4 hours ago, meoima said:

This talk about ballet and alignment are amazing. Thank you very much @Fresca and @koneko .

The first person who told me that Nathan's landings were weird and not very good was Adelia my friend. She also did ballet and gymnasts since young. I did not ask what style she studied, but in short, she was very disapproved of his landings, Of course, she's not a skater so maybe we can not tell for sure the impact of the jump landings.

But do we see some similarity in good jumpers' landings? I think many good skaters have similar landings.

Sorry if this is off topic. Is there any chance that we can have a separate thread in the COP-ernicus to geek out over techniques, body alignment and flexibility etc? 

As for landings, I could buy that good jumpers and clean techniques have similar landings across the board, ladies and gents alike. Free leg angle relative to skating leg would be fairly similar, and I would wager that knee bend would be similar (my guess is around 120 degrees, soft but not too deep). Arm position is another thing-I was always told to never hold my arms too wide apart when I land, otherwise it can end up being windmill arms and lead my back to fall into the outside edge. 

To stay back on topic,  I tried to watch Nathan's jumps in 0.25 x speed, with a pencil to see where his body is in the air before he lands. He is no less straighter than Hanyu, so I'm curious if there's something to do with his unwrapping leg. The part of Nathan's jump landings that strike me as weird, is either he's not straightening his back enough, or he really does land too far forward on his toepicks (which would lead to the lack of flow in his exits), which his knee bends do not help. 

On 25/05/2017 at 00:46, ShiroKJ said:

C/B's Tango :smiley-ashamed005: (aka chairography EX) 

Ah! An FS tango that has some tango! Perhaps I should watch more ballroom inspired ice dance! The chairography where Evan leans in close to drag the chair around adds tango flavor because tango has leg wraps and lifts where the lady leans on or sits on the man and the lady's legs and torso make similar angles as Madison on the chair. I still see some paso and some jazz but was pleasantly surprised by the amount of tango. I love the embrace at 1:22 and the leg play at 1:25 and the lifts were tango-eque. :smiley-love017:

13 hours ago, Xen said:

Sorry if this is off topic. Is there any chance that we can have a separate thread in the COP-ernicus to geek out over techniques, body alignment and flexibility etc?

To stay back on topic,  I tried to watch Nathan's jumps in 0.25 x speed, with a pencil to see where his body is in the air before he lands. He is no less straighter than Hanyu, so I'm curious if there's something to do with his unwrapping leg. The part of Nathan's jump landings that strike me as weird, is either he's not straightening his back enough, or he really does land too far forward on his toepicks (which would lead to the lack of flow in his exits), which his knee bends do not help. 

Yes, maybe it's better to make a separate thread...I've littered enough threads with this type of geeky talk...:facepalm:

On Nathan, I also don't see anything wrong with his air position. It's really just his landings and I think it is because he does land too far forward. The not straightening his back enough could be related to his forward leaning landings. Because his upper body is too tilted forward, all his core strength goes to preventing him from not falling forward. He doesn't have the core strength left to lift his back so he relies on the momentum from opening his hip and unwrapping his leg to wrench himself back up to balance.

3 hours ago, Fresca said:

Yes, maybe it's better to make a separate thread...I've littered enough threads with this type of geeky talk...:facepalm:

No no, we love the geeky talk...it's more of a centralized geek-out thread. And you and Koneko and Meioma are awesome. =)

And again, sorry for interrupting the discussion! We've done a bit of house cleaning so you now have two new threads!

And

For both talk about ballet, landings, jump mechanics, flexibility even, whatever. 
Thank you guys!