Jump to content

Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Lily* said:

I think this translation is pretty accurate about the "things only you can do" part. Just one thing I interpreted differently is:
    なかなか4回転ルッツに対してのルッツのジャンプじゃないのかもしれないですけど。
    In regard to the 4Lz, it may no longer be a lutz jump.

 

Now this is really tough to interpret and only he knows what he really meant, but from the context I would translate this way:
     It might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

About 下で回る(to rotate down there), I’m pretty sure he meant pre-rotation, but he avoided that word.
 

Could it possibly mean it isn't suitable for him to jump the 4Lz that way? That seems like it would fit the context too (although, alas, it's significantly less spicy)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Could it possibly mean it isn't suitable for him to jump the 4Lz that way? That seems like it would fit the context too (although, alas, it's significantly less spicy)

 

I think everyone should stop skirting around "mines" when Yuzu dropped the bomb himself lol. 

 

Reminds me of back when people insisted that Yuzu didn't have suicidal thoughts during CWW and try to tone down his words, then bully and harass everyone who suggested otherwise. Imo if he chose to bring these topics up in these circumstances, he really means what he said. He put it across in the least offensive way, but there's no sugarcoating his words, and trying to bring down the "controversy" by giving the "least controversial interpretation" isn't doing his intentions any justice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Salior said:

 

I think everyone should stop skirting around "mines" when Yuzu dropped the bomb himself lol. 

 

Reminds me of back when people insisted that Yuzu didn't have suicidal thoughts during CWW and try to tone down his words, then bully and harass everyone who suggested otherwise. Imo if he chose to bring these topics up in these circumstances, he really means what he said. He put it across in the least offensive way, but there's no sugarcoating his words, and trying to bring down the "controversy" by giving the "least controversial interpretation" isn't doing his intentions any justice. 

I think people are just trying to avoid attributing to Yuzu something he didn't mean, especially since the Lutz issue is a controversial topic and no one wants to get Yuzu embroiled in controversy he didn't mean to get embroiled in. Of course, there is another line that supports the idea that Yuzu has concerns about pre-rotation too in the answer to the next question, but it's a bit weaker. It's also only one component of what he said though--it's clear he is unhappy with trends in the scoring of the sport in general, regardless of how his words about the lutz in particular should be interpreted. (Though he feels like his scores at SCI were a win for his vision of the sport, if only a minor one.)

 

I'm not very familiar with the conversations around what he said at CWW (I vaguely remember thinking what he said was ambiguous and hard to interpret, but being concerned for him in case the worst interpretations were true), but it's lame that people were bullying others because they understood his words differently. I don't think that's what's happening here, however. We're just trying to get his words right.

 

(also, mods, can this line of conversation be moved the the spoinichi thread?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 分, shanshaniさんが言いました:

Could it possibly mean it isn't suitable for him to jump the 4Lz that way? That seems like it would fit the context too (although, alas, it's significantly less spicy)

 

Sorry, I realized my translation above could be confusing! I should’ve said:

 

     It(=my method) might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

 

Meaning his way is too difficult for jumping a 4lz. Because he was talking about his lutz before this, and the word なかなか implies something is difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lily* said:

 

Sorry, I realized my translation above could be confusing! I should’ve said:

 

     It(=my method) might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

 

Meaning his way is too difficult for jumping a 4lz. Because he was talking about his lutz before this, and the word なかなか implies something is difficult.

 

wow, i guess it must be frustrating for him to still not be able to jump the 4Lz consistently/in competition while seeing so many up and coming skaters doing them left and right (and being rewarded for it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 分, yuzuangelさんが言いました:

 

wow, i guess it must be frustrating for him to still not be able to jump the 4Lz consistently/in competition while seeing so many up and coming skaters doing them left and right (and being rewarded for it)

 

I know, right? I mean there should be a reason why the 4lz has such a high base value. But like he says, maybe anyone can jump it if they want to (work on an "efficient way".)

