General Yuzuru Chat

16 minutes ago, kamotejojo said:

Hibernation is over for that gnawing, nervous creature inside my stomach. :13877886:

Pino has a clip:

Ah... I love the way Yuzu talks about this; he's in the mental frame of mind where he wants this to be the biggest 'peak' for him, the shining culmination of everything he's been working hard for and everything about how he talks about the Olympics is directed at this idea. I'm just hoping really hard he won't put too much pressure on himself, but I also very much believe in him ;;

Anyway in the clip, he says that when he thinks about the Olympics, they are not only a culmination of 4yrs but a culmination of his entire life of skating. He wants to take the fruits from 18yrs worth of experiences and join them to create a final product that states 'this is who Yuzuru Hanyu is.' 

1 minute ago, kaerb said:

Ah... I love the way Yuzu talks about this; he's in the mental frame of mind where he wants this to be the biggest 'peak' for him. I'm just hoping hoping he won't put too much pressure on himself, but I also very much believe in him ;;

Anyway in the clip, he says the Olympics are not only a culmination of 4yrs but a culmination of his entire life of skating. He wants to take the fruits from 18yrs worth of experiences and join them to create a final product that states 'this is who Yuzuru Hanyu is.' 

God, talking abt not putting pressure on himself ...  :13877886:he is so doing it!

1 minute ago, ralucutzagy said:

God, talking abt not putting pressure on himself ...  :13877886:he is so doing it!

I can't imagine how it must feel to have your entire life kind of culminate into a single moment that could make or break everything. I'm not sure if the right way to deal with the situation is to admit to yourself that this is it, this means everything to me and roll with it (a la Yuzu) or try to put it into perspective, minimise it and treat it as a regular thing (a la Eteri-style?). Can only hope his solution is the right way for him - it terrifies me, but that's because I don't like putting all my emotional eggs into one basket, so to speak (but this is...also why I'm not an elite athlete LOL) 

7 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I can't imagine how it must feel to have your entire life kind of culminate into a single moment that could make or break everything. I'm not sure if the right way to deal with the situation is to admit to yourself that this is it, this means everything to me and roll with it (a la Yuzu) or try to put it into perspective, minimise it and treat it as a regular thing (a la Eteri-style?). Can only hope his solution is the right way for him - it terrifies me, but that's because I don't like putting all my emotional eggs into one basket, so to speak (but this is...also why I'm not an elite athlete LOL) 

Damn, reading this and thinking of what's coming to us in abt 3 weeks, I already feel my stomach giving me panic signals!!! :dpooh:

25 minutes ago, kaerb said:
29 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

I guess Yuzu just can't work properly without putting all he has in line. :dpooh:

But I hope he's learned his lessons from the past and he will be able to channel the pressure he puts onto himself into somerhing that will make him soar even higher.

Thanks to our awesome @gladi for her new translation!!! The bolded parts are always on point :laughing:

I also want to show greater depth. I think, it’s quite a waste for both of these programs to end here (without having had everything teased out). That is why, I chose Ballade No.1 and SEIMEI.”

Yes to this. I want to see how further Yuzuru can go with these programs and I will enjoy want to see him show everyone he has no fear nor limit because he’s just that good.

There is still some way to go in terms of stability, and amongst everything, that is my biggest shortcoming on my mind––How much, to what degree, can I crush and obliterate that weakness? I think that’s the most critical this season.”

Yuzu scares me all the time sometimes.

CRUSH AND OBLITERATE. :rofl::smiley-scared003::popcorn::smiley-scared007:(sorry couldn't decide which one was the most fitting emoticon:13877886:)

According to Hanyu, he and “programs of wa” are on the same wavelength.

Yuzu and “wa” are a match made in heaven.

Seimei is such a unique program because it roots in one of those typical Yuzu dychotomies – strength and delicacy –. It’s not a warhorse but it’s captivating, commanding and yet graceful too.

I would also like to show a ‘Japanese Yuzuru Hanyu’ through my performance.”

