General Yuzuru Chat

My concern about Yuzu doing shows is that he will forget himself and do something reckless. At least at TCC he's surrounded by coaches who I believe have been instructed to yell at him if he gets carried away with the jumping.

I don't think he would forget himself to such extent. He's well aware that there are Olympics ahead and he need to stay healthy.

Yeah, he's 22 and not an idiot. He'll moderate himself.

(now watch him jump 4Lz at every gala just to prove me wrong...........)

That may not be a bad thing? I mean it depends where the 4Lz is; it isn't any more dangerous than it would be if he were simply practicing it. What I mean is at the start he does it in a harness but after that, it's simply a matter of practice so even if he does, and we know the 4Lz was around 60%, then it's fine. The trick is not to over-do it, and here we need to believe he knows his own body and limits by now and will honor them (and I think he will).

I'm listening to the latest PJ Kwong podcast with Takeshi Honda... God he speaks english so well ! And Dai speaks well english too !

Why can't Yuzu speak as well as them ? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why should he? Why should he be like someone else? :eh:

It's not about being like someone else, it's about improving one's English :)

That may not be a bad thing? I mean it depends where the 4Lz is; it isn't any more dangerous than it would be if he were simply practicing it. What I mean is at the start he does it in a harness but after that, it's simply a matter of practice so even if he does, and we know the 4Lz was around 60%, then it's fine. The trick is not to over-do it, and here we need to believe he knows his own body and limits by now and will honor them (and I think he will).

Yeah. Plus it'd serve as more practice time to get it consistent enough for him to think about adding it.

Yeah. Plus it'd serve as more practice time to get it consistent enough for him to think about adding it.

Definitely, it's one of those benefits of shows. Plus as a low-stress situation, it makes it good to ease into it all.

My concern about Yuzu doing shows is that he will forget himself and do something reckless. At least at TCC he's surrounded by coaches who I believe have been instructed to yell at him if he gets carried away with the jumping.

I am not worried about it. I think he finally learned about keeping himself healthy and it showed at WTT gala.

I'm listening to the latest PJ Kwong podcast with Takeshi Honda... God he speaks english so well ! And Dai speaks well english too !

Why can't Yuzu speak as well as them ? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think its a bit of indifference from him and a bit of antisocial nature.

He is very intelligent and very well spoken even at 16, so it is not because he cant, its just he may be thinking that he doesnt need it? He majorly interacts with Japanese folks and plans to live in Japan and so he deems it not necessary. And it can also be because he is nervous about language in Public and may have really good vocab in private. I used to be really terrible in spoken english until i got a job that demanded i had to.

And personally, i think his english is good, its just that when too many cameras and mikes are on his face and he is tired from a competition, he just talks about a simple answer which is not elaborate. So that he can just finish it and go away. :acceptable:

I don't think he would forget himself to such extent. He's well aware that there are Olympics ahead and he need to stay healthy.

Yeah, he's 22 and not an idiot. He'll moderate himself.

He's a very smart guy, I'm sure he understands how much is at stake now to be reckless and jump quads left and right.

Positive thinking is everything. :pooh: :smile:

As someone who isn't fluent in any language but English, while I appreciate it when other nationalities learn to speak it I don't think it should be compulsory! Especially just after all the demands that competing puts on the athletes. Also the Japanese media is bad enough - I don't imagine he wants to encourage any of the others to pitch in to that extent.

Can anyone translate what did Zhenya say about Yuzuru in this interview?

https://jp.sputniknews.com/opinion/201705053608807/

From google trans, lol correct me if I am wrong but it seems like the magazine ask Zhenya if she likes Hanyu??? Lolol please Japanese native speaker answer this. :rofl2:

She dodged though.

The other stuff seems like old stuff where she said he is inspirational, the best etc etc.

Roughly translated the first part of the interview (after that is more about herself.)

Sputnic: How does Hanyu inspire you? Why do you want to skate with him?

Zhenya: He inspires me as an athlete. Today many skaters see him as a role model. He is peerless as an athlete and no one would question that.

Sputnic: On internet we can find many photos of you two together. Don’t you like him not only as an athlete but also as a young man?

Zhenya: I don’t want to answer such question. I’ve made friends with many skaters from many countries in the first place. They are from the USA, Japan, China, Korea, France, Philippine… almost everywhere in the world. We all get along with each other really well. In competitions, we try to spend good time together because we don’t have much time to get together. Basically we talk in English. Sometimes we get together in someone’s room and have a chat or watch movies and videos.

ETA:

This site is more like a Japanese branch of this news site than a Japanese media.

I would've liked to see her face! I wonder if it looked like Yuzu's when the kids asked him about the marriage plans :space:

https://vine.co/v/ih1HuOaTrP0

I think its a bit of indifference from him and a bit of antisocial nature.

He is very intelligent and very well spoken even at 16, so it is not because he cant, its just he may be thinking that he doesnt need it? He majorly interacts with Japanese folks and plans to live in Japan and so he deems it not necessary. And it can also be because he is nervous about language in Public and may have really good vocab in private. I used to be really terrible in spoken english until i got a job that demanded i had to.

And personally, i think his english is good, its just that when too many cameras and mikes are on his face and he is tired from a competition, he just talks about a simple answer which is not elaborate. So that he can just finish it and go away. :acceptable:

I'm not saying his English is terrible either :) it's actually OK for the purposes he needs it for. There's always room for improvement, I myself is just an average learner but if he doesn't want to become fluent, it's his choice and I respect it.

Yeah, we're talking about the guy gunning for 2018 Olympics in 2004 when he was 10. This has been the biggest goal of his life. There's no way he'll approach it in a reckless manner. Especially after the experience with previous 2 seasons.