General Yuzuru Chat

Okay I've finally caught up with this thread (and now for me it's already past time to go to sleep:10636614:)

It's very interesting how there are so many opinions and everyone add fresh details and different perspectives, I feel my own personal view expanded as well.

I was rewatching some old documentaries about Yuzu from 2012-2013 season and I was struck by how much he has grown while still remaining "himself". I'm feeling so proud right now:pbow:

He talked a lot about evolving, and being consistent was indeed one of the things he wanted to achieve, with the Olympics in mind. I also had to smile when they talked about working on his skating skill first, and Brian stressed the importance of good foundations. Now I see how Yuzuru has become and I can see that it worked marvellously well, and Brian was right on this and Yuzuru was right in trusting him despite his hunger for quads. In a way I am lucky that I could discover the "final product" (I don't mean the word in a bad way) without having to endure all the process. I can just watch and gush without losing my hair (poor Brian...he was still so fit and with all his hair that first year...:xD:)

I've also realized this talk about Chopin 3.0 and upgrades is the first real trial I'm facing since I became a Yuzu fan (sorry but I refused to watch or read anything related to him for a whole week during both 4CC and Worlds, and even WTT, I  just searched the final results, I'm such a weakling:embSwan:)

I think those of you who have been there from the start are...very brave.:grouphug:

I've seen Yuzuru's ups and dawns, I've read of some controversial choices, but I already knew the final outcame (usually a glorious one:laughing:). Now I'm experiencing the real thing, and even if I've said to myself "I'll trust his choices because he knows better",  I can't help but feel a bit of worry. But thinking back about all that happened when I was still blissfully ignorant of the existence of Yuzuru, I've concluded that I'll just try to be patient and wait to see how things will evolve, because I'm sure there will be more surprises and more debates to come:2lbkos0:

By the way (totally random change of topic) does anyone know if there will be a day of rest for the men event between SP and LP? I know in Sochi there wasn't and the LP was a splatfest. I really don't want another one next year just because these poor guys aren't allowed to take a breath.

Ok, now I'm going to sleep:moon94:

40 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

By the way (totally random change of topic) does anyone know if there will be a day of rest for the men event between SP and LP? I know in Sochi there wasn't and the LP was a splatfest. I really don't want another one next year just because these poor guys aren't allowed to take a breath.

Ok, now I'm going to sleep:moon94:

There is no break between the SP and LP, once again.  They could have EASILY staggered Mens and Pairs because they air 4 days in a row, but nooo. Each one is back to back days. Not counting the team competition, the only discipline with a break is the ladies event. 

Just now, beki said:

Chopin costumes may be as controversial as layouts and Olympic music choices :smiley-taunt006:

I am a defender of the gold cutouts; I adore 2.0 costume. Gold is what we're going for after all :2lbkos0:

:smiley-taunt014: I'm still traumatized with the ACI version, okay?:rofl:He can have all the gold dust if he wants. :smiley-love017: Never gold pants, though. NEVER! :facepalm:

Returned from reality and found gazillions of pages impossible to catch up lol

Enjoyed reading all the comments. You guys are so talented and I learned a lot as a new fan, especially the Baroque music part :P

(Just discovered the homepage is in our native language! Thank you mods and admins this forum is amazing!)

A few thoughts on Chopin 3.0 (Long post and very personal opinion warning)

To me Yuzu is now in a totally different place from Patrick in Sochi, that is, the judges are trying to score him down, not like when they were ready to crown Patrick as OGM in 2014. Yes, people might not like the idea of a threepeat program, but If he goes for a completely new program and fails to skate clean, there is no way the judges are going to throw him candies for "pushing the sport forward". Not to mention Yuzu's goal is not only to win OGM, but also to win it with two clean performances. He will never be happy about another Sochi-like Gold. I guess there's no need to reiterate how the SP gap would not be too great if everyone goes clean so I won't consider Yuzu "playing it safe" before news of the LP.(Personally I doubt there'll be a SEIMEI2.0. Chopin1.0 was never clean so it can be perfected, while SEIMEI is a different case.)

OTOH, non-FS fans may have a different attitude towards reused programs. I dragged my mom to watch FaOI with me on Sunday and she actually said something very interesting. She still thought skaters change programs every competition during this year's Worlds, but when I told her this was Yuzu's third year using Chopin, she said, well, if it's a real beautiful program, why change it anyway? She basically thinks if a program doesn't work well, dump it next competition; if it does well each time, keep it forever. I honestly didn't know how to respond because it's a sport, and we can always expect new programs from ice shows. (By the way, she liked Boyang better than Shoma and Nathan because he had much more facial expressions OTZ)

Sorry for bringing back this topic from a few pages before... I just want to say although Chopin is not my favourite program, I LOVE that costume! I do expect something new as long as it's still blue, but I'll also be over the moon if he chose to bring back the costume from 1.0. Oh, I LOVE the color, and the sleeves sooooo much.:10742289:

10 hours ago, Étudeesque said:

Also talking of Chopin 1.0, Yuzuru's 3A at Skate Canada 2015,  a performance I suspect is a bit overlooked due to his mistakes in it is absolutely fantastic - it is huuuuuge and the lenght of the spread eagles :bow: :13877886: :goe:

His 3A is gorgeouss :goe: idk but I found his 3A at 2016 GPF the one who always stopped my heart :68556365: the high kick after that is awesome

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

Interview translation I came across today, which I think is interesting in the light of recent discussions. Original video.

Edit: Don't know if there's a full translation of the video somewhere.

Not fully done with the video yet, but the boy really has no chill. The chinese subtitles in there, he talked about how back then, around the time of Sochi, he was only 1/4 rotation off from a full quad axel. And I guess the quad lutz is something he's waiting to fully refine when he's done with the shows...much as I feel sorry for Brian's hair, think his hair is used to this by now. 

1 minute ago, yana said:

DBDmg8ZVYAEzljJ.jpg

Yuzu look tall eventhough he uncomfortable standing

Slouching!Yuzu in a terrible suit. :laughing: Mai looks gorgeous! And Shoma's rocking that suit. See, Yuzu, even your kouhai has better fashion sense than you do.

20 hours ago, Floria said:

This is what I wonder sometimes. Worlds Men SP lasted four hours. By the end of it I was exhausted (well, I was rooting for Yuzu :smile:) and I was basically sitting on sofa all the time. I can only guess how judges are feeling at the end of a long competition. Do they really do a great deal of thinking when giving scores to the last group of skaters? In that sense GPs and GPF should be much easier. 

I remember sitting through the skating competition for 4 days, 10 hours per days, giving out calls and not even know who just performed (like hell I care about their name)... and by the end of the competition, I am sure the judges just wanted to say bye. I doubt that the judges really care who perform to their heart. They only give scores based on their taste (and because the competition is just a low level one, no one did politics here). And if the music sounds familiar and easy to their ears, that's a bonus actually.

So Yuzuru does not have to worry that the judges will say: "gezz you reuse this for the 3rd time??"

Instead, most of the judges do not care. They might even say: "Oh this is nice music, aha!"

Not to mention, there are no other men trying to skate to Chopin Ballade No.1 like Yuzuru. So it is not like they will suffer 29879764738 POTO in one competition.