General Yuzuru Chat

jinabee said:
Omg I wish I knew about this before XD

Also if anyone was wondering, the final piece of the puzzle...

Combined score averages and trends:

2010-11: 214.61

2011-12: 238.87 (+24.3)

2012-13: 257.25 (+17.38)

2013-14: 273.95 (+17.70)

2014-15: 267.01 (-6.95)

2015-16: 295.18 (+28.17)

2016-17: 289.75 (-5.42)

I think both 2014-15 AND 2015-16 should be counted as outliers :laugh: IA that while the trend might go down for the 16-17 season it's more because 15-16 had some extremely high scores that mess with the average, his scores were fairly stable this season. The points difference between the highest and lowest combined score for 2015-16 is 70.89 points while the difference for 16-17 season is 61.02 (which is still pretty big but it's also Autumn classic vs Worlds)

Well, yeah NHK and GPF really bring the average up for that season. But even if this season he does not score higher than what he received at NHK, you can see that his average score is still pretty high because on average, he did well.

One other thing to note is that his layout makes his score suffer more when he does not land his jump (for example, if he flops his 4S3T combo, he probably would just receive 3 pts for that, due to the +Combo punishment, while other skaters who do their combo first is likely not going to lose so many points when they failed their jump). This is one of the reason why I think though average score gives you an overall image of someone's consistency and progress, it is not necessary accurate. Some mistakes are more costly in points than others. :D

liha said:
mcq said:
Prokofiev's RnJ for SP and Tchaikovsky RnJ for LP :P 

:sadPooh: 

Look, he needs to complete the RnJ bingo. Besides, he could still be montague or capulet :laughing:

i mean...if it's yuzu...I think he can sell any warhorse programme to me. I kinda like POTO :bow: 

I am not worried about his programme choice, I think he is aware how he should choose it + he is mature enough to excel (and surpass) a warhorse programme

I have said this many times, even if he skates to something people have skated to 1000 times, as long as he wins, it doesn't matter. I am fine with all.

But I know he will have some great choices. In my dream, he skates to an explosive program like Romeo 1.0

I think he wants to bring that fire back.

cherry said:
i mean...if it's yuzu...I think he can sell any warhorse programme to me. I kinda like POTO :bow: 

I am not worried about his programme choice, I think he is aware how he should choose it + he is mature enough to excel (and surpass) a warhorse programme

Exactly. At this point I trust his taste in costumes, too. I'm prepared to llike it all already :pbow: 

meoima said:
I have said this many times, even if he skates to something people have skated to 1000 times, as long as he wins, it doesn't matter. I am fine with all.

But I know he will have some great choices. In my dream, he skates to an explosive program like Romeo 1.0

same :space:  R&J 1.0 is one of my all-time favourites.

Yuzu is a hot-blooded and passionate athlete and I particularly love it when he displays this in his performance. I still remember NHK 2015 Despite Chopin being a classical and ethereal piece, he can't hold back his killer look at the end of the programme. love it.

My thoughts exactly. The only thing that counts in competition is what you actually do on the ice, not what you could have done. Pointing out trends in how subjective scores are given (be it GOEs or PCs) is one thing, but if someone flubbed a 3F they flubbed a 3F. End of discussion.

But whatever: people will be people and there's always going to be somebody trying to excuse their fave. It's the double standard that bugs me.

And it completely undermines what has been done on ice. THAT Worlds FS wasn't enough for them? He scaled a very high wall and threw down the gauntlet. The main contenders had the door wide open and a big bowl of candy by the foyer. It's not Yuzuru's fault that they didn't pickup the gauntlet. Only Boyang did, but alas his PCS is not at that level yet. That's why I think Boyang Jin has a big chance to podium at Pyeongchang.

EXACTLY! Yuzuru did as much as anyone could have done with the situation he was in. Most of his direct rivals went into the FS ahead of him, especially Shoma and Javi, so if they'd made just a little less mistakes that would've been it. But that's competition for you: you have a handful of minutes and that's it; many things can happen, and you get no do-overs.

Boyang's grown on me a lot this season. It's a pity he gets mostly overlooked, I'm very much with you on him being a very serious podium contender for PC.

PomeloPooh said:

One correction: Boyang actually didn't have any mistake; he's the only double-clean guy in this Worlds. I'd say he'd have won if he were from a more powerful federation & had a better skating skill coach as a kid :s_yes but that's not really a "what-if" :smile: he pretty much did his best.

And agree with the Patrick karma thing. Sometimes it seems to me that having too many WCG (esp. controversial ones) can do the opposite to one's OG momentum. In that respect I feel that Yuzu has just the right amount by now :grin: He can always add more WCGs to his collection later if he's not quite satisfied with what he already has :bow: :bow: :bow:

If I remember correctly he's missed second part of his opening combo in LP. It cost him about 3-4 points and if Javi could go little better Jin could lost his medal (now I'm feeling I'm getting too involve with this if things) But yep in comparison to the others he was pretty clean. And also pretty happy with his bronze.

Absolutely agree with it. After some point WGmedals without OG are like unnecessary pressure for athletes. Some athletes in different disciplines have few and more WGM and none OM. Unfortunately Olympics this kind of tricky thing.

In example I felt like Javier don't really want that third World title. Only thing he wants now is Olympic medal. And I wish it to him, silver or at least bronze. He deserves it and let's be honest it's his last chance to be on Olympic podium.

cherry said:

I think it's because he added his own touches with POTO. And none of his POTO performances were completely similar. That's Space Pooh for you! :love: 

meoima said:

If he wins with R&J 3.0 and boobskirt black edition, I will be all for it! I have to hide from you though. :whiteflag:

Yatagarasu said:
mcq said:
Prokofiev's RnJ for SP and Tchaikovsky RnJ for LP :P 

I don't think Tchaikovsky for the LP is so far fetched actually! :P 

For the SP I lean more towards rock, jazz, pop but the LP, yeah.

Why have 1 RnJ when you can have 2 :P 

(But if it came true I am going to laugh myself silly, trust me)

I feel like he would do PW/LGC kind of program too for SP. Or who knows maybe he opt for a calm one like Chopin and then goes with something extra dramatic for the LP.

@Anna, totally agree with you.

(English far away from my native language also :))

If...

If Javi didn't fall, doubled his triple, stumbled on other few jumps and simply didn't mess his whole LP he surely would have won.

If Shoma could show nearly clean landings, instead of shaky and stiff ones (I'm not saying anything about his take off because it seems they just refuse to notice it) he'd have won.

If Boyang didn't do mistakes he'd have won.

If Patrick could putt on more difficult program and went clean with it he'd have won.

If Nathan could try to show real skating instead of jumping or at least did whatever he was without mistakes he'd have won.

Too much "if..." don't you think? It was not like in cases when one little mistake could cost a title.

Exactly my thought. All the "What if skater X didn't do that or that..."-talk is futile in my opinion because skater X did exactly that or that. You can't change the past.

(I hope my post makes sense to you. English isn't my native language)

As another example from Worlds what ifs...

What if Yuzu hadn't had an issue with his combo in the SP?

He might not have won with only a 2-point difference in that case...

Then he could broke WR in both SP and LP and people finally might accept the fact that he's the best.

But sometimes I'm guessing could he produce THIS H&L without that fire of anger and disappointment at himself after SP? Maybe it's even better that he was fifth after SP.

Anyways I love conclusion of this story.

mcq said:
Why have 1 RnJ when you can have 2 :P 

(But if it came true I am going to laugh myself silly, trust me)

I feel like he would do PW/LGC kind of program too for SP. Or who knows maybe he opt for a calm one like Chopin and then goes with something extra dramatic for the LP.

We''ll both laugh ourselves silly.

Yes, my thoughts are pretty much that. He'll go for PW/LGC in the short, and something classical in the long. Honestly I don't see another Chopin in the short but who knows. And with the classical in the long he can have a nice mix of something calmer that escalates into dramatic too, so he could have a mix there. I wouldn't mind that. It may not be 'original' as a music option but it'd work.