General Yuzuru Chat

Just now, SparkleSalad said:

That would save a lot of time but I I don't think it's technically possible to make it any shorter. 

Especially the oh-god-that-ankle-looks-like-it's-separating-completely-from-him-and-spinspinspin(spin). Also called the lutz by the unenlightened. Whatever are they thinking.

Just now, SparkleSalad said:

I can't wait to see that one! 

He does have an excellent edge. This is part of why I get so annoyed with flutzers and lippers. I'm not nearly good enough to figure out which jump is which without textbook technique. What am I supposed to make of flutzes and lips? Why won't these figure skaters (who spend the primes of their lives trying to become the best they can possibly be at doing things I cannot even imagine doing) be more considerate to me and my dilemmas?

59 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Ah, I was far too blinded dazzled by that delayed single to even notice that twizzle before the triple during that. Now I see it, but the practice was better. *sighs*

It's right there?

NHK's Swan is my favorite.. There are some beautiful little details that you only get to see here :7938863: 

ohhh god,  I'm trying so hard to limit my fs consumption but I just caaaaaan't... :13877886: 

Just now, WinForPooh said:

He does have an excellent edge. This is part of why I get so annoyed with flutzers and lippers. I'm not nearly good enough to figure out which jump is which without textbook technique. What am I supposed to make of flutzes and lips? Why won't these figure skaters (who spend the primes of their lives trying to become the best they can possibly be at doing things I cannot even imagine doing) be more considerate to me and my dilemmas?

A good non-feet analysing clue I found early on is the set-up time. Lutz's take longer than flips. 

1 minute ago, Smultron said:

NHK's Swan is my favorite.. There are some beautiful little details that you only get to see here :7938863: 

ohhh god,  I'm trying so hard to limit my fs consumption but I just caaaaaan't... :13877886: 

Lol trying is useless. Give it up already! Just accept your fate and offer up your soul.

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Really?

I must test this theory by watching a million videos. Yes, I must. Deadline? What deadline?

And usually flips have a 3-turn entrance. Here, let Yuna show you the 3F and here's Yuna and Lysacek showing us a 3Lz. See the difference?

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Really?

I must test this theory by watching a million videos. Yes, I must. Deadline? What deadline?

Flutzer always try to switch to the outside edge then the last mili second before leaving the ice they switch back to the inside edge so it’s easy to see. Or maybe it’s just me. 

20 minutes ago, meoima said:

Flutzer always try to switch to the outside edge then the last mili second before leaving the ice they switch back to the inside edge so it’s easy to see. Or maybe it’s just me. 

I know that in theory, but I think it takes a practised eye to see it when it's really happening. I obviously don't have a practised eye yet, at any rate. I can see it after it's pointed out but during, I'm not good at it.

Apparently half the judges are as bad as I am, that is not a good thing at all.

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

And usually flips have a 3-turn entrance. Here, let Yuna show you the 3F and here's Yuna and Lysacek showing us a 3Lz. See the difference?

I see the difference - and boy, I do wish I had discovered this obsession when she was still skating.

However I do not see the difference if they change edge at the last moment without slow motion replay. :/ I guess that will come with lots of watching figure skating. What a punishment that will be. :biggrin:

I'm not linking any video to show what I mean because all the flutz videos on YouTube seems to be Medvedeva bashing. It does seem in slow motion like her lutz needs work, but the number of videos comparing her to Yuna seems excessive. Her choreo doesn't appeal to me but really, a lot of people seem to really really hate her!

26 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I see the difference - and boy, I do wish I had discovered this obsession when she was still skating.

However I do not see the difference if they change edge at the last moment without slow motion replay. :/ I guess that will come with lots of watching figure skating. What a punishment that will be. :biggrin:

I'm not linking any video to show what I mean because all the flutz videos on YouTube seems to be Medvedeva bashing. It does seem in slow motion like her lutz needs work, but the number of videos comparing her to Yuna seems excessive. Her choreo doesn't appeal to me but really, a lot of people seem to really really hate her!

I have found that where a skater enters the Lutz jump with a Loop-like entry (legs crossed like an X), it's likely that they are a flutzer. The entry seems to be a common technique for making it easier to maintain the outside edge until takeoff, although it's not foolproof. Usually I watch for a subtle, quick movement of the general ankle area just before takeoff to identify flutzes.