Celebrating the 5th Anniversary of Planet Hanyu!

• When did you become a fan of Yuzu?

Around October 2021, I think. I was reading a book with figure skating and I thought I'd watch some videos, just so I'd be able to visualise it better. Well, lo and behold, the first video that popped up was Sochi14 PW! I loved it so much, it was so different to what I was expecting and Yuzu is so captivating with the way he perfectly embodies the music and character, the ease of his skating, how it felt like he was performing for me and just everything about him was incredible. I fell down the research rabbit-hole then, and with each new skate and each new interview, I felt more and more proud to become his fan. Not just the beauty of his skating, but the beauty of his manners, his kindness and smiles, his determination and drive. I was really struggling with myself back then, with my place in the world and who I was and most days, I'd always have it in the back of my mind that it wasn't worth it. He gave me reasons to keep rising. He showed me, with each new skate and each new smile, all the beauty I would miss. He showed me all the beauty that was already here, if I could just open my eyes and see it. 

•  When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? 

I signed up very recently, though I found out about PH pretty early on down my research rabbit-hole while I was searching for information. The Great Glittering Glossary was actually, I think, the first thing I read as a new fan! I 've been lurking in the forum for a while for all the news and love for Yuzu here and I decided to sign up nearing Beijing, since none of my IRL friends like Yuzu/skating (my mom likes him but she's not as invested :laughing:

• Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

Not yet! I've only signed up recently, however, and I'm not quite that active so I hope I'll be able to in the future :)

• Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu?

Also not yet! I'm looking forward to participating in the future

• Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

I'd love to meet other satellites some day, but I've still never been to a competition yet. I'm hoping to go to  4CC next year though, so it'd be great to get to meet some of you!

• What do you like the most about this forum?

I really love how quickly news comes onto this forum, so I can stay updated on everything - it was a lifesaver during Beijing! I also love the videos archive, so that I can keep learning more about Yuzu (and of course, falling more in love with him.) But the best thing about this forum for me, is all the love and support we have for Yuzu and for each other. It's such a warm, welcoming place to be in and it's such a relief for me to have somewhere to rant or gush without getting weird looks like I do from some of my IRLs. Even though we don't know each other, even though  we come from anywhere and everywhere across the world, I think it's so poetic that we all have something connecting us - Yuzu.

• Would you like to participate in the giveaway?

Thank you so much for organizing this! I would love to enter :) It would be my first ever piece of Yuzu merch which I feel like is an awesome milestone to finally pass and I'd love something to remind me of him at home (even though I can never get him out of my head)

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? i became a fan of yuzu after watching his program in pyeongchang, but at that time i don't know how to reach him and get more info of him. So i just watch his other program and i heard news again from him is when beijing 2022 apear. I'm so excited but i don't know when the event happen because i don't have any fanyu account at that time. So i watch him again after 1 month beijing happen. And after that i try to follow many fanyu account as many as i could.
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? i followed some of fanyu account in twitter and one of your tweet past my tl. Its about a threed the terms in figure skating and terms around fanyu because i want to know more about him so i signed up in Planet Hanyu to know more.
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? no, i haven't. because i'm from indonesia where figure skating not popular in here so i have a hard time to make any friends irl. But i hope i find irl friends from indonesian in here..
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? no yet but i hope someday i can..
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? no, i didn't. i'm still a student and don't have enough money so i can't go to another country to watch his competitions. i want to came to japan to watch Faoi but because of pandemic and my parents i can't go there. i hope someday i can watch him in live and meet another fanyu :)
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? the threedss!! it's very helpfull to me as a baby fanyu to know more about him and of course the VIDEOSSS!! i like watching a video about him and its hard to find some videos in youtube so i'm really glad know this sitee ;)
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? yes, i really like to!! i've been seeing so many yuzu magazine and other item and i want that one for mee maybe its like once in a lifetime to have yuzu's stuff!!<3

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu?

Jan 9th 2021. I watched a tiktok about his pre-skate routine and I wanted to know more about him and became a fanyu💗

2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

I joined PH around April last year. I couldn't find some of yuzu's ice shows footages. so I joined PH and found a whole lot of it. I also was able to watch all the past competitions and interviews of him. we fanyus are really blessed to have PH T__T

3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

No, I didn't :(

4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu?

No, I haven't but I hope to in the future🥺🙏

5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

No. 

6. What do you like the most about this forum?

It's the videos archive a life saver tbh

7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway?

Yes of course thank you so much for this💗

When did you become a fan of Yuzu?

I first became a fan of Yuzu when I saw a reel on Instagram of his CoC 2014 crash, and out of curiosity and wanting to know the full story of who he was, I searched up his name on YouTube, and from there, rabbit-holed my way into watching his Olympics wins, his World Championships performances, and ice shows. Haru yo, Koi stole my heart first when I saw it on the FaOI show and jellyfish Yuzu has my heart. (watching the Beijing exhibition performance has me in tears constantly)

When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

I signed up for Planet Hanyu on February 23rd following the (traumatizing) Olympics. After crying for a couple of days straight as I watched both the Short Program and Free Program live, and seeing Yuzuru sad and tearful, I was desperate for happy Yuzu content. Because I had already gone through every video I was able to find on YouTube, Planet Hanyu gave me a collection of Yuzu content that brought me happiness and reminded me of his strength and dedication to figure skating. I always make sure to watch Yuzu's Skating Party before the next one comes up. 

Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

I have not unfortunately. I rarely put myself out there (other than joining the adoration of Yuzuru during the Olympics), and this might actually be one of the first times I have invested myself into commenting. But I like to watch the interactions between the big accounts on Twitter and how they all seem like friends. 

Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu?

I have watched Yuzu's Skating Party from the time it began when there was the broadcast of his novice years. I love the new content (i am a baby fanyu) and watching the comments of other Fanyus come in. Other than that, I am fairly new on Planet Hanyu but really utilize the skating party as my motivation to get through the week. 

Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

I wish I was able to go to a competition. T-T But my parents would never let me travel far (I live in Arkansas in the US where no one ever comes) and it does cost a substantial amount of money that I do not have haha. But, it is my dream to see Yuzu skate in real life, whether it would be an ice show or competition, and throw a pooh bear onto the ice for him. I would love to meet others who have the same love and adoration for him at competitions, too. 

What do you like the most about this forum?

I greatly appreciate the collection of archived videos of Yuzuru. Before I discovered Planet Hanyu through twitter, I would constantly rewatch interviews and segments of documentaries on YouTube because the platform has a tendency to delete the best videos and interviews of Yuzu. Now, Planet Hanyu has given me an immense pool of Yuzu content that I have never discovered before. One of my all time favorite pages on this forum is the Glossary with embedded links that I always find myself discovering new things (such as Requiem of Heaven and Earth on 24hTV that makes me sob like a child everytime I watch it). 

Would you like to participate in the giveaway?

Yes, please! Thank you so much for the opportunity!

I first became a fan of Yuzu when I saw a reel on Instagram of his CoC 2014 crash, and out of curiosity and wanting to know the full story of who he was, I searched up his name on YouTube, and from there, rabbit-holed my way into watching his Olympics wins, his World Championships performances, and ice shows. Haru yo, Koi stole my heart first when I saw it on the FaOI show and jellyfish Yuzu has my heart. (watching the Beijing exhibition performance has me in tears constantly)

I signed up for Planet Hanyu on February 23rd following the (traumatizing) Olympics. After crying for a couple of days straight as I watched both the Short Program and Free Program live, and seeing Yuzuru sad and tearful, I was desperate for happy Yuzu content. Because I had already gone through every video I was able to find on YouTube, Planet Hanyu gave me a collection of Yuzu content that brought me happiness and reminded me of his strength and dedication to figure skating. I always make sure to watch Yuzu's Skating Party before the next one comes up. 

I have not unfortunately. I rarely put myself out there (other than joining the adoration of Yuzuru during the Olympics), and this might actually be one of the first times I have invested myself into commenting. But I like to watch the interactions between the big accounts on Twitter and how they all seem like friends. 

I have watched Yuzu's Skating Party from the time it began when there was the broadcast of his novice years. I love the new content (i am a baby fanyu) and watching the comments of other Fanyus come in. Other than that, I am fairly new on Planet Hanyu but really utilize the skating party as my motivation to get through the week. 

I wish I was able to go to a competition. T-T But my parents would never let me travel far (I live in Arkansas in the US where no one ever comes) and it does cost a substantial amount of money that I do not have haha. But, it is my dream to see Yuzu skate in real life, whether it would be an ice show or competition, and throw a pooh bear onto the ice for him. I would love to meet others who have the same love and adoration for him at competitions, too. 

I greatly appreciate the collection of archived videos of Yuzuru. Before I discovered Planet Hanyu through twitter, I would constantly rewatch interviews and segments of documentaries on YouTube because the platform has a tendency to delete the best videos and interviews of Yuzu. Now, Planet Hanyu has given me an immense pool of Yuzu content that I have never discovered before. One of my all time favorite pages on this forum is the Glossary with embedded links that I always find myself discovering new things (such as Requiem of Heaven and Earth on 24hTV that makes me sob like a child everytime I watch it). 

Yes, please! Thank you so much for the opportunity!

My first giveaway participation yay

• When did you become a fan of Yuzu?

