Remembering Denis Ten

Guest turquoiseblue

Denis Ten's murder: 13 police officers punished, 2 dismissed in Almaty

2 chief police officers were released from their posts and 13 employees of the Almaty department of interior affairs were brought to strict disciplinary responsibility following the official investigation launched after the murder of skater Denis Ten, police said.

Ten was stabbed in the thigh on 19 July 2018 in Almaty by two carjackers who were attempting to steal his car mirrors. After being stabbed, Ten lost about 3 liters of blood and died from the severe blood loss at a hospital in Almaty 3 hours after being admitted. The two suspects—both male, one aged 23 and the other 24 years old—were apprehended the next day and may face up to life imprisonment.

His murder sparked a nation-wide outrage and sorrow with many people demanding to revisit law enforcement system in the Central Asian country.

Guest turquoiseblue

Late Kazakh composer, figure skater inspire underground art

The memory of Olympics bronze medalist Denis Ten was perpetuated in one of the underground passages of Almaty city, Kazinform correspondent reports.

As for the underground walkway located at the KazNU bus stop on Timiryazev Street, CCTV cameras are installed there. The artistic design is made in the 20th-21st century contemporary styles and reflects modern cultural achievements. Late Batyrkhan Shukenov, a composer and musician, and Denis Ten, Olympic bronze medalist figure skater, inspired the artists.

20180825145057.jpg

Guest turquoiseblue

Exhibition in memory of Denis Ten opened in Almaty

In Almaty, the exhibition devoted to Denis Ten under the name of D10 WORLD which presents photos from important sports events, a video project of his colleagues and friends, as well as his works was opened, BNews.kz correspondent reports. 

The exhibition is opened at Esentai Gallery. The idea to create the exhibition belongs to friend and relatives of Denis Ten, who during a month collected all material and works with the aim to present them to people. 

The exposition also includes the photos taken by Denis in addition to his photos. As his friends say, the expositions' main goal is to show the world through the eyes of the athlete, as well as to motivate people to do personal growth, as Denis Ten wished. 

One of the initiators of the idea is a friend of Denis - Gaukhar Omar. She got acquainted with Denis 4 years ago in the university. Both of them were interested in taking photos.

"The exhibition was initiated by Denis Ten's Fund, by his friends and relatives. While thinking over a future idea and concept, we considered how Denis Ten would like the exhibition to look like. We wished to make it beautiful, innovative, stylish, so that it reflects his personality. We also included his sports achievements. They are the photos that are reflected in a blue-colour zone, because it is blue which is the colour of strength and energy. Here, one can also see the photos taken by Denis Ten," said Gaukhar Omar.

According to his friends, taking photos was more than just a passion for Denis. He fully devoted himself to each work and perform them professionally. 

773c9a87888ea44655e60f28659dd585.jpg

31bc8775147c740c8b6b7877d49e9e33.jpg

469c1e527f586bc464ba42c1fadef7cd.jpg

Credit: Marzhan Bitkenbayeva

Guest turquoiseblue

Russia’s Sergei Voronov: ‘I choose to skate’ 

The ISU Grand Prix Finalist of the past season also looked for new choreographers to mount his programs, and at the end of May, went to Kazakhstan to work with Denis Ten.

“This was a spontaneous decision,” recalled Voronov. “I had to mount a free program and I was looking for something new and different. I was just going through Instagram and I saw often the stories that Denis published. And then I just thought, ‘Why not write to Denis?'”

He got into touch with Ten, who was surprised that Voronov asked him to help him with the program. “He said, ‘I can mess up everything’ to which I said openly and without any doubt, ‘No, Denis, you are not messing up’. I did not sweet-talk. I was very convinced of Denis.”

Voronov already had a piece of music in mind when the travelled to Kazakhstan, but Ten suggested that he use “Way Down We Go” by Kaleo.

“I suggested another option, but he convinced me and I am grateful, again, and to my deep regret I cannot write to him now or call him and tell him, ‘Denis, you were right,'” said Voronov. “We had an interesting, creative discussion. I gave in and now I understand how right that was. He did the music. Everything was done to his taste. I couldn’t dream of anyone better to have done my program.”

Obviously, after the tragic death of Denis Ten on July 19, this program has special meaning.

“Honestly, now, when I am skating this program, there are a lot of thoughts,” Voronov explained. “First of all, the music — there are some certain lyrics, when you understand them, (you realize) there is some kind of fate in life. I am just thankful to fate that it brought me to Denis and that I had the chance to work with him.”

Voronov is apparently the only top-level skater Ten choreographed a program for. “Unfortunately, he only was able to do it for me,” the two-time Russian Champion pointed out.

“Probably, what I want most of all, is that the figure skating world, and not only the figure skating world, but wherever I perform, can see how talented and versatile Denis was,” he continued. “He was not only a well-known and successful athlete, but also a choreographer. He was a person with taste and his own qualities, with a highly developed intellect, which is, believe me, not unimportant in our sport. I think, and again I’m not flattering, I looked up to him and now I’m watching his performances often, because there is a lot to learn from him.”