Other Sports

sallycinnamon

...I watch many sports on tv, but Helsinki was my first ever big live sports event:smile:

But tennis...oh it makes me remember a summer in my teens when I was on holiday in England, in Wimbledon, and could see Björn Borg training:smile:

What a summer!

I fear, my remembrances make clear how old I am:rofl:.

But what I really wanted to share was my fascination with John McEnroe.

To me, he played tennis like an art. So smooth!  Seemingly withouth effort! The tennis balls glided! I stayed glued to the tv screen.

I could never understand how so elegant a player, an artist, could shout at judges and throw a temper:smile:.

And later came Boris Becker and I was horrified. Boom boom indeed. I hope, I am not offending anyone! But I found him lacking in elegance! :smile:

I am german myself, but give me McEnroe over Becker anytime. 

He was as smooth in landing  points as Yuzuru is in landing jumps, to me. Soft. Elegant. 

:smile:

Still watch Wimbledon every year, as I can watch live uk tv, but sadly not french or us.

Sorry for rambling!!

Greetings, 

raebia

@ralucutzagy Well she has a good chance to win the tournament now! I'd bet on her victory in the final. When was the last time a Romanian player won a Grand Slam?

@raebia McEnroe and Becker..oh they were characters on the court! I still have memories of Becker playing in his last years of his career. Both were genius players, in a different way. They were the Federer and Nadal of their times - one of them played beautiful and elegant while the other in an aggressive way.

Do you have a favourite to win Wimbledon this year?

Back to Roland Garros: We are going to have a historic day on Sunday if Nadal wins his 10th RG trophy. I don't think Wawrinka has too much chance against him, honestly.

@sallycinnamon

Well, the last romanian tennis player who managed to win a Grand Slam was Virginia Ruzici, who is actually Simona Halep's manager. She won Roland Garros in 1978 and played another final in 1980. But she never got to be first in the world. Simona will be number 1 from monday if she wins tomorow. :8227023:

Go, go, go Simona!!!! :clap: All my positive ennergies and feelings goes with you!!!

6 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

@sallycinnamon

Well, the last romanian tennis player who managed to win a Grand Slam was Virginia Ruzici, who is actually Simona Halep's manager. She won Roland Garros in 1978 and played another final in 1980. But she never got to be first in the world. Simona will be number 1 from monday if she wins tomorow. :8227023:

Go, go, go Simona!!!! :clap: All my positive ennergies and feelings goes with you!!!

That was a long time ago!  I'm sure Simona will have an extra motivation to win then. It'll be a huge accomplishment if she both wins it and goes to World No.1. Good luck! I'll watch the match.

I have just seen an interview with my all-time favourite tennis player, Gustavo Guga Kuerten. Oh the nostalgia! I loved him so much back in the day :8232307: He's as cheerful and fun as ever! :67638894:

Just now, sallycinnamon said:

That was a long time ago!  I'm sure Simona will have an extra motivation to win then. It'll be a huge accomplishment if she both wins it and goes to World No.1. Good luck! I'll watch the match.

I have just seen an interview with my all-time favourite tennis player, Gustavo Guga Kuerten. Oh the nostalgia! I loved him so much back in the day :8232307: He's as cheerful and fun as ever! :67638894:

Yes, I've seen it too. He looks great, like the time hasn't passed for him at all. :8227023:

10 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Yes, he looks the same. :smiley-love017: Except for one or two wrinkles, but they look good on him. I hope to see him on the weekend again, maybe during the ceremony after the men's final:)

Oh, he will be there for sure, together with the other tennis legends. I've seen a picture with him and Matts Wilander, Boris Becker and John McEnroe, They all looked so cheerful!!

36 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Back to Roland Garros: We are going to have a historic day on Sunday if Nadal wins his 10th RG trophy. I don't think Wawrinka has too much chance against him, honestly.

I remember Wawrinka at the beginning of his career,and I honestly can't believe he's a top 10 player and he's playing grand-slam finals nowadays (and he apparently even won RG a couple of years ago).I decided I'm gonna watch the RG men's final to support Rafa,history could be made on Sunday and it might be the perfect moment to return to this sport.If Rafa loses a set I'm out then.:smiley-scared005:

12 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

He has completely slipped my mind since I stopped watching tennis,but I remember him too.I wasn't fond of him at first,but then later I came to really love him,he was a great player on clay and he seem to be a really sweet guy.Sigh,it's like I'm remembering things that happened in another life,it feels a little weird tbh.:smile:

@wildstrawberry Yes, Wawrinka is a player who reached the top level later than tennis players usually do.

It's good to hear that you'll watch the final and support Rafa again :grouphug:But don't give up if Rafa looses a set, that means nothing! 

Guga's victories were so long ago, it really feels a bit strange to think about it. When they showed the old footages from the late 1990s and early 2000s today, I realised tennis on clay was so different back then.

Even though I remember those times vividly, it's been already 16 years since his last victory. But he retired at a relatively young age, at least compared to many active players of today's generation who are in their 30s.

10 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

@ralucutzagy Well she has a good chance to win the tournament now! I'd bet on her victory in the final. When was the last time a Romanian player won a Grand Slam?

@raebia McEnroe and Becker..oh they were characters on the court! I still have memories of Becker playing in his last years of his career. Both were genius players, in a different way. They were the Federer and Nadal of their times - one of them played beautiful and elegant while the other in an aggressive way.

Do you have a favourite to win Wimbledon this year?

...not a real favourite, but I would love to see a Nadal/Federer final:smile:.

I managed to catch a stream of the Australian Open and it was great!

1 hour ago, raebia said:

...not a real favourite, but I would love to see a Nadal/Federer final:smile:.

I managed to catch a stream of the Australian Open and it was great!

Maybe we'll see one in Wimbledon! Fed announced that he returns on tour from next week and he will start with 3 grass tournaments!