I came to watch the Sochi Olympics as a Team Canada and Yuna Kim shooter, having spent the previous months catching up on the sport and enamoured with a lot of the programs from Vancouver (except Men's lol). Pure heartbreak that whole event, but I did came out of it with a huge impression of Yuzu. I knew about Japanese skaters, but he had some serious gravitas that stuck with me. I checked on him on and off later on, not watching many comps live but keeping an eye on highlights and people's favorite programs. The build up for Pyeongchang was so intense, Chopin Ballade made him my favorite skater ever. I was so proud. 

• When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

I used to check news about the sport through Tumblr and another forum, but a little irritated about how I couldn't watch more fluff (interviews and etc) about the Japanese skaters. Read somewhere abt the birth of PH and bookmarked the place so I could always check the translated videos. Only made a proper acc post-Beijing because I needed a Yuzu safe space to share my feelings abt this whole quad lol

• Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

Not yet! I haven't been here long. I do have "online friends" who watch fs, but that was through twitter. 

• Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu?

No, but I would love to participate.

• Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

No ice rinks competitions in my country so no :( Next year I think I can manage it, looking forward to. 

• What do you like the most about this forum?

So very organised! Clean layout, easy navigation. I also really like the community here. 

• Would you like to participate in the giveaway?

Yes, I would! Counting on my luck for the raffle lol 

When did you become a fan of Yuzu? around september/october 2017! i had a passing interest for a while but never really got into it properly until i stumbled across some of yuzu's programs on youtube : ) 2017 rostelecom (or at least the mens free skate lol) was my very first competition and the rest is history!

When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? don't remember specifically when but i know i heard about the archive of videos (still an absolute goldmine when im bored) and came to check it out! 

Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? not yet no! i'm a lurker lol

Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? also no :(

Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? haven't gotten the chance to go to a competition! i hope i can someday though : )

What do you like the most about this forum? i already mentioned the treasure trove of videos, but also just generally how everyone here is so helpful+knowledgable! i like to scroll through random discussion threads, seeing people's opinions+coming across random yuzu trivia is always fun : )

Would you like to participate in the giveaway? yes please! already gave in and bought the tote+some clear files from the exhibition but there's so much gorgeous merch lately TT thank you so much for the chance!

Happy Anniversary!!!  :cheer: :balloons-smiley:

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? Right before PyeongChang. I read a New York Times article about Yuzu, and then started watching his old programs and of course the Olympic Games shortly after. I didn't even realize I had become a fan of Yuzu. I just keep watching his programs and wanting to know more about this incredible person to this day.

2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? I signed up for Planet Hanyu on March 10, 2018 when I discovered the website. Why? It instantly felt like home. It still does.

3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? Yes. I was very excited to meet other satellites in person at competitions. Some of us roomed and/or dined together and the friendship remains.

4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? Yes, if the following are considered "group projects on Planet Hanyu." 1. I wrote a message to Yuzu a couple of times as part of the collections satellites here organized to send to Yuzu. 2. I made a banner with the national flag of my country for ACI 2019 (if I remember correctly) to show we love Yuzu from all over the world.

5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? I met satellites in small groups at all competitions I attended so far - ACI 2018 and 2019, GP Helsink 2018, GPF 2018 (even though Yuzu withdrew), and SCI 2019.

6. What do you like the most about this forum? There are so many kind and talented people here I just feel a sort of warm glow when I'm here. I also like how people use their expertise and knowledge, which have helped me learn a lot. It's a great community. When I go to competitions, meeting friends I made through the forum is always exciting. Having this home base also makes drought seasons easier to endure, not to mention the streaming parties, which are great fun to be a part of.

7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? Yes, please. Thank you very much for doing this!!  :tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw:

I became a fan of him after watching his worlds 2017 FS. He just brings this special energy to the ice and I hope to see him in person some day! 
2. When and why did you sign up for
Planet Hanyu?

I believe I signed up just a couple weeks ago. I signed up to have an opportunity to connect with fellow fans of Yuzu. 
3. Did you make any irl friends through
Planet Hanyu?

no
4. Have you participated in any group
projects on Planet Hanyu?

not yet
5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? 

no
6. What do you like the most about this
forum?

I like that everyone is mostly super positive! I enjoy being part of the Fanyu community and I love to hear updates about Yuzuru. 
7. Would you like to participate in the
giveaway?

Yes! I would be thrilled to win a Yuzuru Prize. Thank You for hosting this giveaway and happy 5 years!

