General Yuzuru Chat

9 分ぐらい, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Give me some nice easy actors on a movie promotion tour any day over a politician: the content is a lot easier, pay per hour not all that much different and if you're lucky, you get something nice to look at. ;)

Ahh, first of all you have to do something to g** r*d *f Ms. Natsuko Toda!!!!!  (She is not an interpreter, she's a cinema subtitle translator whose mistakes are often pointed out on Twitter.)

Though for Americans, for me it depends on the region, for interpreting. NY, Wash., DC, Boston and New England area I find easy, California I've gotten used to through experience, but midwest or south? Texas and Louisiana are my particular nightmares New Orleans is a great city, but it's like, do they really speak English??? :facepalm::rofl:

It might be because of New Orleans also had French influences ... (just joking)

On 6/20/2017 at 9:29 AM, axelnojutsu said:

Did anyone watch these? 

Yuzu-related part of second show can be found in this video

Explanation was kindly provided in this thread few pages ago

10 分ぐらい, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Okay, some regional talk in Japan is a nightmare, with the elderly in particular - Yuzu's beloved Sendai also isn't among the most easy to understand. ;) (Phew, last minute save from completely off topic. ^^; )

Luckily for Japanese learners, Yuzuru talks in clear cut standard accent.  The problem is it's usually so fast!

We Japanese fans love Sendai adverb ジャス (pronounced "jasu").  It's only used in Miyagi Prefecture.

ジャス is short for ジャージ.

ジャージ in Japanese means "jersey", but usually refers to gym uniforms or track suits.

We use ジャス like ”ゆづのANAジャスかっこいいよね!!” (= Yuzu's ANA jasu is cool) :)

20 minutes ago, sister555 said:

Ahh, first of all you have to do something to g** r*d *f Ms. Natsuko Toda!!!!!  (She is not an interpreter, she's a cinema subtitle translator whose mistakes are often pointed out on Twitter.)

It might be because of New Orleans also had French influences ... (just joking)

I haven't checked on Ms Toda's work - obviously I don't need to - so I don't know if she makes actual mistakes or if she is simply a victim of the disadvantage all people who do subtitles are subjected to, namely that it's impossible to convey in text - in a foreign language, at that - everything that's spoken on screen. 

It's very easy, of course, for the ignorant and lazy to criticise what they don't know anything about. Maybe they could take the time they spend complaining on twitter to actually learn English, they wouldn't need subtitles then. (This relates to Japan, where nearly all major imported movies are in English.)

As for New Orleans/Louisiana, there are far more language influences than French - in its numerous variations - such as Spanish - again in a number of variations - multiple Native American languages and terms from various African languages as the oldest. 

Incidentally, you provided me with a surprise: you're the first translator I've encountered in over 30 years who seems to need/want a basic daily language support group in one of your target languages.

But then again I think you didn't say your a professional translator. Or maybe I just got something wrong about your desire to have an English study group.

Just now, Dara said:

Kansail local tv will show Nobu visiting Yuzuruha-jinja tomorrow :kitty:

I hope someone tapes this and puts it online! :)

42 分ぐらい, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I haven't checked on Ms Toda's work - obviously I don't need to - so I don't know if she makes actual mistakes or if she is simply a victim of the disadvantage all people who do subtitles are subjected to, namely that it's impossible to convey in text - in a foreign language, at that - everything that's spoken on screen. 

It's very easy, of course, for the ignorant and lazy to criticise what they don't know anything about. Maybe they could take the time they spend complaining on twitter to actually learn English, they wouldn't need subtitles then. (This relates to Japan, where nearly all major imported movies are in English.)

I'd just like to inform you that Ms Natsuko Toda's mistranslation is pointed out very seriously.   This is just for your reference:  http://arda.saloon.jp/blog/toda/   * Incidentally, Mr. Kanji Hayashi, whose name appears on this site, is a Japanese subtitle translator who I admire most.  His most admirable work should be the subtitle for "Clockwork Orange".

42 分ぐらい, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Incidentally, you provided me with a surprise: you're the first translator I've encountered in over 30 years who seems to need/want a basic daily language support group in one of your target languages.

But then again I think you didn't say your a professional translator. Or maybe I just got something wrong about your desire to have an English study group.

I'm deeply sorry to say I'm a professional translator for over 30 years.

And I don't feel any shame in asking for native speakers' help for basic daily English, because, after all, I am not a native speaker.

I created an English Study thread also for others who are too shy to ask for English help on other threads.  

This is all what I want to say.  Now time to switch off.  Fire extinguisher, please.

And I'll jump off to my futon!!! :)

12 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Thanks to kaerb for her translations of Kenji's Room Episodes 1 and 2!

For future reference, these are the links to the translations of all five episodes of Kenji's Room with Yuzuru Hanyu:

Episode 1 – September 1, 2015

https://yuzulia1.tumblr.com/post/128241378924/kenjis-room-episode-1-translation-i

Episode 2 – September 8, 2015

http://yuzuruhanyubr.tumblr.com/post/128820801146/kenjis-room-episode-2-translation

Episode 3 – September 15, 2015

http://yuzuland.tumblr.com/post/129178198907/kenjis-room-with-yuzuru-hanyu-episode-3

Episode 4 – September 23, 2015

http://yuzuland.tumblr.com/post/129711465692/kenjis-room-with-yuzuru-hanyu-episode-4 

Episode 5 – October 1, 2015

http://yuzuland.tumblr.com/post/130235684437/kenjis-room-with-yuzuru-hanyu-episode-5

Thank you so much!  I can't wait to read these translations!

57 minutes ago, Dara said:

Re: clean 4Lo in the dark.

I saw tweets from fans who were at the show, and they are pretty sure that Yuzu did 3Lo, and this writer is mistaken.

Yuzu always quad and triple make people confused. So the writer might think he do 4Lo because of his jump height.

1 hour ago, Floria said:

Re: the new version of Ballade highlighting Yuzu's "improvisation," with no set theme & expressing what he's feeling at the moment

That's very interesting. It reminds me of how back at NHK 2015 he had that otherworldly fierce look on his face at the end of the program, and after noticing it he paid attention to contain his competitive self at GPF (this info is actually from one episode of Kenji no Heya). Now he's taking a different approach apparently. That could be a reason for why this new Chopin feels sharper, more commanding & powerful than before. Yuzu's "man on a mission" mode oozing out I suppose. I love it!