General Yuzuru Chat

On 8/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, yumeaki said:

Yuzu is a ninja to the bone. Always appear suddenly and drop surprising news. I doubt he will marry someone on a whim so he might have dated his current wife for a while. How he did that is beyond me.

Congratulations, Yuzu! Have a blissful marriage!

I'm still adjusting to the news.  Will there ever be a time when I'm fully adjusted?  I doubt it.  That Yuzu somehow concealed this supreme secret does not surprise me.  We should all know by now that Yuzu only allows us to see what he wants us to see.  His monklike existence at TCC is clear evidence of that, plus the fact that even in Sendai the house where he lives remains a mystery.  If someone knew it you can be sure they'd have spread the information.  Like his jumps on the ice that 'come out of nowhere', his marriage is the same, coming out of nowhere.  Now the great secret is 'Who is she?' (assuming it's a she since even Yuzu's gender orientation is a question in progress).  I imagine right now in Japan the speculation as to who Mrs Hanyu is is the number one question on people's minds.  Will the world ever know?  Perhaps not.  As I said, Yuzu only allows us to see what he wants us to see.

Coming back from the my forum retirement just to express how happy I am, reading the news from Yuzu himself yesterday! :cheer:

I don’t think I got this happy even at my best friend’s wedding LLOLL :rofl3:

Very relieved to know he has had someone at his side for, what I imagine at least, the last year or so! Is always heartwarming to see someone you care about starting a family on their own terms, so I’m genuinely very happy! 

This English news article from Kyodo News includes some nice comments from regular people :happy:

"Fans celebrate Japanese figure skating star Yuzuru Hanyu's marriage" (August 5, 2023)

Link: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023/08/bfc1e2bf99d3-fans-celebrate-japanese-figure-skating-star-hanyus-marriage.html

Also on Twitter if you would like to RT the article:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

After 1 day of processing the news,it still feel surreal to me.Just wondering now how much we know about Yuzuru personal life.Of course i am happy for his marriage,it just that this announcement bring so much more questions and also with the questions and themes of loneliness that depicted throughout all his ice shows and how he was perceived before..I dont know if this is bugging anyone else..and till i see Yuzu live..this question is will always be on my mind.

On 8/5/2023 at 8:13 PM, lynnidolz said:

After 1 day of processing the news,it still feel surreal to me.Just wondering now how much we know about Yuzuru personal life.Of course i am happy for his marriage,it just that this announcement bring so much more questions and also with the questions and themes of loneliness that depicted throughout all his ice shows and how he was perceived before..I dont know if this is bugging anyone else..and till i see Yuzu live..this question is will always be on my mind.

Yes i agree with you. 1 day has past. i am totally convinced but it is still doesn't feel quite real. very probably it's not gonna felt real until we saw them together (which is very uncertain)

4 hours ago, Newprogramsplease said:

I agree with your post! I see some face palm comments about him being gay on tiktok and Twitter even after his marriage announcement... facepalm 😓🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

He's been talking about his ideal girl for a long time. Even when he was a Junior he said he liked kawaii (cute looking) girls instead of bijin (pretty) girls.

(The interview was at his ice rink when he was a Junior after he won Jr Worlds and they also asked the same quiz to Murakami Kanako). He said in this same interview he finds Horikita Maki (Japanese actress) attractive and his ideal type.

But there was a big section of fans who chose to ignore all his interviews for a long time. Even with Oda, he said he wanted to marry a wife around 25/26 and when Oda said he will be a good papa, Yuzu said "yes!". (Faoi backstage interview)

So I think the honest part of the fandom knew for a long time he would be marrying a girl 😉

I guess we will have to be well- behaved fanyus during his forthcoming ice shows🤪

Yuzu is such a crowd teaser and when he turned sexy (his devilish smile, smirk look, exposing his abs in see through outfit etc), all fanyus gone bonkers ....things have changed now😉

Can we still drool over someone's husband? 🤪

Re: the theme of loneliness in Yuzuru's work - I follow this Jfanyu on Twitter for their fanart, but I also agree with what they said in this post below:

Machine translation: "I thought the loneliness of GIFT is not so much the loneliness of having no one around you (physically), but rather the loneliness of having to accomplish things on your own, and almost losing sight of yourself and your dreams when you can't or won't succeed despite your best efforts.

That interpretation won't particularly change in the future."

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
29 minutes ago, SomewhereYuzu said:

Re: the theme of loneliness in Yuzuru's work - I follow this Jfanyu on Twitter for their fanart, but I also agree with what they said in this post below:

Machine translation: "I thought the loneliness of GIFT is not so much the loneliness of having no one around you (physically), but rather the loneliness of having to accomplish things on your own, and almost losing sight of yourself and your dreams when you can't or won't succeed despite your best efforts.

That interpretation won't particularly change in the future."

You are correct and just to add. Some of the themes of loneliness are from Yuzu's past as well as his present, for instance making sacrifices in order to train, not playing with friends in order to train, going to competitions and being out on the rink to compete alone, leaving his home town to go to Toronto, training at night, taking some decisions, feeling isolated. There are many activities, decisions, actions which only the individual can make, that can be a lonely task even if other people are present. 

