Tips for not dying in winter

SparkleSalad

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

So, what do you carry around to drink in -14 degrees and how stupid is this question?

Uhhmmm... Usually you rarely get thirsty when it's -14, all you care about is reaching a warm place as soon as possible :laughing: Then you drink :laughing:

I usually have water and a thermos with hot tea if it's freezing :drinkcoffee: 

1 minute ago, Smultron said:

Uhhmmm... Usually you rarely get thirsty when it's -14, all you care about is reaching a warm place as soon as possible :laughing: Then you drink :laughing:

I wonder if people think that -30 is still above survival border! :biggrin: 

you don't want to be very long outside though...

I can't remember getting thirsty after two hours of skating outside - it just doesn't happen, does it? 

1 minute ago, Smultron said:

My tired brain didn't even remember tea exists. (I need sleep but waiting for signs of lottery winnings.) I wonder if hot sports drinks are not revolting. :crazyshit2: 

I live in SE Europe so we have -14degC in dec/january period ... hard wind and lot of snow ... not funny, tbh... lol... I have a thick canadian jacket with goose feather and thick boots with fur, one finger gloves and a good double hat! And I usually don't think abt drinking when the weather gets like this ... haha, just to get to a warm place or at home as fast as I can!

I don't know what 0 let alone -14 feels like - I don't own a jacket thicker than a shirt. I may aswell be wondering what it's like to visit the moon, really.

I was asking because usually I have to drink loads and loads and loads for low BP reasons but I guess cold would help with that anyway. I wonder why I'm assuming I'll become standed and die an icy death. :laughing:

12 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I don't know what 0 let alone -14 feels like - I don't own a jacket thicker than a shirt. I may aswell be wondering what it's like to visit the moon, really.

I was asking because usually I have to drink loads and loads and loads for low BP reasons but I guess cold would help with that anyway. I wonder why I'm assuming I'll become standed and die an icy death. :laughing:

Welcome to visit my parents' place in winter - we can have -40 in winter! Lol

6 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Wait, does drinking loads help? Asking because I have low bp all the time and it's not funny at all :13877886: 

Actually you sort of feel an energy boost when it's freezing :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: It does wonders for energy levels... But then you get home and you are super sleepy all of a sudden :laughing:

6 minutes ago, Smultron said:

Wait, does drinking loads help? Asking because I have low bp all the time and it's not funny at all :13877886: 

Actually you sort of feel an energy boost when it's freezing :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg: It does wonders for energy levels... But then you get home and you are super sleepy all of a sudden :laughing:

Yup, it increases your blood volume which increases BP but in order to retain it you have to eat a lot of salt, too. My day is just drinking sports drinks and drenching food in soy sauce and salt. I also take medicine to constrict my blood vessels. I have a pretty extreme case, though, so I don'tbknow how much of this to recommend.

I can't handle heat or hot drinks/hot soupy food without energy going splat. The energy you get from the cold would be your BP rising.

ETA Also, wearing compression clothing or just tight undergarments helps, too.

thermos with tea helps for drinking. As for clothes I will follow ralucutzagy. Good thick wintercoat/jacket and warm winter boots are essential. gloves, scarf/muffler, sth for your ontop of your head and layering (so you can work with temperature differences indoors, outdoors and in transportation).