General Yuzuru Chat

Guest Mary_kyo

I find a little bit of joy knowing that by this withdrawal, ISU won’t rob him and JSF won’t use him as stepping stone for their faves. He won’t be the ATM machine of ISU for this one competition, especially after so many new fans he has gained after Beijing. I also find little joy thinking at how he managed to unlock China’s market only for himself (I bet it made many officials/skaters jealous). He will have a brilliant future, no matter what he chooses. :coolio:

I have this side which loves to see Yuzu competing for a long time (because his skills are only improving and he has a lot more to offer) but I have another dark side, that doesn’t like to witness him getting screwed by almost everyone (ISU, JSF, judges, officials, media, even team Japan, etc) while they shed crocodile tears, mumbling empty praises of “Yuzu! Legend!”. Honestly, I’m not too eager to watch him compete against skaters such as Nathan or Yuma because there will never be a fair competition with such skaters. So, I’m slowly reaching to the point that as long as I get to watch him skate somewhere, I wouldn’t mind him putting this dead sport behind himself. He has sacrificed a lot, always competed with honesty and integrity but what did FS community do to him in response other than unfair mistreatment? What did his own federation do other than desperately trying to bury his career alive in the past 4 (actually 6) years for the sake of new favorite stars? This will be a very super hard decision for him. because if he still chooses to continue, they will lowball him even more. 

29 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

doesn’t like to witness him getting screwed by almost everyone (ISU, JSF, judges, officials, media, even team Japan, etc) while they shed crocodile tears, mumbling empty praises of “Yuzu! Legend!”. Honestly, I’m not too eager to watch him compete against skaters such as Nathan or Yuma because there will never be a fair competition with such skaters

SAME!!! Hearing about Yuzuru's withdrawal today, despite me having tickets for Worlds, I only felt relief that he has withdrawn - ofc he needs his ankle to heal, but my main reason for the sense of relief is I understand NC is attending Worlds (confirmed?? not sure) and I could not bear to see Yuzu beaten by him again with underscoring of Yuzu and inflated scoring of Nathan - it's unbearable tbh.  The last time I saw Yuzuru live was Dec 2019 at GPF and I dont want to experience that type of humiliation of Yuzuru again (ridiculous 40 point gap!!!) (although the pooh rain was fabulous, the audience was fabulous at the victory ceremony with Yuzu being the evident champ in most people's eyes with the loudest and most enthusiastic response, and Yuzuru really felt that and noticed it, and also, the most beautiful Swanyu at the gala :softYuzu:)

Anyway Mr Lurker Hanyu, rest and heal, wherever you skate next in whatever capacity, competitive or professional, we will be watching and loving every second of your  performances and supporting you, as always!

Guest Mary_kyo
32 minutes ago, Pammi said:

SAME!!! Hearing about Yuzuru's withdrawal today, despite me having tickets for Worlds, I only felt relief that he has withdrawn - ofc he needs his ankle to heal, but my main reason for the sense of relief is I understand NC is attending Worlds (confirmed?? not sure) and I could not bear to see Yuzu beaten by him again with underscoring of Yuzu and inflated scoring of Nathan - it's unbearable tbh.  The last time I saw Yuzuru live was Dec 2019 at GPF and I dont want to experience that type of humiliation of Yuzuru again (ridiculous 40 point gap!!!) (although the pooh rain was fabulous, the audience was fabulous at the victory ceremony with Yuzu being the evident champ in most people's eyes with the loudest and most enthusiastic response, and Yuzuru really felt that and noticed it, and also, the most beautiful Swanyu at the gala :softYuzu:)

Tbh, I rather pay to watch his practices in Sendai rink than watch a fake competition with predetermined winners and scores. There I said it. At the same time, I’m not a big fan of ice shows (such as DOI, SOI) too, lots of skaters don’t put much effort and Yuzu’s quality really makes most of others very dull.

My ideal selfish wish is to get weekly or monthly 4 minutes of Yuzu performing to a music of his choice (taken with professional cameras from multiple angles) at Sendai rink (or any rink with few audience) with some extra footages of his preparations. Heaven. I wouldn’t need or watch FS anymore, just give me periodic Hanyu skating.

1 hour ago, Anabel said:

To compensate... One never get tired of seeing this wonder :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

Never. His delayed single Axel is an absolute beauty of a jump. What I love most about it is the open body position and lightness throughout. This particular jump also has an almost absurd deep running edge and crazy knee bend.

Kogan thinks the absence of Russian ladies will drop popularity of WC - somehow I doubt it’s the absence of Eteris girls that will affect the viewing figures.  Actually the ladies competition might be worth a watch now.

Hace 1 hora, Mary_kyo said:

I find a little bit of joy knowing that by this withdrawal, ISU won’t rob him and JSF won’t use him as stepping stone for their faves. He won’t be the ATM machine of ISU for this one competition, especially after so many new fans he has gained after Beijing. I also find little joy thinking at how he managed to unlock China’s market only for himself (I bet it made many officials/skaters jealous). He will have a brilliant future, no matter what he chooses. :coolio:

I have this side which loves to see Yuzu competing for a long time (because his skills are only improving and he has a lot more to offer) but I have another dark side, that doesn’t like to witness him getting screwed by almost everyone (ISU, JSF, judges, officials, media, even team Japan, etc) while they shed crocodile tears, mumbling empty praises of “Yuzu! Legend!”. Honestly, I’m not too eager to watch him compete against skaters such as Nathan or Yuma because there will never be a fair competition with such skaters. So, I’m slowly reaching to the point that as long as I get to watch him skate somewhere, I wouldn’t mind him putting this dead sport behind himself. He has sacrificed a lot, always competed with honesty and integrity but what did FS community do to him in response other than unfair mistreatment? What did his own federation do other than desperately trying to bury his career alive in the past 4 (actually 6) years for the sake of new favorite stars? This will be a very super hard decision for him. because if he still chooses to continue, they will lowball him even more. 

I’ll never understand JSF. Isn’t it better to have, say, 7-8 stars than only 2-3? 
I get it, they want to promote new, younger skaters, but… must it mean they have to dethrone the biggest star they’ll ever have?

Why can’t they protect and support Yuzu, Shoma, Yuma, Kao…at the same time? Is it mutually exclusive?

24 minutes ago, Mor2904 said:

I’ll never understand JSF. Isn’t it better to have, say, 7-8 stars than only 2-3? 
I get it, they want to promote new, younger skaters, but… must it mean they have to dethrone the biggest star they’ll ever have?

Why can’t they protect and support Yuzu, Shoma, Yuma, Kao…at the same time? Is it mutually exclusive?

It’s weird local politics - coming from the ‘right’ rinks and universities etcetc, plus a buggins turn attitude towards who should be no. 1 which has always baffled me .

Guest Mary_kyo
36 minutes ago, Mor2904 said:

Personally, I think the problem is that Yuzu stands out too much with a very strong personality and probably this is against the traditional culture of Japanese. Also how dare their megastar is from Sendai with an “ordinary family” with no background in skating. Meanwhile, Yuma’s dad is basically JSF lol He meets all the criterions of those in power AND is obedient. A good example of nepotism. As long as any organization suffers from kinship favoritisms, they are bound to decline and taking irrational decisions.

37 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

Personally, I think the problem is that Yuzu stands out too much with a very strong personality and probably this is against the traditional culture of Japanese. Also how dare their megastar is from Sendai with an “ordinary family” with no background in skating. Meanwhile, Yuma’s dad is basically JSF lol He meets all the criterions of those in power AND is obedient. A good example of nepotism. As long as any organization suffers from kinship favoritisms, they are bound to decline and taking irrational decisions.

