Comparison videos and articles

20 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

LOL, spread eagle entry into tiny wonky "quad".

Tbh, I giggled a little at those gifs. Part of me thinks, "this must be sarcastic.  how can this person possibly think this is good?" but then I realized that these are actually the best examples of Nathan's spread eagles .  I personally find the "balletic" spread eagles funnier - essentially just simple 2 foot turns done the exact same way no matter what the music.  I'd really like to see Nathan try to emulate even the worst of the other examples.

20 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

I am entirely bored by spread eagles at this point. I have liked Boitano's and Kozuka's, Cassar's was good. That's pretty much it for me.

I still like them when used to create a moment but men's skating seems to be saturated by mediocre ones used as program filler so skaters can pretend they're artistic.

56 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I personally find the "balletic" spread eagles funnier - essentially just simple 2 foot turns done the exact same way no matter what the music.

I guess they're balletic because the knees are straight, never mind the edge and the gangly quality of his body during the move. I'm entirely bored by them. In the entry, he lets his arms flop -- they're a reason why I refuse to call jumps with transitions in front of them "not telegraphed" because you can always tell.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:21 AM, Old Cat Lady said:

Maxim Belyavsky

Max Aaron

Artur Dmitriev Jr

There's 2 different attempts on this video

the 5t -- is it me or i cant see where he picked? that look like an almost full blade assistance with at least 180 degrees prerotatation? im not very good at this so can someone help me out here.

ETA: i see in the comment sections, people are saying it's just 4.5 rotations and some said it could be an axe.l but i dont think someone who can do a quad can necessarily do a triple axel. they're two different jumps. 

it actually makes me think if yuzu can land a quad axel, other skaters will start doing quints. 

That's past 180 degrees PR (close to 270 from what I can tell from IG vids in that angle usually), and landed short. So it's a "quint".

I lack a point of reference for quints, but that looks too small for one. He might rotate one enough when he's small (and on harness) but not when he's grown with that height.

And no that's not a toe axel. I hope the misinformation about pre rotated toe loops being toe axels ends.

5 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

And no that's not a toe axel. I hope the misinformation about pre rotated toe loops being toe axels ends.

Is a toe axel an actual different thing?  I thought it was just short hand for "exceptionally crappy pre-rotated toe loop".  Or are you just objecting to use of the slang?

On 4/26/2019 at 12:09 PM, makebelieveup said:

the 5t -- is it me or i cant see where he picked? that look like an almost full blade assistance with at least 90 degrees prerotatation? im not very good at this so can someone help me out here.

it actually makes me think if yuzu can land a quad axel, other skaters will start doing quints. 

yes, it doesn't look like he's really picking and he's taking off forward, but we've seen elite skaters get credit for take offs just as bad.  I'm more confused about why they're even working on this unless the kid already has all the quads.  The cynical part of me thinks that the harness guy is doing the majority of the work and this was just staged for publicity.  Of course, I would say the same about most of these attempts, excluding Dmitriev only because he's not on a harness.  But, c'mon, does anyone actually believe for a second that he'll ever rotate and land it?

also, I don't think quints are happening any time soon unless there's a major innovation in technology.  Inspiration can go only so far.

btw, I added Camden Pulkinen's attempt to the original 4axel post.  Not sure how much of his jump problems are in his head vs in his technique, but it seems that a skater who is actually trying to make a career out of skating should be utilizing their precious ice time for stabilizing their regular jumps first.  Dmitriev doesn't have much to lose since he's likely never going to medal in nationals or grand prix event anyway so this is his only chance at a claim to fame.  But then again, I don't see Pulkinen ever being a contender on the world stage anyway.