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lily* said:

 

Sorry, I realized my translation above could be confusing! I should’ve said:

 

     It(=my method) might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

 

Meaning his way is too difficult for jumping a 4lz. Because he was talking about his lutz before this, and the word なかなか implies something is difficult.

thank you! that makes sense

 

29 minutes ago, monchan said:

PART 2:

 

This actually makes me feel slightly nauseous. The whole reason Yuzu is so magical is that he doesn't compromise on anything. The idea that he felt like he had to get rid of his transitions to win because judging is incompetent and doesn't reward it is just horrible. It would have deprived of us some of the most beautiful programs ever and clearly would have made him unhappy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lily* said:

 

Sorry, I realized my translation above could be confusing! I should’ve said:

 

     It(=my method) might not be the (suitable) way of jumping a lutz when going for a 4lz.

 

Meaning his way is too difficult for jumping a 4lz. Because he was talking about his lutz before this, and the word なかなか implies something is difficult.

 

Just checked with the Chinese translations, they've put it across this way too. 

 

It still amazes me today that Chinese-Japanese translations are usually 1000x less awkward than English lol. I can finish reading the article as if he's conversing in Chinese himself, and the meaning captured is still pretty accurate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ngl, it's frustrating for us too...when nowadays even ladies skaters are jumping 4Lzes while Yuzu seems to struggle with it so much so that every time he tries we hold our breath in fear of an injury...it's too bad he can't change his technique (and it seems like it's not just out of pride but also inability). But even if the judges don't appreciate it, it's not for naught because the beauty of his jumps and technique is one of the many reasons we love him so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Salior said:

 

Just checked with the Chinese translations, they've put it across this way too. 

 

It still amazes me today that Chinese-Japanese translations are usually 1000x less awkward than English lol. I can finish reading the article as if he's conversing in Chinese himself, and the meaning captured is still pretty accurate. 

do you have a link?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Ngl, it's frustrating for us too...when nowadays even ladies skaters are jumping 4Lzes while Yuzu seems to struggle with it so much so that every time he tries we hold our breath in fear of an injury...it's too bad he can't change his technique (and it seems like it's not just out of pride but also inability). But even if the judges don't appreciate it, it's not for naught because the beauty of his jumps and technique is one of the many reasons we love him so much.

 

Throughout all the hype with the girls I used to think about how he would feel too... Guess I wasn't too far off the mark, he is human after all. 

 

Hope he will prevail one day. At least he's not a girl and competing with the ladies lol. I pity Rika and the other skaters though

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 12:55 AM, shanshani said:

do you have a link?

 

 

I love the "在下面边转边跳“ (literally "rotate while jumping down there") lmao, can't stop laughing when I read it. This boy is so sarcastic! What a great euphemism for pre-rotation

 

The sentence in question was translated as "或许用我跳 Lz 的方法去跳 4Lz 的话不太适合“, which is exactly as Lily translated

 

From Chinese I'd put it across this way "Maybe my Lz technique isn’t optimal for 4Lz"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Salior said:

 

Throughout all the hype with the girls I used to think about how he would feel too... Guess I wasn't too far off the mark, he is human after all. 

 

Hope he will prevail one day. At least he's not a girl and competing with the ladies lol. I pity Rika and the other skaters though

While it’s a lot worse for the women, it’s no easy ride for the men with good but risky and difficult to execute 4Ltz like Boyang and Kolyada and Yuzuru, when pre and under rotated jumps without either the wow or the risk factor get good results because of ballet ankles or intense expressions.  ( not talking about Nathan - his is as far as I can see fully rotated- a fast rotation, with less height and length seems to make his efficient and consistent, probably because it’s less risky.  IMO it also makes it less impressive to watch than Boyang nearly jumping out of the rink.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • WinForPooh changed the title to Oct. 28, 2019 Yuzuru Hanyu Sponichi Interview 😎

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...