait..that's the brand I bought ...Maybe I have a golden/ yellow one :space:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Reading that Brian interview, which is so insightful and made me smile so much, makes me feel like this year was such a productive year for Yuzuru. Its beginning was hard and the ground unstable, and Yuzuru was (as always, we could say) aiming for something that would make him overcome himself, be a better skater than himself. He succeeded in basically everything he set himself up to do (okay, everything except that 4CC gold LOL). I think it was the best preparation for Olympics he could ever get. Not for Olympics only, but in general for his professional growth. 

This is why it sounds so ridiculous when people speak of him as an 'old' skater who should start to give space to his successors. 

Oh, believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet. 

Haha, well, somethings we leave as tradition (until it's time to break it ;)) Indeed the labeling of him as an 'old skater' and all the assumptions that go with it is quite weird. The fact that the narrative was somewhat pervasive too, bothers me quite a lot. Sometimes I think it's the "day and age"... fast food, instant gratification, disruption being the key. But it is also the way the field is, gold fish memory that extends to maybe the last competition and some weird desire to herald the next greatest ever (is it?! is it not?!).