General Yuzuru Chat

Funny, I always interpreted the 'shuu' as the 'sweep' his arm makes when he closes them across his body to rotate a jump (and the accompanying force). He said explicitly somewhere that it wasn't related to the jump itself or I would have also speculated it meant the sound of the blade sweeping through the ice when he takes off. 

1 minute ago, kaerb said:

Funny, I always interpreted the 'shuu' as the 'sweep' his arm makes when he closes them across his body to rotate a jump (and the accompanying force). He said explicitly somewhere that it wasn't related to the jump itself or I would have also speculated it meant the sound of the blade sweeping through the ice when he takes off. 

Yeah, I agree. When he was explaining in that NHK interview, he demonstrated it by closing his arms on the shuu moment. 

2 minutes ago, xeyra said:

His 3A technique has always been to jump at the wall. Completely different than the shuu pah of his 4Lo. :joy:

According to Ice Jewels Vol.5:

I have yet to land 4T in the second half really crisply with a “su-pan!”, although the landing was fine. It is especially the case with the first 4S, but nothing makes me go “finally, I am able to own the jumps in this program” more so than when I’m able to maintain running, flowing edges after the landing in all my jumps. The landing of that 3A in the SP, too, was no longer boring and I was able to execute it smoothly, flowingly with a “su-ton!“

In conclusion:

• 4Lo - "Shuu-paa"
  • 4T - "Su-pan"
  • 3A - " Su-ton!"

Oh zuzu... :rofl:

4 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

In conclusion:

• 4Lo - "Shuu-paa"
  • 4T - "Su-pan"
  • 3A - " Su-ton!"

Oh zuzu... :rofl:

Just imagining the little kids like :idk::mischief: while he's trying to explain to them. Or he'll do a super scientific explanation in machine-gun rapid fire and......also leave them confused :laughing:

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Him and his sounds...is his hearing that good? How the heck can he hear the sound of his take-off on top of the blasting program music?

If his earphone collection is anything to go by, I'm pretty sure Yuzu's hearing ability is quite extraordinary like.....how could you possibly hear the differences = u =

In relation to onomatopoeias.. Maybe Shoma's onto something about this is how geniuses think. :rofl:Remember Yuzu's talk with Nomura Mansai translated here?

I reread it and found some amusing tidbits..

Nomura: The biggest difference between the Japanese way and the Western way is how the body is used to express music. Western people try to embody all the sounds, mark all the rhythm, and the movements become a lot. For us, it’s a culture of omission (or reduction). Where there is no sound, to go in purposely with a “suu….”, and jump with a “bang” and drop down with a “dong”.

Y: So to have something come out from a place of “nothing” or “silence”…

N: Waves don’t move at a constant speed. They go slowly, then gradually rise up and then go 'zudon’. So we too from slow, gradually get faster and rise to a peak.

10 minutes ago, robin said:

OT but I love hearing the shu pa from him. How he says the "pa" in a low voice is oddly fascinating.

Off season means we are nerding out and overthinking his "shuu-paa" sounds...Hanyu Sensei, be proud of yourself.

11 minutes ago, kaerb said:

If his earphone collection is anything to go by, I'm pretty sure Yuzu's hearing ability is quite extraordinary like.....how could you possibly hear the differences = u =

Remember the FS sound designer, Keiichi Yano? He had this to say about Yuzu (this was before Sochi in 2014, so it's understandable now how he's so used to Yuzu's requests... hahaha).

Before Sochi, the free programme music had some very subtle sounds or noise that usually would not be noticed.  Hanyu said to me, “I would like it to be removed.”   So I listened very carefully and really, there was some noise but it would only be noticed by a pro, not by a normal person, so it is amazing that he noticed it.

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

Off season means we are nerding out and overthinking his "shuu-paa" sounds...Hanyu Sensei, be proud of yourself.

I'm enjoying this whole conversation from afar. :rofl:

I usually imagine the "shuu" visually and the "pa" auditorily but I don't jump and I'm not Yuzu so I'm pretty sure my interpretation is incorrect and I doubt I will ever get it

13 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

In relation to onomatopoeias.. Maybe Shoma's onto something about this is how geniuses think. :rofl:Remember Yuzu's talk with Nomura Mansai translated here?

Ohhh it's been awhile since I've read this interview in full but I love how Yuzu was the definition of 'mind blown' in this (a rare feat!). I can clearly see how he adapted the stuff they were talking about into Seimei and his other performances (especially the start and end poses in Seimei) and some were really pertinent - making the place your 'ally', the importance of 'form' and the skating equivalent of musical dynamics to bring out certain parts. I wish they could have a reunion - I feel like talking to performers in other fields and cross-discipline education in performance really helps and Yuzu is particularly sensitive to this, I think ( :

Also: "So you have to make them go “Ohhh” even though they knew that it was coming." - possibly something that propelled his determination to do jumps that 'meld' into the choreography? : P

9 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

I was reading the other interview with Nomura from that blog, and I don't remember seeing Yuzu so flustered in an interview like he was here. :xD: