General Yuzuru Chat

20 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So roughly $80,000 CAD, give or take a thousand. Very good for one ice show! 

Ah, I see someone has addressed this. It's $600,000 in US dollars too, an absolutely amazing amount for a livestream-only show done as simply as possible to save the money for the cause and with four skaters. And there is more to come with the archive tickets and further shirt sales.

Yuzu and his friends (and it is clear that these three along with Keiji and a few others, really are his trusted friends) have done Noto proud.

9 hours ago, TallyT said:

Ah, I see someone has addressed this. It's $600,000 in US dollars too, an absolutely amazing amount for a livestream-only show done as simply as possible to save the money for the cause and with four skaters. And there is more to come with the archive tickets and further shirt sales.

Yuzu and his friends (and it is clear that these three along with Keiji and a few others, really are his trusted friends) have done Noto proud.

I agree! 

Sorry to distract with a relatively unimportant quandary of mine, but I'm so curious:

- Which is Miyahara-san's given name - Satoko or Tomoko ? I've seen both being used lately. Is it perhaps because of the different possibilities of reading the respective kanji and their translation ?? (Have to confess that I know very-very little about the Japanese language.)

- Until now, I've only ever seen Mura-san's given name written/translated as "Takahito" - now suddenly it's Takato ! What happened to the "hi" syllable ?

11 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Sorry to distract you with a relatively unimportant dilemma, but I'm so curious:

- What is Miyahara-san's first name - Satoko or Tomoko? I've seen both used recently. Is it perhaps because of the different reading possibilities of the respective kanji and their translation? (I must admit that I know very, very little Japanese.)

- Until now, I had only seen Mura-san's first name written/translated as "Takahito" - now it's Takato! What happened to the syllable "hi"?

I follow you in this approach, because I also noticed this change!? Also not really knowing Japanese calligraphy at all.... 

12 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Sorry to distract with a relatively unimportant quandary of mine, but I'm so curious:

- Which is Miyahara-san's given name - Satoko or Tomoko ? I've seen both being used lately. Is it perhaps because of the different possibilities of reading the respective kanji and their translation ?? (Have to confess that I know very-very little about the Japanese language.)

- Until now, I've only ever seen Mura-san's given name written/translated as "Takahito" - now suddenly it's Takato ! What happened to the "hi" syllable ?

Satoko and Takahito are the correct ones.

Unfortunately Japanese kanji names are pretty confusing, they can be read in multiple ways hence auto-translations don't work properly. :laughing:

13 時間前, Beatriceさんが言いました:

The kanji used for Satoko Miyahara's given name is 知子.  This kanji is usually read Tomoko (ともこ) and it is rare to read Satoko (さとこ). So, I guess machine translation or something read it Tomoko.  Maybe, so is 崇人, as it can be read Takato too.

Satoko's kanji name can be read in some ways but you can see how rare to read Satoko here.

https://namegen.jp/details/知子?type=mei&sex=female

Satoko's name has been proven in the book for reading as above even if it is rare, but, Yes, Japanese names are very confusing. It may sound ridiculous, but basically you can read names in Kanji as you like, because there is no section in Japanese family register to specify how to read the name in kanji. Besides, there are so many combinations of kanji for a name. So, even Japanese have to confirm how to read it frequently. And young parents these days prefer names that sound original or fashionable, something like that of anime characters. Such names are called kirakira names jokingly. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kira_kira_name 

There is a professional golfer named 今井 月(IMAI Runa). 月 means moon, and as you may see, this comes from "luna" in English. Already not a Japanese word :smiley-shocked032:

Fortunately, there is a move to come back to classic names with standard reading way. What a relief :laughing:

Also, It has become so disorganized recently that the government is considering tightening the family registration law with regard to the reading way.

The name of Yuzuru, 結弦 is aesthetic, authentic and original at the same time. I feel his parents are really intelligent.

23 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

The kanji used for Satoko Miyahara's given name is 知子.  This kanji is usually read Tomoko (ともこ) and it is rare to read Satoko (さとこ). So, I guess machine translation or something read it Tomoko.  Maybe, so is 崇人, as it can be read Takato too.

Satoko's kanji name can be read in some ways but you can see how rare to read Satoko here.

https://namegen.jp/details/知子?type=mei&sex=female

Satoko's name has been proven in the book for reading as above even if it is rare, but, Yes, Japanese names are very confusing. It may sound ridiculous, but basically you can read names in Kanji as you like, because there is no section in Japanese family register to specify how to read the name in kanji. Besides, there are so many combinations of kanji for a name. So, even Japanese have to confirm how to read it frequently. And young parents these days prefer names that sound original or fashionable, something like that of anime characters. Such names are called kirakira names jokingly. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kira_kira_name 

There is a professional golfer named 今井 月(IMAI Runa). 月 means moon, and as you may see, this comes from "luna" in English. Already not a Japanese word :smiley-shocked032:

Fortunately, there is a move to come back to classic names with standard reading way. What a relief :laughing:

Also, It has become so disorganized recently that the government is considering tightening the family registration law with regard to the reading way.

The name of Yuzuru, 結弦 is aesthetic, authentic and original at the same time. I feel his parents are really intelligent.

This is very interesting and educational to read. Out of curiosity are there any other ways to read kanji’s in Yuzuru name? And is it actually a popular name in Japan? 

47 分, CashmereKittyさんが言いました:

This is very interesting and educational to read. Out of curiosity are there any other ways to read kanji’s in Yuzuru name? And is it actually a popular name in Japan? 

Actually, there are two types of the name "Yuzuru" in Japanese.

One is from Kanji group that mainly mean "concede", which is ゆずる in hiragana letters.

The typical one is 譲.

https://b-name.jp/赤ちゃん名前辞典/m/ゆずる/

And the other is ゆづる. This frequently involves the kanji 弦, which means string and can be read つる tsuru by itself, so this should be づ not ず as the name, although there is only one writing way and pronunciation "zu" in English.

https://pon-navi.net/nazuke/name/reading/m/ゆづる

The typical one is 弓弦, meaning bow and string, which I knew. Actually, 結弦 (tightening strings) was not so common before, so many could not read at the first sight, although I suppose there is almost no one who cannot read these days :graucho:

But, I myself did not know that 弦 is also included in ゆずる group, and 譲 is also in ゆづる group until I checked today. 

Such being the case, how confusing Japanese names are is already beyond my ability to explain :13877886: Sorry, guys.

9 hours ago, yuzurujenn said:

Satoko and Takahito are the correct ones. Unfortunately Japanese kanji names are pretty confusing, they can be read in multiple ways hence auto-translations don't work properly. :laughing:

Thank you for your reply. So my supposition was correct regarding kanji interpretation being the "culprit" :wink2:

7 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

. . . . .   basically you can read names in Kanji as you like, because there is no section in Japanese family register to specify how to read the name in kanji. Besides, there are so many combinations of kanji for a name. So, even Japanese have to confirm how to read it frequently.

. . .

Actually, there are two types of the name "Yuzuru" in Japanese. . . . . .

. . . . . Such being the case, how confusing Japanese names are is already beyond my ability to explain :13877886: 

Sorry, guys.

Thank you for expending the effort for this extensive elucidation :thanks:

Now I think I comprehend it ... NOT !  :scratch3:  :giggle: 

That's why I don't even try to learn Japanese - besides, I'm way too old and also haven't got the time.  :weeping:

But I regarded it as a point of honour for me to apply myself to learn the lyrics of the Japanese anthem (no, I don't mean SEIMEI  :wink2: )  --- so that I can sing "Kimigayo" with Yuzu in the medal ceremony videos of yore  :heartpound:

I've also learned the 1. verse and chorus of Yumi Matsutoya's "Haru yo koi" and now I can sing along to Takebe-san's piano rendition of it when I re_watch GIFT.

(I love-love-love Kiyozuka-san's "Haru...", but it's not so useful to practice sing-along to that, because it contains the intro and the chorus, but not the verse and the bridge.)

(I've also learnt the lyrics of "Notte stellata", but that was easy, coz I know a tiny little bit Italian.)

-----

A plea to Japanese fellow Fanyus with some spare time on their hands - and it's not urgent:

Could someone please take the "Haru..." lyrics I wrote in the box below and make a word-to-word translation? Not a grammatically correct translation, not a poetically beautiful one, not a machine translation (I've done that several times). I really mean one Japanese word to one English word (as far as it is possible), even if the compilation doesn't make sense in English. I'd really like to know what each Japanese word means when I sing them.

I wrote the text in the box from memory, honestly, not copy-and-paste, hontoni ! I hope I haven't botched it with blatant blunders  :slinkaway:

Spoiler

Awaki hikari tatsu niwaka ame

Itoshi omokage no jinchouge

Afururu namida no tsubomi kara

Hitotsu hitotsu kaori hajimeru.

Sore wa, sore wa, sora wo koete

Yagate, yagate, mukae ni kuru.

Haru yo, tooki haru yo,

Mabuta tojireba soko ni

Ai wo kureshi kimi no

Natsukashiki koe ga suru.