2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

I have a full house for Christmas for the first time in several years.  Everyone will test before coming - I am so grateful that no one is putting me on the spot by refusing to test.  Everyone whose workplace had organised a Christmas dinner/party has had it cancelled or postponed.  The most startling development is the football fans in my family doing a U turn on the way to the match tonight rather than risking the Christmas get together :eek:unprecedented 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:59 AM, river said:

And those who haven't taken this seriously from the beginning continue to blow it off as "just a cold."

Isn't it infuriating? While I would never wish harm on anyone, those 'just a cold' people make you want them to  learn a very sharp lesson.

I was talking to a friend from Calgary this week and found out that both her kids caught COVID at school in October, thanks to the Alberta government's approach to the problem. She is so angry...and her son still hasn't fully gotten his energy back yet and has bad days of relapse...and she says to me ' I coukd almost just about accept the official story that COVID is just like a very bad flu, but even after half his class caught it, the school still isn't following the school board recommendations to sanitize and air out classrooms..." 

I feel so bad for her, and I hope her son gets better. He's just a little guy, only around 10 or so.... 

On 12/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, liv said:

. They aren't asking her to get vaccinated, just take a rapid test, but she is so selfish that she refuses even that concession. How on earth can anyone be that selfish? It's a rapid test, you just swirl the swab around your nostril, you wait a few minutes, and that's it. One thing this pandemic has shown is that sometimes you really don't know the person you thought you knew, and it can actually be quite ugly

Tell me about it! I'm amazed at how many people around me seemed rational until this hit, then turned to  not believe in science...like what the heck. 

As for testing, now that the Ontario government has finally (and, in my opinion, far too late) jumped on the testing bandwagon, you don't even have to pay for the  test - they're distributing them free at the LCBO! So there's no effing excuse. 

On 12/16/2021 at 4:48 PM, Sombreuil said:

I have a full house for Christmas for the first time in several years.  Everyone will test before coming - I am so grateful that no one is putting me on the spot by refusing to test.  Everyone whose workplace had organised a Christmas dinner/party has had it cancelled or postponed.  The most startling development is the football fans in my family doing a U turn on the way to the match tonight rather than risking the Christmas get together :eek:unprecedented 

This is wonderful. People are cooperating, hooray!

Some news from the research institute at my hospital. Some really, really, really good news, if only the right funding partner can be found:

http://www.ohri.ca/newsroom/story/view/1418?l=en

I'm posting this story for a specific reason. 

If there is anyone among the satellites or fanyus reading this who work for/are associated in any way with the kind of organization that willingly funds projects like these, please bring it to their attention. 

Because a not-profit-driven, strongly-effective, cheaply-made, and easily adaptable COVID-19 vaccine is the way out of this pandemic. It's, in fact, the only way out. Big Pharma will not be interested in this because Dr. Bell is specifically taking a non-profit route and there will be no money to be made. So philanthropic organizations and NGOs are the only hope here. If you know the right people or have the right means, check out the article and see what can be done. 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Some news from the research institute at my hospital. Some really, really, really good news, if only the right funding partner can be found:

http://www.ohri.ca/newsroom/story/view/1418?l=en

I'm posting this story for a specific reason. 

If there is anyone among the satellites or fanyus reading this who work for/are associated in any way with the kind of organization that willingly funds projects like these, please bring it to their attention. 

Because a not-profit-driven, strongly-effective, cheaply-made, and easily adaptable COVID-19 vaccine is the way out of this pandemic. It's, in fact, the only way out. Big Pharma will not be interested in this because Dr. Bell is specifically taking a non-profit route and there will be no money to be made. So philanthropic organizations and NGOs are the only hope here. If you know the right people or have the right means, check out the article and see what can be done. 

Bill Gates, who I do not personally know, is a big supporter of medical research and the eradication of disease. But I haven't a clue how to get in touch with him,though his foundation (the bill and melinda gates foundation - and they do have grants - I guess you just have to figure out how to apply -)

49 minutes ago, barbara said:

Bill Gates, who I do not personally know, is a big supporter of medical research and the eradication of disease. But I haven't a clue how to get in touch with him,though his foundation (the bill and melinda gates foundation - and they do have grants - I guess you just have to figure out how to apply -)

I suspect the researchers have already tried those more obvious things, but it's still a good idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

A little news about omicron in my area: according to my S-I-L the ER nurse, every patient coming in these days tests positive, most completely asymptomatic. Guy comes in with/for a broken arm - positive, for example. Since everyone gets tested as a routine thing, this is pretty indicative of what omicron's like.

I just hope this doesn't lead to more weird variants...

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

A little news about omicron in my area: according to my S-I-L the ER nurse, every patient coming in these days tests positive, most completely asymptomatic. Guy comes in with/for a broken arm - positive, for example. Since everyone gets tested as a routine thing, this is pretty indicative of what omicron's like.

I just hope this doesn't lead to more weird variants...

