General Yuzuru Chat

19 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Come to think of it, it's pretty strange an athlete of his mantle and fame doesn't seem to have any sportswear as a sponsor. Like didn't Kanako used to have Adidas as a sponsor when she was still competing? I find it hard to believe that none approached him for an endorsement so the only other reason I can think of is he didn't accept any. And like @xeyra said, he already endorses UA of his own free will so...

I wonder if Edea and JW Blades have to pay athletes for using their image for advertising purposes, since it doesn't seem like skaters are getting freebies from them. Or maybe they have a deal where they're given good discounts in exchange for permission to use their image for promotional reasons? So curious...

I have a senior who was a national athlete. She rejected sportwear sponsorship because she wanted to be able to dress up on her own free will. She hated to be bound by one brand bc she told me there were often times where the designers got weird ideas and you didn’t want to wear it. She said she’s no Serena Williams or Sharapova to be able to voice out opinions on the clothes. So maybe Yuzu is like that too? Like some of his endorse stuff are “Yuzuru Hanyu Limited Edition”. He seems like a type that wants to participate for stuff he’s releasing. His UA got some cool stuff written on it. However, UA prefers popular American sports, so the chance for Yuzu to release his own things would be close to zero. He is also a detailed and stubborn person. He probably feels really comfortable wearing his UA practice clothes that he doesn’t want to compromise wearing other brands?? Bc well for me personally, I can only wear adidas for tennis shoes and Wilson for rackets. I can’t compromise for those things, even with freebies and getting paid bc it really affects my performance. 

Oh and also as a national athlete doesn’t you get money for your expenses? Bc I got it even when I’m just a junior team... and I’m faaaaarrrr from a superstar. Also, idk if JSF has some brand sponsorship, bc it could be the reason too.

32 分, kichesさんが言いました:

Does Phiten not count?

During Nationals he almost always wears a white jacket with Nike’s logo on it. As far as I can at Nationals tell he’s the only one that does so I didn’t consider it a Team Japan thing. 

Hmm, I suppose it does but he was already using their stuff before they approached him for endorsement, I think. Like probably not as many as now but he was already a user. I seem to recall him wearing something of theirs back when he was still 15 or 16...

Aren't the jackets he wears to Nats provided to him by ANA? Cos that's when he officially represents them as their skater. So it really doesn't matter what the brand is, just like those JSF tracksuits are from Mizuno.

Speaking of which, the one for this season is really nice. Hehe.

30 分, b138ooさんが言いました:

I have a senior who was a national athlete. She rejected sportwear sponsorship because she wanted to be able to dress up on her own free will. She hated to be bound by one brand bc she told me there were often times where the designers got weird ideas and you didn’t want to wear it. She said she’s no Serena Williams or Sharapova to be able to voice out opinions on the clothes. So maybe Yuzu is like that too? Like some of his endorse stuff are “Yuzuru Hanyu Limited Edition”. He seems like a type that wants to participate for stuff he’s releasing. His UA got some cool stuff written on it. However, UA prefers popular American sports, so the chance for Yuzu to release his own things would be close to zero. He is also a detailed and stubborn person. He probably feels really comfortable wearing his UA practice clothes that he doesn’t want to compromise wearing other brands?? Bc well for me personally, I can only wear adidas for tennis shoes and Wilson for rackets. I can’t compromise for those things, even with freebies and getting paid bc it really affects my performance. 

That's probably a factor. Plus, I also don't think he accepts sponsorships beyond what's necessary or endorses anything that reflects his choices as being purely capitalistic because of where he came from. Like, he doesn't capitalize off of his skating very much or in a very visible way likely due to the sensibilities he has as a victim of the Tohoku disaster, where his reason to continue skating seemed to have taken on a more profound meaning.

All in all, there's probably a dozen factors why he doesn't endorse anything overly huge. And none of the major deals he signed seemed to show a relationship where they own him and where they both profit purely in ¥¥¥ anyway. Like, ANA doesn't use him or any of the athletes they sponsor like endorsers. They seem more like a full-fledged backer of their athletes, since theirs is more like a support program. His relationship with P&G also seems to go beyond simply sponsor and endorser, as well. 

S'ok that he doesn't seem to have huge endorsement contracts with apparel companies, though. I think he gets a lot of stuff from fans and affiliates, anyway, who give it to him out of good will and nothing else. And it's nice to see him walking around with different brands of clothing rather than just the one. (:

12 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Hmm, I suppose it does but he was already using their stuff before they approached him for endorsement, I think. Like probably not as many as now but he was already a user. I seem to recall him wearing something of theirs back when he was still 15 or 16...

Isn't the jacket he wears to Nats provided to him by ANA? Cos that's when he officially represents them as their skater. So it really doesn't matter what the brand is, just like those JSF tracksuits are from Mizuno.

Speaking of which, the one for this season is really nice. Hehe.

Ah yes, that jacket must be from ANA but I think the fact that the Nike logo is on there and in a prominent place is on purpose. Likely he's required to wear ANA's sportswear during Nationals and ANA probably has a contract with Nike for the athletes they endorse, which is why we don't see him with the Nike logo elsewhere.

I assume Mizuno sponsors the Japanese athletes along with several other companies. I'm pretty sure I've seen Kose on those Team Japan jackets as well.

27 分, kichesさんが言いました:

Ah yes, that jacket must be from ANA but I think the fact that the Nike logo is on there and in a prominent place is on purpose. Likely he's required to wear ANA's sportswear during Nationals and ANA probably has a contract with Nike for the athletes they endorse, which is why we don't see him with the Nike logo elsewhere.

I assume Mizuno sponsors the Japanese athletes along with several other companies. I'm pretty sure I've seen Kose on those Team Japan jackets as well.

Yeah, which means those are all purely deals between these companies and the sponsors/federation and have absolutely no bearing on the athletes as individuals.

Those JSF track suits are sponsored by Mizuno but they have to show other JSF sponsors as well so you see those other badges from KOSÉ, LOTTE, Nichirei and I think maybe one other company.

15 分, b138ooさんが言いました:

I think in Yuzu’s case, his main sponsor is ANA and any other else are just endorsement deals? 

*nods* P&G is probably the only major endorsement deal he signed. And even then, it's not like your usual kinda thing.

Everything else seem rather minor in comparison. LOTTE's probably a JSF thing so I don't think that's something he could really say no to (despite his claims of being happy about it since he loves chocolate and Ghana especially and all that..and Xylish is also part of this deal so). There's the pillow company, the bathing salt company...and I may be missing one or two more since all these things he endorses aren't exactly in-your-face kinda brands/products. In fact, his choice to endorse them all seem rather straightforward, simple and obvious, lol. Like P&G, they are all stuff him and his family can enjoy using so freebie!11! (What brand is that air mat thing he travels with?)

Other things like the blood donation campaign seem to be more PSAish so those don't really count.

He doesn’t have talent agency that represents him right? His mom does most his affairs and stuff? The stuff he endorse seem to be Mom related stuff. Like the dude is 22 year old, you would think he be endorsing clothes, shoes or video games. :shrug:

Eta: I would add alcohol but he don’t drink. :laughing:

38 分, xeyraさんが言いました:

Plus, wasn't Yuzu advised post his win at Sochi to limit his endorsements to only a few? Yuzuru Hanyu is a brand too and you don't want to dilute it by making it less of an exclusive thing. 

That and I think practicality has a lot to do with it as well. He trains on the the other side of the world so his work commitments would have to be in an amount where he can conceivably fit into a tight schedule when he is in Japan for an extended period time (for the express purpose of shows and work obligations such as these). So far LOTTE and P&G seem to require most time from him. The rest all seem to require less. So I think his commercial dealings all have to fit into this neat and efficient little timeline he has going on.

14 分, Sammieさんが言いました:

He doesn’t have talent agency that represents him right? His mom does most his affairs and stuff? The stuff he endorse seem to be Mom related stuff. Like the dude is 22 year old, you would think he be endorsing clothes, shoes or video games. :shrug:

Could also be his way of saying thank you to his family for all they have done and sacrificed for him and his dreams. I mean, if he wanted to go for those other fun stuff, I doubt his mom would say no but maybe he thinks he's got everything he's ever wanted in the form of skating. And earphones. And that snazzy little custom player he's got. All the other good things that come with his career he probably feels he can give to those he feels truly deserves them. (:

EDIT: He did do that one game commercial though. LOL. Maybe he'll do some more like that in the future.

EDIT2: Oh, just realized someone mentioned it below already.

10 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Eta: I would add alcohol but he don’t drink. :laughing:

I think we just figured out a reason for the P&G deal.....Mama Hanyu needs her yearly supply of household items :laughing: