General Yuzuru Chat

Exclusive interview with The Asahi Shimbun (Part 4)

Spoiler

Q : The venue for 『GIFT』this time is quite big. Why did you want to hold (the ice show) there?

Y : If you ask me if I definitely wanted to perform at Tokyo Dome, it wasn’t (really) like that. This time, I think I was blessed with the opportunity of being able to do my own show on that stage. But I’m still at the planning stage so I can’t really say in detail about what I’ll be doing. The Dome is really big so of course, if a lot of people can enter (that place,) the space must be huge, right? In that sense, I think that the range of expression between Figure Skating and Hanyu Yuzuru will be expanded in such a space (like Tokyo Dome.) (So,) I now believe that the Dome is the best way/place to explore that possibility.

Q: It also shows how skating is expressed at a higher level, doesn’t it?

Y : It may seem very presumptuous of me, but I think it’d be great if I could create an ice show in the genre of『Hanyu Yuzuru, 』 instead of the genre of Figure Skating. I’ve been thinking about it ever since I turned Pro. I’ve been working hard, hoping to become that kind of person. Not only the genre of Figure Skating that can only be done in that space (Tokyo Dome,) but also『it can be done because it's Hanyu Yuzuru』 and 『it can be done because that space makes it possible.』 And I’d like to make it a world of expression in which you can feel that without Hanyu Yuzuru, this many people won't gather, or that so many team members wouldn’t be able to come together.

Q : The first person who held (a show) alone at Tokyo Dome was singer Misora Hibari-san. (While listening to the question, Yuzu showed his amazement.) 

Misora Hibari-san has a song called ‘Singing is my life.’ The lyrics say, ‘What am I singing for,’ ‘I’m singing for you.’ Listening to Hanyu-san today, I really felt a link between the two.

Y: *laughs* I think so too. To be honest, I think about many things and wonder what I exist for. From the fans’ POV, they may think that there’s no need for me to think about the meaning of my existence. They may think it’s not (really) necessary for me to delve into it. (But at the same time,) people say they want to see me, and they (also) believe there’s some value in it. But to be honest, when I look back on my life, I'm sure that there must’ve been times when I had such a strong desire to meet (people's) expectations that I ended up neglecting my own will. In that sense, I wondered what I was skating for, I started skating because I liked it. (So, at the times) when I don’t even feel like I like Figure Skating anymore, and just give my best, in order to meet people’s expectations. I wondered what I was really doing it for. There were times when I looked back (on my life) too much and thought about many things, but just like the theme of 『GIFT』this time...If people watch my skating with so many feelings, and (also) feel the value of it by saying things such as『(your skating) cheered me up』or『It gave me the energy to live.』After all, if they say so, I’ve got no choice but to do my best. *laughs*

I’ve received letters from people, for example, there was a grandmother who was over 90 years old, who was having a difficult time due to surgery, but she watched my performance, she got better and miraculously recovered. When I hear such stories, I’ve got no choice but to keep on (skating,) right? *laughs* But if you ask me if I don’t like (hearing such things,) I believe that’s not the case. I think that’s my mission, and if everyone has expectations of me, if they want to see me, then I’ll continue to skate and deliver my skating in a way that it will exceed (everyone’s) expectations.

Q: In such a large venue (like Tokyo Dome,) does it give you the time to visualize (the fact) that you’re supported by so many people?

Y: Yes. Also, it’s great the fact that I can express what I want to express (in a space like the Dome.) Of course, I think a lot people will be able to watch (my ice show,) but this time so far, (people have seen) through my programs what it’s like jumping on a competition ice rink with normal lighting. Things such as, “Ah! This kind of world existed around Hanyu Yuzuru.” 

By being able to feel the emotions behind my skating, the spectator may feel different emotions again, or may feel something that was not felt at that time, but can be felt now. 

That’s the kind of place I want to create. I’m sure there are expressions which wouldn’t be possible without that space (Tokyo Dome,) so I’d like to pursue that possibility without compromise.

source https://digital.asahi.com/sp/articles/ASQD84R27QCKUTQP00B.html?ptoken=01GNAVY8NW1A6975DMS292WQ0D

translation : @sweetyuzu

2 hours ago, ccy said:

Exclusive interview with The Asahi Shimbun (Part 4)

Reveal hidden contents

Q : The venue for 『GIFT』this time is quite big. Why did you want to hold (the ice show) there?

Y

Q: It also shows how skating is expressed at a higher level, doesn’t it?

Y : It may seem very presumptuous of me, but I think it’d be great if I could create an ice show in the genre of『Hanyu Yuzuru, 』 instead of the genre of Figure Skating. I’ve been thinking about it ever since I turned Pro. I’ve been working hard, hoping to become that kind of person. Not only the genre of Figure Skating that can only be done in that space (Tokyo Dome,) but also『it can be done because it's Hanyu Yuzuru』 and 『it can be done because that space makes it possible.』 And I’d like to make it a world of expression in which you can feel that without Hanyu Yuzuru, this many people won't gather, or that so many team members wouldn’t be able to come together.

Q

Misora Hibari-san has a song called ‘Singing is my life.’ The lyrics say, ‘What am I singing for,’ ‘I’m singing for you.’ Listening to Hanyu-san today, I really felt a link between the two.

Y: *laughs* I think so too. To be honest, I think about many things and wonder what I exist for. From the fans’ POV, they may think that there’s no need for me to think about the meaning of my existence. They may think it’s not (really) necessary for me to delve into it. (But at the same time,) people say they want to see me, and they (also) believe there’s some value in it. But to be honest, when I look back on my life, I'm sure that there must’ve been times when I had such a strong desire to meet (people's) expectations that I ended up neglecting my own will. In that sense, I wondered what I was skating for, I started skating because I liked it. (So, at the times) when I don’t even feel like I like Figure Skating anymore, and just give my best, in order to meet people’s expectations. I wondered what I was really doing it for.There were times when I looked back (on my life) too much and thought about many things, but just like the theme of 『GIFT』this time...If people watch my skating with so many feelings, and (also) feel the value of it by saying things such as『(your skating) cheered me up』or『It gave me the energy to live.』After all, if they say so, I’ve got no choice but to do my best. *laughs*

I’ve received letters from people, for example, there was a grandmother who was over 90 years old, who was having a difficult time due to surgery, but she watched my performance, she got better and miraculously recovered. When I hear such stories, I’ve got no choice but to keep on (skating,) right? *laughs* But if you ask me if I don’t like (hearing such things,) I believe that’s not the case. I think that’s my mission, and if everyone has expectations of me, if they want to see me, then I’ll continue to skate and deliver my skating in a way that it will exceed (everyone’s) expectations.

Q: In such a large venue (like Tokyo Dome,) does it give you the time to visualize (the fact) that you’re supported by so many people?

Y: Yes. Also, it’s great the fact that I can express what I want to express (in a space like the Dome.) Of course, I think a lot people will be able to watch (my ice show,) but this time so far, (people have seen) through my programs what it’s like jumping on a competition ice rink with normal lighting. Things such as, “Ah! This kind of world existed around Hanyu Yuzuru.” 

By being able to feel the emotions behind my skating, the spectator may feel different emotions again, or may feel something that was not felt at that time, but can be felt now. 

That’s the kind of place I want to create. I’m sure there are expressions which wouldn’t be possible without that space (Tokyo Dome,) so I’d like to pursue that possibility without compromise.

source

translation : @sweetyuzu

Yuzu has given this 90 years old grandmother a lot of strength.:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Here also the interview video. 

@ LiaRy Maybe you can upload this again in our video section. Thanks in advance.:smiley-angelic001:

:68271262:

Marika's translation of the new Yuzu video for "Classic TV"

[NEWS]

" I wanted to keep talking for hours!" :wink2:

Yes Yuzu, we like to listen to you.:tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

13 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

So Yuzu said he wants to continue working on 4A. On one hand, it's not surprising considering he is who he is. But on the other hand, I do worry a bit about the danger of practicing the 4A. But he knows best what his body can and cannot endure. I just hope he stays happy and healthy. :smiley-angelic001:

I perfectly understand although I also thought that perhaps now that Yuzu is not competing, he's also not so much stressed about the expectations vs competitive results he could not achieve for the reasons we all know about. So this type of pressure and stress is gone, as well as all the other requirements of the competition season. He's setting his own  schedules now. He said back in July he can spread his wings now, his head is somewhere else and he's thriving. This may be giving him additional strength - we've seen Yuzu skating 3 shows in Hachinohe within 4 days with almost no mistakes at all. He really is a PRO athlete. 

3 hours ago, Anni said:

🤗

[NEWS]

Here is the song "Fly High"

So many looking forward to see Yuzu.:heartpound:

I read on twitter, that the rehearsals for the show are already taken place.

It must be wonderful to be an artist producing such a tribute to Yuzu, he's most likely going to learn about it. I hope it will bring him joy. 

Yuzu and the creation of programmes plus the video conceptualisation - camera placement, editing etc, is pure genius.

After Beethoven went deaf, many people probably expected him to stop composing because he was no longer able to hear the notes. Yet many of his great works were composed following the onset of his disability. Beethoven was still able to 'hear' the notes and the music concepts in his head. Da Vinci's inventions were similar, he was able to transpose his ideas on to the page or canvas.

Many of the world's great theoretical scientists will never be able to see sub atomic particles or forces and yet they are able to derive formulae and conceptualise the laws which govern the universe. 

Yuzu's mind and brain power can definitely be classed amongst the elite visionaries and intellects. ( in my very humble opinion )

17 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Ahem? Yuzu has not retired. He's turned professional. 

Actually,  he's redefining what 'turn professional' means...

You are totally correct and we are completely spoiled with Yuzu feast days now. 

Take pity on our tender hearts. On Liberation Day, when the announcement was delivered, nobody except Yuzu knew what Yuzu's idea of professional meant and whether Yuzu would take some time for himself nor when any of us would see Yuzu perform again. It was a time of uncertainty and a small amount of worry, even despair. 

Now we are all able to rejoice because Professional Yuzu cometh, with Prologue, Gift and a whole host of interviews and TV appearances, new books and merchandise AND social media:puddingpooh:

Hooray for the decision to become Professional Senshuu Yuzu:hairflip:

10 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

And we really thought he'd fade into obscurity after retiring 🤡

I remember once Yuzuru saying "anyway when I retire everyone will forget about me" - he's making damn sure we don't now!! :LOL:

ENGLISH SUBS

Aw what a lovely conversation - but Yuzu saying he will NEVER give up on 4A!! Yuzu one day you will be 60 and you will give up, I promise!

EDIT: I can't believe I have to add this edit!  "Unless you land it before then Yuzuru" I should have written...:smileys-cheerleading-867900:

3 hours ago, Pammi said:

I remember once Yuzuru saying "anyway when I retire everyone will forget about me" - he's making damn sure we don't now!! :LOL:

To quote Christopher Robin

"Pooh, promise you won't forget about me ever. Not even when I'm a hundred"

Pooh thought for a little while "How old shall I be then?"

"Ninety nine"

Pooh nodded, " I promise" he said.

Yuzu is already on his way to becoming a legend, when retirement comes in about fifty or eighty years time Yuzu's accomplishments will be even greater. Yuzu will never be forgotten