Word is that there is a new variant in France but WHO says it's not concerning.  In So Arizona, all hospitals are just one step down from total crisis.  They call this stage "diversion" meaning they are trying to get anyone who needs medical help of any kind to go someplace else.

And they are also saying that the numbers being used for hospitalized-with-covid children is exclusively children who were admitted due to Covid, not the total of all children who test positive when entering the hospital (like with a broken leg). Most of those children are testing positive, but not included in the "hospitalized with Covid" totals.

Guest turquoiseblue
On 1/4/2022 at 1:56 AM, hananistellata said:

Do we have any details about Omicron cases in Japan? 

You can find the latest information about Covid 19 cases in Japan on the website run by The Nikkei (Japan Economics Newspaper):

According to this website, a total of 1601 Omicron cases have been found in Japan as of Thursday.

Sendai City confirmed its first case of Omicron on 6 January, 2022, which was also the first case in Miyagi Prefecture. Our dear Nekomasamune tweets about the number of new Covid 19 cases in Sendai City and Miyagi Prefecture every day. 

7 new cases of Covid 19 and 3 new cases of Omicron were confirmed today :68271262:

On 1/7/2022 at 12:54 PM, turquoiseblue said:

You can find the latest information about Covid 19 cases in Japan on the website run by The Nikkei (Japan Economics Newspaper):

According to this website, a total of 1601 Omicron cases have been found in Japan as of Thursday.

Sendai City confirmed its first case of Omicron on 6 January, 2022, which was also the first case in Miyagi Prefecture. Our dear Nekomasamune tweets about the number of new Covid 19 cases in Sendai City and Miyagi Prefecture every day. 

7 new cases of Covid 19 and 3 new cases of Omicron were confirmed today :68271262:

I like that they're separating the different strains in their reporting. I wish they'd do more of that here. Delta is still a factor for us

Back to my nursing home situation.... we kept omicron out for awhile, but it snuck in anyway. Who brought it? Family members. During the beginnings of covid, all visitors were banned and some residents really felt the isolation. For this wave they determined that family (1-2 designated as essential care givers per resident) would be allowed in to visit. Sounds good, until you realize all of our initial cases were traced to families who, after visiting, revealed that they were sick and subsequently tested positive. And, those people sometimes closed the door and unmasked when with their family member. It doesn't take a genius to know what happened next. So, now all units are in outbreak, residents are isolated to their rooms, staff are wearing n95s, but staff shortages are increasing every day. We all figure we'll get it soon. We're rapid tested every day now, and although I sort of live, virtually in isolation, with just my cat, I wonder, is today the day I test positive? I had my booster in early November, so the protection is most likely waning. Maybe I said this earlier somewhere, but I jokingly still say, if I have to test positive, can it be in early February for the Olympics? Lol.

The good thing is, most people are asymptomatic, although we have a few sick residents and 1 resident who is very sick. Most staff report just lingering fatigue after their bouts with it. So, thank you vaccines, you're working!!! My residents are getting their 4th shots on Friday. On it goes...

2 hours ago, liv said:

Back to my nursing home situation.... we kept omicron out for awhile, but it snuck in anyway. Who brought it? Family members. During the beginnings of covid, all visitors were banned and some residents really felt the isolation. For this wave they determined that family (1-2 designated as essential care givers per resident) would be allowed in to visit. Sounds good, until you realize all of our initial cases were traced to families who, after visiting, revealed that they were sick and subsequently tested positive. And, those people sometimes closed the door and unmasked when with their family member. It doesn't take a genius to know what happened next. So, now all units are in outbreak, residents are isolated to their rooms, staff are wearing n95s, but staff shortages are increasing every day. We all figure we'll get it soon. We're rapid tested every day now, and although I sort of live, virtually in isolation, with just my cat, I wonder, is today the day I test positive? I had my booster in early November, so the protection is most likely waning. Maybe I said this earlier somewhere, but I jokingly still say, if I have to test positive, can it be in early February for the Olympics? Lol.

The good thing is, most people are asymptomatic, although we have a few sick residents and 1 resident who is very sick. Most staff report just lingering fatigue after their bouts with it. So, thank you vaccines, you're working!!! My residents are getting their 4th shots on Friday. On it goes...

When you seems like it is inevitable, it must feel like it would be best to just get it and then be able to re-emerge on the other side.  But I hope you don't get it anyway.  At least you have a cat. (And I think, from what I've read, that it is inadvisable to get another booster while your antibodies think they are doing their job. They won't have waned yet - so if you do get the virus, it'll hopefully be mild....).

19 hours ago, liv said:

Oh, that must be so disappointing after you all worked so hard to keep COVID out. I hope you don't test positive. 

Proving that it takes all kinds of people to make a pandemic:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/an-84-year-old-man-in-india-gets-covid-vaccine-12-times-claiming-it-cures-joint-pain/ar-AASEW7P?li=AAggNb9

I don't know whether to laugh, or shake my head. I mean obviously I don't condone resorting to skulduggery to get extra doses of the vaccine...but compare this guy to the people who are so scared of one dose they'd rather rip society to shreds around them than take it, and, well, :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...