[Video] 2014/04/?? Asahi(?) Interview w/S.Matsuoka

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is another post-Sochi (post-WC 2014, to be more precise) one that I'm pretty positive by now there are already existing translations and/or subs floating around of (if you know where the hard subs are, feel free to share 'em in this thread ^^) but which I did immediately after the Ueda  one when I first fell into this fan...dom? Is this the right word to call it?

Anyway, the original YouTube video I used for this has since been taken down/made private and this is the only other one I could find. It's without the first 20 seconds or so and some of the narration have been edited out but as you can see, they don't contain anything too important.

Also, as you can tell from the thread title, I don't know the exact date this happened (only that it was some time right after 2014 Worlds), and I'm only assuming this is for Asahi because that's the station I think Matsuoka is attached to.

2014/04/?? Asahi(?) Interview w/S.Matsuoka

Matsuoka:

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: Congratulations on your recent clean sweep of victories!

Hanyu:

Thank you :)

[Video starts here]

M:

For the Yuzuru Hanyu to put out his absolute best performance, what kind of mentality must he have?

H:

(One that's fond of) adversity, definitely. The tougher the challenge, the more I feel the burning desire to win.

M:

It’s actually pretty common for champions to feel incredibly burdened by their gold medals. Some are even driven to the point where they buckle under the pressure and wish their victory had never happened. But you, you look like you’re handling it all just fine.

H:

I feel it, too, actually. But then again, that pressure is all part and parcel of the adversity I thrive in. The other skaters who are chasing after to beat me in competition, they don’t feel the same kind of burden as much. In my case, I’m the only one who came back with a gold medal so I’m pretty much standing up against the wall of pressure alone. But, at the end of the day, that’s just another challenge that I need to overcome. This time is no different. When I saw how well Tatsuki (Machida) performed in both his short and long programs, I knew I was in trouble. It's the whole dreaded pattern and I'm living it.

Nar (removed from this video):

After the end of the SP, Machida came out on top of with a seven-point lead. With more pressure going into the LP, the biggest challenge for Hanyu then was the 4S right at the start. He has yet to be able to land it this season, failing five times in a row so far.

M:

You mentioned that the 4S is an absolute must but I also heard that Brian (Orser) had advised you to switch it out with a 4T and you refused to listen.

H:

Truth be told, I wasn't able to nail the 4S all throughout the season prior to the Olympics. Because of this, Brian suggested that I play it safe and switch the 4S out with the 4T for the Games. And he's right. Switching out the tech and going with two 4Ts would’ve been easier and I would’ve been able to deliver a way more consistent program. But if I’d done that, there would’ve been absolutely no way I would’ve been able to make as much progress in the following seasons all the way to the next Olympics. I didn’t want to be held back here. I wasn’t gonna budge for anything or anybody.

M:

Funny how that is, what with your name “Yuzuru” sounding like you would and all...

H:

Nope. Just call me Yuzuranai.

(Note: Yuzuru [譲る] = give way, yield; yuzuranai is the negative of yuzuru)

M:

The stakes were much higher this time though...

H:

It was a risky move, yes, but we humans are known to perform miracles when driven into a corner. We’re able to better focus (when we have more to lose, is what I think). To me, a challenge is basically a tool that helps me stay focused.

Nar :

And here’s the LP.
And here’s the Salchow right at the start.
He’s finally nailed it!
And he goes on to land all the jumps he wasn't able to at the Olympics one after another.
And with this performance, Hanyu manages to reverse the scores to take home the gold.

H:

The SP was fine at the Games but the LP was killing me inside. Remember right after the Games when I was saying in interviews how I wanted to practice my 4S?

M:

Yeah, you were.

H:

Well, I did it like there was no tomorrow.

M:

After the Olympics?

H:

Yeah. I think I practiced the LP about 1.5 times harder than I did before.

M:

This might sound incredibly rude but here you are, an Olympic gold medalist. Yet you don’t really feel like one…?

H:

Yeah, something like that. I don't think I seem like an Olympic champion. More than that, I don’t want to feel like I am already one.

M:

Mind sharing why not?

H:

My ideal image of a gold medalist is someone who is much stronger, and that someone isn’t who I am right now. Not yet. Sure, I won all these medals you see here but to me, a gold medalist isn’t simply someone who’s got some bling to show off. To me, a gold medalist is someone who had the tenacity and was good enough to really deserve the gold. And that’s who I’m aiming to be.

M:

Touching upon the future now, we all know that you're currently able to jump two different kinds of quads with ease. Have you ever given any thought into increasing your repertoire perhaps?

H:

Absolutely. I've been putting in a lot of practice into some new ones, a couple which I'm able to complete the rotations of.

M:

Are you able to land the 4Z now?

H:

I haven't been able to land it yet per se, but I'm able to complete all the rotations.

M:

And how far are you along with the 4A?

H:

That one is only at about 75% at the moment. Since I'm the one who ended up with the medal, I thought it'd be wise to aim higher. One of my dreams is to become an athlete strong enough to never lose to others. In my opinion, athletes exist to push the boundaries. Just like you, Shuzo-san, when you've given it your absolute all in a match and just lay there on the ground exhausted.

M:

I was only seeded at 46 then. You're world #1. Those are two very different things, (in case you hadn't noticed).

H:

Lol! But win or lose, you know you've thrown in everything including the kitchen sink. You've given everything and that's it.

M:

From what I've heard during this Olympics, you seem to have some lingering regrets. What kind of stance will you be taking this next four years?

H:

It's true that I've got lots of regrets with this Olympics, but there will never be a single competition that I won't feel any regret over. Regardless of the scores I get, or the kind of skating I do, I'll always, always feel some kind of regret. Still, I look forward to experiencing each and every one of them these next four years.

M:

When you put it like that, four years don't seem like a very long time at all. How old will you be then? 23?

H:

Yep, 23.

M:

And after that?

H:

After Pyeongchang, it's 50-50.

H & M:

LoL!!

-FIN-

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 5:22 AM, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

This is another post-Sochi (post-WC 2014, to be more precise) one that I'm pretty positive by now there are already existing translations and/or subs floating around of (if you know where the hard subs are, feel free to share 'em in this thread ^^) but which I did immediately after the Ueda  one when I first fell into this fan...dom? Is this the right word to call it?

Anyway, the original YouTube video I used for this has since been taken down/made private and this is the only other one I could find. It's without the first 20 seconds or so and some of the narration have been edited out but as you can see, they don't contain anything too important.

Also, as you can tell from the thread title, I don't know the exact date this happened (only that it was some time right after 2014 Worlds), and I'm only assuming this is for Asahi because that's the station I think Matsuoka is attached to.

Thanks for the translation!

75% along the 4A :slinkaway: I guess technically that's a 3A.

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I love Matsuoka's interviewing of Yuzuru - he really manages to engage Yuzu so well, and he asks intelligent questions which elicit interesting and intelligent answers from Yuzuru......and they always seem to be having a very natural conversation when they are together!  God I so hope Yuzu wins gold in Pyeongchang - he has never felt he deserved the Olympic Title in 2014, of course he did deserve it, and he definitely deserves it now, he is such a fantastic, mature, powerful, sensitive, artistic, emotional, skilled, musical, and gifted skater and I do not know many people who disagree with the view that he is the best skater in the world currently, and maybe the best ever (of course as far as I am  concerned there is no "maybe" in the latter part of that sentence!!).  :0006: