I need help buying my first teapot.

Glory

Hey! I'm wanting to buy my first teapot/kettle for my birthday but after looking up the different kinds I'm kinda lost.  I want one that I can use on the stovetop and I was hoping to have one that didn't whistle :) I get headaches so that would not be a welcomed noise. 

At first I saw some Japanese ones that looked pretty cool but they are cast iron so it worried me that it might rust?? But all the others seem to whistle.

Is there anything that would be good to look for in a teapot that I'm unaware of? 

I might be overthinking things 😁

Thank you in advance for your help!

Happy birthday in advance since I don't know your actual birthday :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: :smiley-rpg012:

I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly in a kettle except for not having whitle but I found this which I think looks beautiful.

Although have you thought about an electric kettle? It heats super fast and is very convenient!

21 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

Happy birthday in advance since I don't know your actual birthday :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: :smiley-rpg012:

I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly in a kettle except for not having whitle but I found this which I think looks beautiful.

Although have you thought about an electric kettle? It heats super fast and is very convenient!

Thank you! Yes that one is very cute :) Yeah I've seen quite a few electric kettles and I might get one. I figure it it might be easier than using a pot on the stove. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes I've seen tons of Le Creuset stuff and the teapots they have look great!

22 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

Quick question, do you know if you can put a tea bag into an electric kettle? I mean after it's done boiling. Or do you have to put it into a cup? I'm super new to tea as you can tell I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Glory said:

Quick question, do you know if you can put a tea bag into an electric kettle? I mean after it's done boiling. Or do you have to put it into a cup? I'm super new to tea as you can tell I'm sure.

With all the electric kettles I've had, it wouldn't have been a problem but would have needed a very frequent cleaning, which may have worn out the kettle rather fast.

I pour hot water in a porcelain teapot with the tea bag(s) in, and a tea cot to keep it warm, but (as a Frenchie) I also have a Salam teapot and it is fine.

https://www.degrenne.com/iconic-range-salam

On 7/26/2020 at 12:45 PM, Glory said:

Hey! I'm wanting to buy my first teapot/kettle for my birthday but after looking up the different kinds I'm kinda lost.  I want one that I can use on the stovetop and I was hoping to have one that didn't whistle :) I get headaches so that would not be a welcomed noise. 

At first I saw some Japanese ones that looked pretty cool but they are cast iron so it worried me that it might rust?? But all the others seem to whistle.

Is there anything that would be good to look for in a teapot that I'm unaware of? 

I might be overthinking things 😁

Thank you in advance for your help!

I am using enameled kettles to boil water and ceramic teapots to make tea and thermos flasks to keep them. As you guessed, cast iron kettles rust, so do enameled ones. You can prevent them from rust by keeping them dry as much as possible, though. I boil as much water as I need and try not to keep the water in it, and when I am not spacing out or too busy thinking about something else, I dump the remained water when it is still hot so that the kettle can dry by its own heat.

ETA: If you make tea with a casted iron kettle, maybe you don't have to worry too much about rust.

This thread is about how tea incrustation protected an iron pan from rust.

In short, tannin contained in tea works as a deoxidizer. This person washed an iron pan using a detergent and then boiled water adding tea leaves, and put it away after dried it out, without coating it with oil, and the pan didn't rust. I found this tweet last month and completely forgot about it...

14 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

With all the electric kettles I've had, it wouldn't have been a problem but would have needed a very frequent cleaning, which may have worn out the kettle rather fast.

I pour hot water in a porcelain teapot with the tea bag(s) in, and a tea cot to keep it warm, but (as a Frenchie) I also have a Salam teapot and it is fine.

https://www.degrenne.com/iconic-range-salam

13 hours ago, sweetwater said:

I am using enameled kettles to boil water and ceramic teapots to make tea and thermos flasks to keep them. As you guessed, cast iron kettles rust, so do enameled ones. You can prevent them from rust by keeping them dry as much as possible, though. I boil as much water as I need and try not to keep the water in it, and when I am not spacing out or too busy thinking about something else, I dump the remained water when it is still hot so that the kettle can dry by its own heat.

ETA: If you make tea with a casted iron kettle, maybe you don't have to worry too much about rust.

This thread is about how tea incrustation protected an iron pan from rust.

In short, tannin contained in tea works as a deoxidizer. This person washed an iron pan using a detergent and then boiled water adding tea leaves, and put it away after dried it out, without coating it with oil, and the pan didn't rust. I found this tweet last month and completely forgot about it...

Wow all of you are so helpful! You've really helped me understand what I need to buy.  So I'm pretty sure I'm getting an electric kettle which should be better than using a pot like I've been doing. I'll probably just pour straight into a coffee mug, put the tea bag in, and then let it steep with a small plate on top. I think I'm going to go with this one. It’s a little expensive but it's for my birthday and it's just too cute. Plus it has good reviews on other websites. 

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/haden-turquoise-heritage-kettle/s563353

Thank you all for your help!! I really appreciate it!!