2 hours ago, lynnidolz said:

As someone else already said, I think the loneliness was about his choices within his love for skating and the things he felt he had to do to be the best in order to give something back to his hometown/his people and everyone who was affected by the huge tragedy when he was just starting off in seniors. That's a big burden to carry. It's not something someone else made him carry but he felt like he had to give back something because he was one of the lucky ones.

He seems to have a supportive family from what he's always said so it's not like a romantic partner would be the only emotional support either, but people often have feelings that are harder for themselves based on their own thoughts, even if all the people around them are loving and supportive. A personal emotional journey can be different from the journey you have with the love people in your life bring to you. Either way, I hope he's learning not to feel so burdened because he's more than given back to his hometown and people around him with what he's achieved and donated.

2 minutes ago, Conspirata said:

As someone else already said, I think the loneliness was about his choices within his love for skating and the things he felt he had to do to be the best in order to give something back to his hometown/his people and everyone who was affected by the huge tragedy when he was just starting off in seniors. That's a big burden to carry. It's not something someone else made him carry but he felt like he had to give back something because he was one of the lucky ones.

He seems to have a supportive family from what he's always said so it's not like a romantic partner would be the only emotional support either, but people often have feelings that are harder for themselves based on their own thoughts, even if all the people around them are loving and supportive. A personal emotional journey can be different from the journey you have with the love people in your life bring to you. Either way, I hope he's learning not to feel so burdened because he's more than given back to his hometown and people around him with what he's achieved and donated.

It seemed as if something changed after March 11th this year when Yuzu skated an especially poignant Notte Stellata and Haru Yo Koi at the Notte Stellata show. Yuzu appeared to be a little less burdened almost as if by sharing his experience through the skate performances he had passed some of the emotional load to the spectators. 

4 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

It seemed as if something changed after March 11th this year when Yuzu skated an especially poignant Notte Stellata and Haru Yo Koi at the Notte Stellata show. Yuzu appeared to be a little less burdened almost as if by sharing his experience through the skate performances he had passed some of the emotional load to the spectators. 

I wouldn't say passed on the emotional load to spectators, just because it sounds like he's trying to make it someone else's problem lol, but I do understand what you mean! Notte Stellata seemed very cathartic for him overall. I think maybe part of him was so focused on doing his best in a sport that was judged by others in order to win (and thus give back to everyone) for so long, and that he then had to figure out how he would still do his best to reward an eager audience as a pro skater afterwards, so just retiring from competition wasn't its own relief. But the run of successful solo shows and the group show he led for Notte Stellata finally got him to a place where he's relatively unburdened. Both because he's rid of the scoring cycle but also because he addressed his own worries of being able to manage a solo career in a way that was both artistically fulfilling and a sustainable career option.

I can't imagine him being anything less than 150% focused on anything he does in the future still, but after a year of being solo, there must be some great relief that his love for skating is still something that is rewarding even after competitions. And that he has the experience now with a year of solo stuff under his belt to not have to be as concerned about whether people will still buy tickets or appreciate his efforts and feelings.

1 hour ago, LAY said:

I guess we will have to be well- behaved fanyus during his forthcoming ice shows🤪

Yuzu is such a crowd teaser and when he turned sexy (his devilish smile, smirk look, exposing his abs in see through outfit etc), all fanyus gone bonkers ....things have changed now😉

Can we still drool over someone's husband? 🤪

Yes he is a crowd teaser 😜. I believe there will be some congrats from the fans anyway. Maybe in posters like usual or as at arenas was done, each person holds a letter or word. In my opinion this would be nice to do for him. 

4 minutes ago, Conspirata said:

I wouldn't say passed on the emotional load to spectators, just because it sounds like he's trying to make it someone else's problem lol, but I do understand what you mean! Notte Stellata seemed very cathartic for him overall. I think maybe part of him was so focused on doing his best in a sport that was judged by others in order to win (and thus give back to everyone) for so long, and that he then had to figure out how he would still do his best to reward an eager audience as a pro skater afterwards, so just retiring from competition wasn't its own relief. But the run of successful solo shows and the group show he led for Notte Stellata finally got him to a place where he's relatively unburdened. Both because he's rid of the scoring cycle but also because he addressed his own worries of being able to manage a solo career in a way that was both artistically fulfilling and a sustainable career option.

I can't imagine him being anything less than 150% focused on anything he does in the future still, but after a year of being solo, there must be some great relief that his love for skating is still something that is rewarding even after competitions. And that he has the experience now with a year of solo stuff under his belt to not have to be as concerned about whether people will still buy tickets or appreciate his efforts and feelings.

Sorry, it was not expressed very well. Yuzu cannot be the only person who is trying to rebuild a region on his own, it is not humanly possible. If people wish to rebuild they can all participate and all take a share of the responsibility. Perhaps that makes more sense.