Team Spain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Melodie said:

That he is. And great charisma too. But I hope he will get a good jump coach for the kids. His Flip and Lutz are ....

Hopefully, there will be a Yuzu - Pooh san academy in near future😜

• 7 months later...
Guest turquoiseblue

An interesting interview where Sara talks about the Johnson vaccine she got, her injury and short haircut, new programmes, her life and training environment in Moscow, her future career in journalism, and so on. 

Sara Hurtado: "Before leaving for Russia, I was told that all Russians are cold and with a hot Spanish temperament I will feel lonely. But everything turned out the other way around

Tell us about your new programs.

Sara Hurtado: This season we have prepared something unusual for us. For the short dance, we chose hip-hop and modern dance, a mix of different songs. I love doing this dance! On the other hand, we set the bar high with this kind of music: you have to be active from the first notes, and you have to have enough energy to the end. This is an experiment: we explored the options for creative artistic moments for a long time. We worked with the Altai choreographer Aykhan Shinzhin, who put a lot of energy into every movement. 

Our free dance is to the song "Since I’ve Been Loving You" by the British rock band Led Zeppelin. We took notice of this music a few years ago, preparing for another season. Back then for some reason we did not take it. And when in the spring we were thinking about a new program, we recalled this song, listened to it again and let it pass through our souls. We thought: "Why look for something else if the heart gives a hint?" We started to choreograph and everything worked out well.

:grin:

Before leaving for Russia, I was told that a coach here is a person whom you must obey unquestioningly. That all Russians are cold and closed, and with a hot Spanish temperament I will feel lonely. But everything turned out the other way around: the team gave me a warm welcome and we quickly became friends. Guys often greet in Spanish and ask: "Сómo estás?" I feel good and know that I am an important part of a friendly team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest turquoiseblue

Spanish nationals key stop in showdown for Olympic ice dance spot between Hurtado/Khaliavin and Smart/Diaz

This weekend (16-19 December), Spanish nationals is the second of three stops for the two teams to try and earn their way to the Olympics. They previously went head-to-head at Finlandia Trophy in October, while the final decision will be made at the European Championships, next month in Tallinn, Estonia.

The qualification process is simple: Whichever team has the highest total combined score from the three events goes to Beijing.

Smart/Diaz have the slimmest of leads after Finlandia: 185.82 to 185.57.

"It is a little scary because there's one spot, you have one chance, but that's what our sport is," said Smart. "That's what every sport is in a way like: You have one chance to show your programs and compete. Anything can happen."

Guest turquoiseblue

A new article on Sara Hurtado:

Sara Hurtado, sobre su futuro en el patinaje sobre hielo: "Kirill y yo cada día seguimos creciendo y nuestro techo todavía no lo hemos alcanzado"

DeepL translation

On Radioestadio tonight we talk to ice skater Sara Hurtado, who tells us about the situation in Russia. "It's even more dangerous because people are not as aware. There comes a point where you can feel the atmosphere, laziness. They don't keep their distance, they don't put their masks on properly and not much. Things are bad", she comments.

She also explains what her training sessions are like. "In Moscow we don't train with a mask because it's a private track and, for the moment, only those of us who are vaccinated can go in. They are a bit careful because that's where the Russian world champions train", she says.

Sara Hurtado is aiming for a place at the Olympic Games in February. "I'm going all out," she says.

In case she is not able to get that place, the skater reveals what her future will be like. "We are so dedicated to this goal that I am not able to see beyond it. In the future, I would like to return to Spain when I retire", she says. However, she says that there are no concrete dates. "Kirill and I keep growing every day and we haven't reached our ceiling yet. This is something that motivates me a lot to keep going, but committing to another Olympic cycle is complicated.

"I see it as a unique and unrepeatable opportunity. It's a sacrifice, but it's worth it", says the athlete.

• 3 weeks later...