General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, Anony said:

Maybe someone should go run around promoting a "Respect Yuzuru Hanyu" campaign to shove in front of  REAL skating fans,(TM), bc there sure wasn't a lot of that before he was a big name, and frankly still not a lot of that now over half a decade later.

One should not make generalizations about those who have only come lately to join those who have been in awe of Yuzu since those early days when he wasn't even seen as 'the new kid on the block' yet.  In my case I admit that I was not acquainted with figure skating and indeed was surfing YouTube for some full-show vids of men's bicycle road-racing and I stumbled onto a vid of Yuzu's free-skate at World's this year.  I paused to watch it and was immediately grabbed by it.  Now at that time I knew very little about figure-skating and even now I would readily defer to those many others on this forum who've been on the scene for years, but I have a strong interest in ballet, an interest ongoing since my very early teens more than 50 years ago.  Watching Yuzu I saw somebody who obviously knew how to move, how to merge motion with music.  Basically road-racing was dropped that day as I began searching out other vids of Yuzu and shortly thereafter I came across his SP at Sochi.  Parisian Walkways was a revelation.  I'd never thought figure-skating could do the sorts of things (and here I'm commenting on the choreography, the things that make for high PCS scores and not the jumps) that Yuzu was doing.  Here was a program where the skater was not simply skating, he was role-playing on a very high level.  That hooked me and after that I began searching out everything Yuzu.  I knew even then he was more than just 'special', he was one of those who DEFINE what being special is.  Eventually I came across this forum here and lurked for a short time before joining.  Over the short time I've been here I've learned a lot from other members here and I have learned a lot from my own explorations into things Yuzu, and while it might seem I've not been around long enough to say some things I have said over time here it should be remembered that although my PhD is in English, which bears little resemblance to figure skating, I am a trained researcher.  Graduate school involves not so much the acquisition of information in a particular field (although it does include some of that), it's more involved with teaching the skills necessary to making one self-reliant in the gathering of pertinent information.  That's how I was able to acquire the knowledge I've been able to acquire in such a short time, which is still quite small compared to the knowledge of several of those here.  The point I'm trying to make is that there might be a fair number of seeming newcomers to skating here, newcomers who literally stumbled onto Yuzu by chance.  I got into the whole Yuzu thing by chance but the decades I've spent with my fascination with ballet let me know almost immediately that he was a 'kid' who really knows how to move for effect.  I might not have known a great deal about figure skating but I do know how to discern real talent when it comes to controlled movement.  That's what grabbed me when I first started watching Yuzu.  He might not be a ballet dancer but in the field of figure skating he's on the same level as Nureyev and Baryshnikov are in ballet.

21 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

@SparkleSalad Spam me with all the videos. I'm taking the weekend completely off and stupid windows did something during update that freed up enough space that I can suddenly use my laptop without freezing and crashing again.

All the Yuzu spam.

All of it.

This video has:

Getting carried away with tacky music for a second

Twizzle entrance 3A twizzle exit that will blow your damn mind

Cute bow with Evgenia

10 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

This video has:

Getting carried away with tacky music for a second

Twizzle entrance 3A twizzle exit that will blow your damn mind

Cute bow with Evgenia

Oh, dear!!

YES, YOU WILL SURVIVE, BOTH OF YOU!

Thank you (not even a little bit) for following narrative traditions and giving them both injuries right smack in the middle of it, Olympic season! Thank you (not at all)!

The spin-spin-spin-fly-spinspinspin-spin-spin! I do love it.

And of course, what's the best place to keep your gloves? In your mouth, boys and girls! In your mouth.

Oh, this boy. He does some of the stupid music-emoting stuff I did locked in my room in front of the mirror and jumping on the bed, right there, out on the ice, with cameras and an audience.