General Yuzuru Chat

As a matter of fact, Mercury isn’t exactly your typical Western man - he’s from Zanzibar, a Farsi. And he was quite modest and pretty reserved in his ordinary life, they say. On the stage, a different persona emerged - with pretty flamboyant way of dressing and totally outrageous and fun way of behaving. Hugely talented and best to keeping the audience in the palm of his hand. 

You don’t have to be only Caucasian to become a rock star. 

6 minutes ago, eagle said:

Not skaters of course. Off hand, hmm, Freddie Mercury leaves an impression. He was the one who popularised We will rock you.

From US , Bruce SPringsteen. These are 1980s guys.  Michael Jackson was pop star

It's ok ya all, younger generation taste is different. The younger generation can go gaga over Justin Bieber(which we facepalm at,hahaha) so I would reckon the current rockstar landscape is different

Sorry, the question was - who among the SKATERS, not rock stars. 

2 minutes ago, eagle said:

Not skaters of course. Off hand, hmm, Freddie Mercury leaves an impression. He was the one who popularised We will rock you.

From US , Bruce SPringsteen. These are 1980s guys.  Michael Jackson was pop star

It's ok ya all, younger generation taste is different. The younger generation can go gaga over Justin Bieber(which we facepalm at,hahaha) so I would reckon the current rockstar landscape is different

Then I am guessing it's just a different interpretation of what 'rockstar aura' means to you and the rest of us. 

If you pitch Yuzu against a literal rockstar, of course he would not measure up. The same way literal rockstars would not measure up to Yuzu in figure skating.

'Rockstar aura' in my book means owning the stage and demanding audience to enjoy your performance the same way you enjoy it. And in figure skating, that's Yuzu.

Also, may I suggest to be a little more careful with the generational generalisation? Cz boy would that turn ugly in no time.

16 minutes ago, Fay said:

Yeah, but you’re confusing real ordinary life and performing on the ice. Every single skater aims at becoming a different persona while performing - and Japanese skaters are more successful at it than most. I’m a fair judge - as most of us are - because I’m non-Asian. 

And Yuzu just rocks. he’s a natural with stuff like PW and LGC. 

Yeah, there is/are members who take offence to me saying the restrained part, when in fact being restrained a part of Asian culture. We are supposed to be restrained, seesssh.

3 minutes ago, Fay said:

As a matter of fact, Mercury isn’t exactly your typical Western man - he’s from Zanzibar, a Farsi. And he was quite modest and pretty reserved in his ordinary life, they say. On the stage, a different persona emerged - with pretty flamboyant way of dressing and totally outrageous and fun way of behaving. Hugely talented and best to keeping the audience in the palm of his hand. 

You don’t have to be only Caucasian to become a rock star. 

Yep. I just remembered that Jim Morrison was so shy he sang with his back to the audience during early performances by the Doors. One of the most charismatic rockstars at your service. 

18 時間前, yuzuangelさんが言いました:

Yeah I think they mean only men's skater to win:

Jr Worlds

Jr GPF

Olympics

Worlds

GPF

4CC or Europeans

?

Plushenko won the lot except for Jr GPF because it had not be created yet. Yuna Kim has also won it all, as have Tessa and Scott.

17 時間前, cinemacoconutさんが言いました:

Oh man if only Yuzu knew this. He will go to 4CC to get gold before he retires lol. 4CC 3 silver curse come on break!!! 

Is OK. His 2nd OGM can stand in for his missing 4CC gold. Remember when Chan tried to console himself back in Sochi, saying how his 2 silvers there are as good as a gold to him? Hanyu can psych himself up the same way. It works out, mathematically. More or less.

I mean it's the only big event gold medal he has one more extra of when compared to the rest on the list. So he could just haphazardly slap "4CC" over the 5 Olympic rings on his pC gold (it'd work too since 4CC 17 was in PC, how convenient, it's gotta be a sign) and demand entry into the 4CC gold member's club. If the bouncers don't scrutinize too much, he may be able to get in. If they start asking questions like saying how they remembered that the champion for that 4CC was an Asian-looking dude with bigger hair, he could just claim they must have been stoned then or that he got a new hairdo because hey, Asian-looking dude!

