General Yuzuru Chat

32 minutes ago, Anabel said:

Yomiuri has created a two special pages. One with a review of Yuzu's career https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/yuzuruhanyu/ and another with photos of Yuzu from Wakasugi https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/s/ims/yuzuruhanyuselect/ (not sure about what/who is Wakasugi) 

I haven't seen them all yet, but this one made me laugh :giggle:

5G9h2dJl.jpg

This is an incredible anthology of photos, documenting an incredible athlete. The photos have been put together by team who clearly have a lot of respect and admiration for their muse, Yuzu

Slightly off topic

There was a discussion about the Yuzu exhibition. 

A real tour of the exhibition would be wonderful, but this might not be practicable. I really hope that the exhibition might be undertaken as a virtual reality experience, with merchandise on sale as well. I went to see the  Star Wars identities exhibition of props and costumes when it went on World tour. I viewed it in London at the O2. Amazing to see all the things from the films up close, which only demonstrates that it is possible for exhibitions to go on tour.

London is hosting a VR Van Gogh exhibition this summer. Whilst nothing compares with seeing the genuine article, works of art are difficult to move for obvious reasons and the VR experience makes viewing such pieces more widely accessible and it is still wonderful to see these works using a VR platform, next best thing.

7 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I wish that Yuzu will never have anything to do with Netflix or any other American streaming service.

I don't want to see his career being butchered or romanticized in Hollywood style. He deserves better than that.

Not so unpopular opinion, I think. You are right that the treatment that platforms like Netflix give to their content is superficial and too Hollywood style, but unfortunately they are the ones that have the most diffusion... I would prefer to see a good documentary about Yuzu in some documentary festival but the diffusion would not be the same. In Barcelona they did a very good and very accessible biennial of documentaries but they stopped doing it... I miss that Barcelona :weeping:

8 hours ago, Perelandra said:

Is this true about Yuzu attending a commemoration friendship event ? 

I hope this is not true. I really hope Yuzu doesn't get involved in politics in any way, especially when it comes to such a sensitive, complicated, and historically difficult subject as the relationship between Japan and China.

But I'm not concerned, since the source is questionable, as somebody has already mentioned. And I believe that Yuzu is someone who is very sophisticated and educated about what's going on in the world. He is also conscious and discerning about what he wants to focus on and should and should not get involved in. :grin:

On 7/19/2022 at 12:49 PM, Sombreuil said:

Thank you wonder boy.  It’s been an incredible eight years for me.  
From the CoC crash which first drew my attention, through discovering the back catalogue so to speak of Sochi, R&J1, the wealth of old footage of competitions going back to the junior ones and the documentaries, and the regret that I hadn’t noticed him earlier.  I adored both the programmes of my first season as a fan, his Phantom was the best ever.

Then the roller coaster of the seasons- the ups (Barcelona x2) the downs (Shanghai,Boston),  the droughts, the searching for Japanese links for ice shows, the media days, the costume reveals, the search for someone live-streaming practices.  Becoming active on the internet.  Fretting about the ankle.  Staying up to watch competitions in the middle of the night, sometimes abroad, on one memorable occasion under the covers on a family trip to the west of Ireland with a terrible Wi-Fi link.   Sitting in a sports bar in Malta trying to get a link to work for ACI, surrounded by  football fans watching the Italian, Spanish and English league games on really loud screens all round the room.  The annoyance of social obligations that clashed with his competitions.

The stunning performances.  The back to back triumph of 2016 NHK and GPF.  The 2017 Worlds FP comeback that I watched on my phone in the ladies loos (not for the first or last time).   Pretty much every minute of screen time of PC from the arrival at the airport, through that first practice, the utter perfection of the SP, the triumph of the ankle holding out through the free, the fun jokey atmosphere of gala practices and the sublime Notte Stellata at the gala.  The whole of PC was a perfectly judged performance.  The 4A quest, and the heart stopping moment at the GPF practice when I realised he was going to go for it in public for the first time. 