9 hours ago, kaeryth said:

This is also how you try further a sport that is sometimes very much stuck in it's western standard ways and how you break away from norms like warhorses and tangos - and he seems to be the only one in a position to do that right now.

I agree that what Yuzu does – going beyond the typical western-ish fs programs – is going to be great for figure skating in general.

I find it unfair that despite the beautiful variety of music we have out there, a lot of skaters from many different cultures end challenging a rather small selection of mainly western music. Classical music aside, even when they venture to more modern pieces, the overwhelming majority of them are western. It would be great if FS could be more like cousine (forgive me the rather trivial simile:slinkaway:). Tradition, exploration, reinvention, mixing.

Yuzu has reached the maturity (and let's say the international leverage?) to challenge the boundaries of what’s “usual”.  

He feels pride in his roots and culture, and why should he not? At the same time it's not some flaunting-it-in-your face kind of pride, but a quiet, positive feeling of admiration and affection that’s far far far from mere nationalism. I guess he wants to skate with these feelings on the biggest stage of all. Olympic stage is definitely the one where he can take pride in the culture that nurtured him. After all, it did have a big role in shaping the man and the athlete he is.

Currenlty offtopic, but I also love that Yuzu’s skating, programs AND costumes challenge the usual boundaries of what, at least in western culture, is considered male or feminine. Of course we can’t forget Johnny Weir and others before him, but Yuzuru is a way bigger name in fs now, maybe more people will take strength from him he proved you can be on top of the world even if you defy some stuffy prejudices about gender and maybe everyone will able to skate in their own unique way and not to meet some other people’s expectations.

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

Ah... I love the way Yuzu talks about this; he's in the mental frame of mind where he wants this to be the biggest 'peak' for him, the shining culmination of everything he's been working hard for and everything about how he talks about the Olympics is directed at this idea. I'm just hoping really hard he won't put too much pressure on himself, but I also very much believe in him ;;

Anyway in the clip, he says that when he thinks about the Olympics, they are not only a culmination of 4yrs but a culmination of his entire life of skating. He wants to take the fruits from 18yrs worth of experiences and join them to create a final product that states 'this is who Yuzuru Hanyu is.' 

Somehow, I don't really get as much a sense of pressure from this. If anything, it's more strength and confidence. Mostly, though, it's very matter of fact, because this has sort of been his plan all along. So rather than 'everything is culminating here' nervousness, it's more like: 'finally getting close to completing this goal'. To me... And we know he already seems to have ideas of wants to do afterwards, so it's not really the final countdown, either. I can't really explain it, but I don't think this 'culmination of 18 years of skating life' is a pressure thing. On the contrary...

However, on the other topic, it's true that there is a fine line between very confident and too confident. And when that line is crossed, it's easy to make stupid mistakes. (From a personal perspective, in Maths tests in high school, I always managed to do well on the most difficult exercises, which I was nervous about, but often made mistakes on the easy ones I was confident about.) Also, failing when you're feeling confident feels so much worse than failing when you're not so confident. So, yes, a balance is necessary.

But I think Yuzu is in a good confident place now. And if he crosses in the too confident part, that should show in the early days and he'll work on it. (I also tend to think that he's leaving himself room to increase difficulty, if he feels like adding a challenge to keep himself on his toes.)

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

We don't know what his plans are because he is a f*..ng TROLL :crazyshit2: but for sure he will definitely kick ass once the season start and I definitely believe if/or at one point someone else interrupts his 'plans' ( could also be the judges fault.. ) he'll be so salty about it and then he will show us something amazing just so to scream "this is who Yuzuru Hanyu is." :68468287: :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:  :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

May our hearts stay strong during the process :13877886:

http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/post/81057871753/i-hope-no-one-missed-out-on-this-scene-at-first/amp

Step 1. Prepare drip bucket.

Step 2. Click for gifs.

Step 3. Have your heart melted.

Step 4. Pour bucket full of melted heart into heart-shaped container. Refreeze. 

"I hope no one missed out on this scene.  At first glance, it looks like Yuzuru borrowed a Japanese flag from someone in the audience.  It wasn’t as simple as that.  Yuzuru quickly realizes that the person he borrowed the flag from was a fan of Tatsuki with a gift in her hand.  He tells Tatsuki after taking the picture to give back the flag.  Tatsuki realizes why when he starts skating towards the group of ladies.  The fan was able to give Tatsuki the gift in person."

15 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Somehow, I don't really get as much a sense of pressure from this. If anything, it's more strength and confidence. Mostly, though, it's very matter of fact, because this has sort of been his plan all along. So rather than 'everything is culminating here' nervousness, it's more like: 'finally getting close to completing this goal'. To me... And we know he already seems to have ideas of wants to do afterwards, so it's not really the final countdown, either. I can't really explain it, but I don't think this 'culmination of 18 years of skating life' is a pressure thing. On the contrary...

However, on the other topic, it's true that there is a fine line between very confident and too confident. And when that line is crossed, it's easy to make stupid mistakes. (From a personal perspective, in Maths tests in high school, I always managed to do well on the most difficult exercises, which I was nervous about, but often made mistakes on the easy ones I was confident about.) Also, failing when you're feeling confident feels so much worse than failing when you're not so confident. So, yes, a balance is necessary.

But I think Yuzu is in a good confident place now. And if he crosses in the too confident part, that should show in the early days and he'll work on it. (I also tend to think that he's leaving himself room to increase difficulty, if he feels like adding a challenge to keep himself on his toes.)

You're right in that Yuzu's tone is that of anticipation more than nerves/pressure and I do think his attitude going in is very much on the right track (you need an amazing amount of self confidence to be a world champion of any sort so I would never raise an eyebrow at Yuzu for his determination and self belief esp because he never needs to put anyone down or cast aspersions in the process).

Personally though, it's the weight and significance he's placing on that one skate ('the culmination'/the ideal/the peak of his entire life) along with his determination to skate perfectly throughout the whole season that makes me slightly nervous. I am fully aware this may just be personal projection from a natural pessimist - I find that I perform better when I'm not thinking too hard about the significance/gravity of whatever I'm doing or building expectation of any particular outcome - so all I can say is that I believe Yuzu will prove me wrong :notamused:

4 minutes ago, kaerb said:

You're right in that Yuzu's tone is that of anticipation more than nerves/pressure and I do think his attitude going in is very much on the right track (you need an amazing amount of self confidence to be a world champion of any sort so I would never raise an eyebrow at Yuzu for his determination and self belief esp because he never needs to put anyone down or cast aspersions in the process).

Personally though, it's the weight and significance he's placing on that one skate ('the culmination'/the ideal/the peak of his entire life) along with his determination to skate perfectly throughout the whole season that makes me slightly nervous. I am fully aware this may just be personal projection from a natural pessimist - I find that I perform better when I'm not thinking too hard about the significance/gravity of whatever I'm doing or building expectation of any particular outcome - so all I can say is that I believe Yuzu will prove me wrong :notamused:

I'm not sure he's aiming for perfection in every skate throughout the season, but he is probably aiming for as few mistakes as possible and some perfect fine-tuning throughout the season. I'm not sure everything being perfect from the start would be such a good thing. He might do that increasing difficulty thing then... But who knows, maybe he's being all grown up about it and will hold back on such impulses lol

But I know what you mean, I'm the same. The more you pile "this is it!" pressure on me, the worse it is. With Yuzu, I have absolutely no doubt that he can do it, face the pressure, and blow the minds of everyone. Whether he will or not... that's for us to have heart attacks in the process of finding out lol

And that new Pino video is actually kind of :crazyshit: from what I understood. While I think it's really brave for Takahashi to come out and talk about losing his confidence, I wonder if there are still crazy fans of his ready to hate Yuzu even more after watching this...