The multiple OGm club has a lot less people and they're all so much older than him. It'd be like one of them high society clubs. As such, a lot less lively than the 4CC one.  Hanyu would rot there. And so many of his friends are in the other one, like even Nobu is there. And Boyang! Yup. 4CC gold member's club is where it's at.

8 minutes ago, eagle said:

Yeah, there is/are members who take offence to me saying the restrained part, when in fact being restrained a part of Asian culture. We are supposed to be restrained, seesssh.

Er... sorry if I offended you. But there are ways for even most restrained people to find channels to become free. As I said before, Japanese skaters - Takahashi, Mao, Yuzu, Shoma, Wakaba, Kaori, Mai etc - are very intense and very unrestrained on the ice. The only restrained skater might be Satoko, though even she channels her emotions very well. 

Why do you persist the code of behaviour that insists you should behave in a restrained way should not be abandoned anywhere? It just isn’t what happens when someone performs. 

5 minutes ago, eagle said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if any offense was taken it’s not because anyone considers restrained a bad attribute. It’s because you assume Yuzu restained based on the fact that he is Japanese. 

5 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Also, may I suggest to be a little more careful with the generational generalisation? Cz boy would that turn ugly in no time.

It's normal discussion. The fans need not be so sensitive as to take offence to the 'generational' thingy. If that also want to be sensitive, oh gosh..... hahaha

People can have different opinion on the term 'rockstar' but part of the reason why Yuzu is labelled the Rockstar of figure skating is to the amount of mass reaction from media and audience in the figure skating community which is not common. And many people did say that LGC was not suitable for Yuzu during the earlier season but once he did the most clean performance during GPF, people started agreeing that he suited it even commentators and coaches. So for Yuzu, he's basically was on the double standard because so many people has high expectations for him.

Personally, I feel he played his role in LGC. It wasn't supposed to be a copy of Prince but it was just Yuzu. If you look back on Hello I love you or PW, LGC is a performance that showed how he matured as a skater and as a 23 year old man. Back then he was just as playful but he oozes a different aura with LGC if we look back from his past performances. And ever since junior Yuzu was not shy with his emotions when he's on the ice. Even a Japanese coach called him out saying it's very un-japanese of him to act like the way he did. So LGC for me was a very fun program that I would say "it's like watching him doing a playful concert with his fans and judges"

btw I'm also asian :peace:

9 minutes ago, eagle said:

i honestly wouldn't ever use the word 'restrained' to describe any of yuzuru's programs, lol, even the quieter ones. i don't necessarily think culture-specific social rules are/need to be reflected in performances the way you're saying, or that they're indicative of a skater's capabilities in terms of how they can interpret different kinds of music.

Fitting the current subject I just found this German article http://www.dw.com/de/yuzuru-hanyu-der-schüchterne-star/a-42624116

The title goes "Yuzuru Hanyu- the shy star" the article later says that Yuzu is generally considered shy. I'm completely lost to where that comes from because he is anything but shy.... I think in a lot of cases people's own observations of Yuzu (and other Japnese skaters) are overwritten by their preconceptions of what Japanese/Asian people are like. They don't bother properly observing Yuzu and taking a look at him which influences his reputation which in return influences how judges score him and that is harmful. So I think we should be careful in how we project our cultural preconceptions on skaters

一小時前, eagle說:

On LGC, I'll put it down to me being old school. I get it on Yuzu trying to be his own brand of rockstar, doesnt come across as that either for me. Yuzu is Yuzu, he doesnt have rockstar aura, he doesnt need to be one. Japanese are naturally more restrained anyway.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I loved Yuzu's H&L performance, not so much cos of the WR but the subtle nuances. That's Yuzu & very Japanese, lol.

The main point I was addressing on the - Yuzu felt audience not appreciating him trying out LGC& Hope & Legacy topic. I vaguely recall Orser saying in an interview that he(Orser) felt it was too quiet but Yuzu wanted to do it anyway.

About Yuzu’s H&L, my views and feelings are very different from the majority of people.

I LOVE and TREASURE it so much since the 1st time I saw it in AC (on the Internet) in 2016. I even hoped that he could use it as his LP for PCOG as it’s the most POWERFUL and RELIABLE program (refer to supernatural powers). I expressed that in GS before the establishment of our home here.

Of course, after 2017 World, more people like it and many are moved by it.