Its been amazing.  I can’t wait to see what he does next.  :peekapooh:

Although it's been only 4 years in my case, becoming Yuzu's fan has driven me into strange situations and adventures, too. Fear of missing our flight home made me and my family leave the gala of Helsinki GP before Yuzu's performance - and regretting it so bad made us miss our flight home after the gala of GPF Turin. I had to invent an excuse for school for my daughter because GPF 2019 was not during school holidays. Before knowing Yuzu such a thing would have been unacceptable for me. Like staying up all night for watching a live stream and trying to work the next day. However, I don't regret a single minute and I'm grateful for these last 4 years. And now I'm extremely curious what will come next. :smiley-happy105:

22 hours ago, Perelandra said:

This particular performance of Etude is especially poignant given that this must be Yuzu's first competition of the season, following the Great Eastern Earthquake. Yuzu spent the summer performing in ice shows in order to raise money for the disaster. The programme is also known as 'Sorrow' or 'Sadness'. The swell of the music represents the waves of the devastating Tsunami and Yuzu's costume evokes the image of Hokusai's painting 'the Great Wave of Kanagawa'. The natural light streams in from a huge window at one end of the rink, which also contributes to the overall atmosphere of the performance. It was at this competition that Brian and Javi really started to pay attention to this young skater from Japan, Brian mentions this in an interview about Yuzu.

This was Yuzu's short programme for the 2011/12 season, which culminated with Yuzu's bronze medal at WC Nice, March 2012.

To this day, this remains as one of my personal favourite performances, for the reasons above.

Yuzu performed in approximately 60 ice shows during the summer not only to raise money for the disaster, but to practice Etude and RJ1 for the upcoming competitive season because Ice Rink Sendai was damaged.

The Nebelhorn Trophy was presented to 16-year-old Yuzu by Stephane Lambiel. Michal Brezina was second, Stephen Carriere third and Javi fourth.

Yuzu had already met Stephane Lambiel during the ice shows in the summer at which time he asked Stephane for his advice on how to jump the quad toe loop.

I mentioned this before, but we were in Germany at the same time as Yuzu in September 2011, albeit quite a distance away in the Rhineland. I had not heard of Yuzuru Hanyu at that time. I would not fall down the rabbit hole until the 2014 Sochi Winter Games, but the fact that Yuzu and I were in the same country at the same time from opposite ends of the world may have been a foreshadowing of my subsequent connection with him. (Or it could have just been plain dumb luck.)

29 minutes ago, Xiupia said:

Has this been shared? 

Tenchi tanabatas on display!

Tenchis from 20-21 and 21-22 now together!

zuihoden’s official ig for anyone wanting to pay a visit:

this is very lovely :loveshower: I wish I could see it in person

On 7/19/2022 at 4:09 PM, wildstrawberry said:

of course...

this is how i'm choosing to look at today's events:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Yuzu had a cold at GPF 2015? The expression on his face after the final pose used to look like a smirk to me but instead it might have had something to do with breathing properly ... 🤔

On 7/19/2022 at 6:51 PM, Sammie-s said:

Just to add my 2cent. I'm a new fanyu. And ever since I discovered Yuzu, I have been diligently watching his every program. I use Yuzu's wikipedia page as reference. Thanks Henni and the team for building such a page. I watch all the programs from novice till now. All the documentaries, ice shows etc. In such a short time, I am very proud to be able to recognize the clips in twitter from which program, which competition and which docu without any problem. 

I even googled why fanyus hated ISU & JSF. :mischief: This is the funniest part. I understand fully when I am on twitter and in the forum longer. Watching how Jmedia treated him etc made me really angry. 

I was readied to fly to wherever he's competiting next season despite the ridiculous tix pricing and currency. But Yuzu has another plan for us not to waste anymore of our precious money on ISU. Tks Yuzu. :softYuzu:

I am proud to say I have signed up to be a life long fanyu. 

As I was busy recently and gazillions of messages  appeared on the Planet on a very specific day, I’m still in the process of catching up. So it may be a little late but I want to express that this new fanyu outing warmed my heart. Another person has come to reward the hard work that other fanyus have put into establishing well organised libraries and structured sources of information and has come to feel comfortable in our community. 😊