General Yuzuru Chat

In all honesty, I feel WTT TS aren't as non-existent as one might think. If they were, Medvedeva's wouldn't have been listed as the current WR TS for ladies. I didn't realize they counted until I saw that. Which was a wake-up call to me cos this means that even if TS aren't mentioned unless one is a new record, they're still there. And for anyone who cares to look, and believe you me Hanyu does--cos, yanno, chillax as he is and all--they'll see that Uno's scores there were much higher than Hanyu's, even if they technically weren't competing against one another.

So even if no one seems to be considering it, the potential of Uno doing it again in a comp people care more about isn't a far-fetched one, not because of how high Uno scored, because those certainly weren't his best scores that season (still over 300 tho), but how low Hanyu did, which even if they weren't exactly super low, with the field as deep as it is now, it's practically sub-zero level. And no thanks to his FS at ACI, he scored even below that there. Chen...well Chen's already beaten him once before at 4CC. 

But WTT...I dunno about Uno but Hanyu sure as heck didn't look like he was looking at that comp as fluff. Like I said before, he looked more constipated there than in any other comps that season because to him, it's yet another comp where he had to put out a good showing--especially his SP--and because he couldn't relax and enjoy himself and went the opposite direction instead to a degree that's further than other comps, he flubbed it. And I think it's precisely how low he scored for his SP there, on home ground, in a fluff comp where people usually have less trouble acing--and the only time he did worse was in Canada at the start of the season--that he finally decided on sticking to Chopin for the Oly season.That's a pretty huge effect, if you asked me.

Hypothetically, had Uno scored more than 330 there, which, thank heavens he was far from doing, but if he did, he'd have rewritten the WR officially. Doesn't matter if people roll their eyes at it even if that happened, Hanyu wouldn't have, and official records are official for a reason, regardless of how little regard it gets because of where it's done.

I mean it's fine if people want to dismiss the comp and write it off as nothing, as what's been said about it here isn't false (except for the part about the TS being non-existent) and as fans, it's probably better to not put so much stock in a comp like WTT, but I think some things shouldn't be overlooked or trivialized either, especially if you're a competitor, cos even comps like these have things to teach.

No one has to agree with me, of course. I'm not setting this up as an argument at all, but as my two cents and change to say that I feel differently about that comp than most here do.

5 時間前, SSSさんが言いました:

I always think 4cc gold was robbed...

But hey. This way at least no one can point accusing fingers at him and say he's always winning with mistakes, against a guy who skated clean(ish) and landed more quads and, as such, is sooooo obviously better and is really oughta be kicking the asses of anyone who has less, no ifs or buts, regardless of whether or not they're clean because I know so much better than everyone else. >_<  9.9 Lol.

*shrug* Iunno, I accept it cos it just goes to show his victories aren't handed to him. He fights tooth and nail and earns every damn decimal point, even the ones that are more rewarded based on the judges' whims (re: PCS). Nothing comes for free for this guy. Nor does he want it to.

And really, I think Button sees all that, even as he claims to not pay much attention to men's competitions these days, and even if Hanyu's ever-evolving style isn't really the old boy's cup of tea, which is why he, a dude famed for pulling zero punches (even at times it's unwarranted) and epic rants, kept his opinions on Hanyu purely objective when directly asked for them and acquiesed to sending him personally written well-wishes, cos, yanno, he doesn't strike me as the sort who can be made to do things he doesn't want to do and I highly doubt doing something like that for someone he doesn't respect ranks high on his bucket list.

But hmmm, I think these kinda things, like who should really have won, will always be...subjective...which I think contributes quite significantly as to why the Julius Caesar within Hanyu doesn't just want to win at the Olys, he wants to win big. Like, big big. Huge. Unfathomably so. As in, no-room-for-argument, everyone-must-bow-down-to-me and haters-can-all-go-home-and-write-their-official-letters-to-the-world-telling-it-they're-suing-it big. Like, everyone-else-did-so-well-they-all-now-have-their-own-planets-in-this-galaxy-as-well-but-me-I'm-just-gonna-warp-around-in-those-other-galaxies-gazillions-upon-gazillions-of-light-years-away-noone-on-Earth-will-ever-be-able-to-fathom-the-existence-of big. 8D

And if the stars aligned for him, and for everyone else invested in him, and for the future of men's FS as a whole, he can make it happen too. It's really not out of the realm of possibility for him. And he knows it. That's the most fearsome part about him.

Edit: Just saw the post above. What does "one foot can be used a year" mean? Is he saying he changes his boots one side at a time? Does Edea sell them separately like that? I mean if one alone is worth 50,000 yen, it'd be kinder if they did...

^NBC and all others who are doing the same should keep at it cos the more pot shots they fire at him, the more he's going to want to fire back with something that annihilates. I mean he did give them the ammo, so it's up to him to return fire with some kind of devastating giant laser beam he's probably been building in his basement for ages. He probably has a series of them in varying degrees of devastating power, some of which he's already unleashed in the past. Right now, he just needs to perfect their aiming and locking system, especially that largest cannon beam one that he's promised is in the works.

Based on all the flack he got in the past as an up-and-comer and looking at certain whole shelves in stores filled all through with his visage now, a lot of which are publications that only started existing after his rise (yay economy!), the front page stories on newspapers he's garnered through the years and the surge of products bearing his grinning visage gracing just about every store selling them whenever his time arrives...well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be an anti living in Japan right now.

There are battles and there are wars and I don't think the former was ever what he was looking at winning. 

So yeah, I hope they keep at their efforts in awakening the sleeping dragon. I mean, it did already growl its warning. 8D

I think everyone in men's field currently goes into competition like they are gonna end up behind Yuzu. That takes a whole load off pressure off your shoulders no? If you go in and is expecting yourself to win, you are setting yourself up so high and that might be the single most powerful fact that works against you. And Yuzu has been performing like that since last 4 years. Every competition has that expectation and obviously, as a human being, he would fail in some of them. All the others, especially in Yuzu starring events go in as 'let me do my best and see where I end up in the scale' attitude. Especially Shoma and Boyang. That's why they are more consistent. Nathan beat Yuzu once and that I think was the biggest weight he carried to worlds. He knew he could beat Yuzu and emerge as winner and for once he had the pressure that Yuzu has in ever competition. And we know how Nathan did boot issues aside. 

What I am trying to say is, mere mortals would have succumbed to that pressure ages ago, and Yuzu still goes on, like a warrior. So, if he fails occasionally, like in worlds SP or WTT, it is because who he is and the pedestal we have put him on, and the other guys does perform more evenly and consistently because they are at a much better place. I just wish everyone saw this. Especially media and commentators. 

I feel like Javi who constantly competes well against Yuzu  should be applauded in this area as he knows he can beat him if Yuzu underperformed but he still manages that pressure pretty well. May be that's what experience does to you. 

PS: I love zhenya but she bores me so much. I have never seen her programmes more than once or waited breathlessly for her competition results. Consistency can be pretty nice, but Yuzu's human-ness is,if he performed well, that would be otherworldly and if he fails, it's heartbreaking and still spectacular somehow. I love that about him.