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? I became a fan of Yuzuru back in Sochi 2014.
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? I signed up earlier because I have been looking at content that helps me feel better whenever it's off-season.
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? Not yet but hopefully!
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? Not yet as the time doesn't really match with my body clock but I would like to in my school break.
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? I haven't attended any competition yet, I'm still saving money for that.
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? What I like most about this forum is how people discuss things and help each other out whenever someone asks something.
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? I would love to!
    2018 during PC, but in Beijing I became a hardcore fan!!
    A few days ago! To experience a different Fanyu environment
    No(t yet!) :(
    Not yet! I would love to find out more and maybe participate in the near future!
    Never had the opportunity to attend the competitions unfortunately. I'm hopeful that it will happen one day
    It's not actually part of the forum, but I really love the video collection. It's well organized and thorough. Also the wiki helped me understand some common terms fast and easy.
    Yes!

- I became a fan of Yuzu way back 2017-2018 one night when I watched his PW sochi on youtube. I was at a low place back then, and I was comforted by the program. It wasn’t years later until I fully became a fanyu. It was last August 2020 when I was at a much lower place again in my life that I found the exact same program and it saved me from doing something I would regret in my life. 
    -  I don’t remember exactly when but it was last year during my 1st official season following Yuzu. 
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? - Unfortunately, no. 
    - Unfortunately, no as well. 
    - I haven’t gone to a competition just yet, but in the future I hope I meet a lot of people there. 
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? -I can be shy most of the time and rarely enter discussions, but I like seeing people converse and show their support for Yuzu. How everyone is enjoying what the forrum has to offer!
  8. - I would love to join!

Happy Birthday to Planet Hanyu! :cheer:

1. I discovered Yuzu in late 2017, probably through Youtube recommendations, and became a fan right away.

2. I kept lurking here until Yuzu appeared in the Google search 2019, If I remember correctly.

3. I haven’t made friends with anyone, unfortunately.

4. I haven’t taken part in any projects (until this one)

5. or attended any meetups, either.

6. I feel I belong to a big family. I visit this website several times a day when Yuzu comes out of his cave. I   like it because I can get all the updates about the Axel Lord & share my support with all satellites.

7. Of course I would like to participate in the giveaway.

• A friend first told me about him in mid-2016! I binge watched as many of his programs as I could find and immediately fell in love. It was right after the 2015/16 season had ended, so my first full season with him was 2016/17. I have vague memories of watching figure skating with my mom as a kid, but no one had ever drawn me in like Yuzu. 

• I only joined very recently, right after Beijing. I hadn’t been keeping up too well with figure skating the past couple of seasons due to being preoccupied with the pandemic, but the 2022 Olympics drew me right back in because there was no way I was going to miss Yuzu at such an important event. After watching his programs live, I was searching for videos to rewatch them since the official Olympics channel had them geoblocked for a while (sigh) and found PlanetHanyu! I may have actually used it in the past without realizing because as I was going through the “Yuzuru’s Journey” section I had already seen some of the older videos, but I never made an account until this February. 

• I haven’t really posted anything here, more just a silent video watcher and lurker, so I haven’t made any new friends. But I’m sure everyone on here is great!

• Same answer as the previous one, unfortunately not (though this is also because of me not making an account until recently).

• I am giving the saddest “no” ever. Even if I had made an account earlier or planned to go with people I’m already friends with, competitions never happen in my area so it’s impossible since my family can’t afford to travel T.T

• Definitely the video section! There are so many hidden gems on here that don’t survive on places like Y*uTube. Figure skating in general is also not a very accessible sport, of course in terms of physically participating but also in keeping official competition footage publicly archived, so I feel relieved knowing that as many of Yuzuru’s competitions as possible are stored here (even with different angles and commentary!). Aside from that, I’ve found the forum helpful for finding out information about various things that happened in earlier years that I wasn’t present for as well. People tend to be vague on social media when discussing certain incidents (with good reason, I understand why) but I like that Planet Hanyu allows everyone to explain things in length when they want. It’s truly a great safe space for fanyus.

• Yes please!

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? Two weeks before Beijing Olympics 
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? After all the stress of the Beijing Olympics, I wanted to get to know more about Yuzu and chat with fellow fans. 
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? Sadly, no
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? No
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? No
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? I got to know many new things about Yuzu and found lots of amazing content. 
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? Yes, please. I want to win some Yuzu merch

- After PyeongChang 2018

- To stay updated regarding Yuzuru Hanyu and to also make friends and show my support.

- I haven't but I successfully persuaded my irl fanyu friend to sign in Planet Hanyu.

- I'm new so I still haven't, but I would like to participate for the new upcoming events! :)

- Still not. I still have more ways to go to participate to any meetups and competitions since I'm still 1 year below legal age. Also, I don't have that much money.

- It's the only forum where I can become updated about yuzu. It's also enjoyable and every ppl or fans who'll sign up will feel welcome.

- Yes! I would like to participate and show my support to yuzu even in a very simple way. Thank you so much for this opportunity!