Funny, I was just thinking about this today...

Yuzu definitely stands out and in many ways different from what is traditional in Japanese culture. Someone had brought up the expression (either here or on Twitter) "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down" and I think that is completely accurate of the relationship between Yuzu and the JSF.  Yuzu stands out too much in ways they do not understand nor like. Yuzuru gets the most attention by far, in many respects (and I don't mean to offend) Yuzuru is more like a pop idol  or rock star than an athlete and this doesn't really seem the norm for athletes in Japan (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Yuzuru has worldwide popularity that the JSF doesn't understand is very uncomfortable with. Obviously they are freaking out about the bubble popping when Yuzu is gone, hence why they supported Shoma and now Yuma so much. More than that, Yuzu is very independent and probably doesn't like doing what the JSF wants. I could see that the JSF would be pissed that Yuzu went for a 4A over medaling (which he very well could have done if he played it safe). But the fact that he went for the 4A, didn't medal, and still was the overshadowing star of the Olympics really must have made them mad.

Regardless, this is all speculation. Unless Yuzu releases a tell all book in the future I doubt we'll really know of the extent of Yuzu-JSF relations.

4 hours ago, Anabel said:

To compensate... One never get tired of seeing this wonder :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

Thank you for sharing this vid! I really appreciate it when Yuzu performs his art on ice with NO JUMPS or with only a 3A and a DELAYED SINGLE OPEN AXEL, which to me is a demonstration of his philosophy of figure skating and a refusal to conform to the “standardized figure skating industry.” I feel so proud of him. There are good skaters and there is Yuzu the genius. There are high-score programs and there is passion and art. 🥰 

Regarding Yuzu's withdrawal, it's not surprising and I'm glad he prioritizes recovering from his injury. The most important thing is that he heals completely and can enjoy skating with a fully healthy body and fully healthy ankles again. :smiley-angelic001:

The men's competition at these Worlds will be so predictable and boring. As far as I know, Nate will participate, so we already know who the winner will be. And the medalists will probably be the same as at the Olympics. At least women's will be a real competition and interesting again.

I hope Yuzu will eat lots of yummy food, sleep a lot, play video games and just relax. He can take all the time he wants. He doesn't have anything to prove. His fans will always love him and patiently wait for him. :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

2 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Regarding Yuzu's withdrawal, it's not surprising and I'm glad he prioritizes recovering from his injury. The most important thing is that he heals completely and can enjoy skating with a fully healthy body and fully healthy ankles again. :smiley-angelic001:

The men's competition at these Worlds will be so predictable and boring. As far as I know, Nate will participate, so we already know who the winner will be. And the medalists will probably be the same as at the Olympics. At least women's will be a real competition and interesting again.

I hope Yuzu will eat lots of yummy food, sleep a lot, play video games and just relax. He can take all the time he wants. He doesn't have anything to prove. His fans will always love him and patiently wait for him. :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

The gold medal is pretty much set, but I think Yuma, Shoma, Cha, Ilia, Vincent, maybe even Kao and Daniel? all have a shot at a silver and bronze. Well, more than that, I am just happy to see people skate (of course some more than others...) I could use some distraction :slinkaway:

Spoiler

I know Daisuke isn't particularly popular in this forum, but I'm looking forward to his and Kana's performance anyway, even though I have some mixed feelings about Daisuke nowadays (unrelated to skating). I wish I could change my username...

And I agree, I hope Yuzuru will be able to relax and do what he wants (whatever that may be) <3

Kinda sad knowing Yuzu decided to withdraw to the World Championship, but it is the best decision tho.
The most important thing is he can rest well with a fully healthy body and also with a fully healthy ankles.

I thought Rika will take part to the World Championship, but it seems she also decided to withdraw, and still focusing for the recovery.

Can't wait to see my two beloved skaters to finally on ice again!

Rest well, Yuzu and Rika :YuzuPoohLove: