Skating on the Planet

I used to have RF3s (or were they RF1s? I don't remember...I think they might be RF3s...) before I lost them :doh:

And they had a long break in period. I lost them near the end of the break in period too so they were still really new. 

The break in period was hella painful too. 

I'd say that they're quite decently stiff and will take you up to an axel in jumps...however, as an adult I agree that we can totally just splurge on higher boots because we weigh more and we're no longer growing...(*loves my royales*(

Royales had no break in period for me because there was supposedly some new technology. Some special padding/foam inside the boot that molded easily to your feet while still providing enough structure or something. I don't know if the new RF3s have it (or what it even is...) but I really appreciated that after having just nearly broken in my RF3s before losing them :arrow-head-smiley-face:

I don't think I'm going to wear out my Royales in a longgg time...maybe like 5 years lol. They're not new but every bit as stiff as they were! Buttttttt I'm already thinking about what boots I'll get next when I do! :P Harlicks? hehehehe

Looking at the different types of Royals, now they seem to have different types now.

https://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Risport-Royal-Pro-Womens-Figure-Skating-Boots-RisportRoyalPro.htm

This one is only rated for singles and has a stiffness of 65. 

http://www.risport.com/ice-collection/royalexclusive

http://www.risport.com/ice-collection/royalelite

These have a stiffness of 90, which I'm guessing is stiff enough for triples. 

(just fyi don't buy the wrong one!!)

12 hours ago, robin said:

How‘s your axel doing? Have you landed it? I imagine it’s a painful struggle 

...I only got a coach this spring, and it's still not even stable. Coach is knocking me back to basic SS before I go jump-happy. >_<

So it'll be a while before I'm allowed to go for axels. She wants everything nice, good and stable, all forward spin and back spin positions started or completed before she allows me near an axel. Something like a 1.8 m distance waltz jump before she gives me the greenlight. >_>

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

today i took a beginner ballet class and the teacher taught us how to spot when we do turns

and she was like "figure skaters don't spot...i don't know how they do it"

and i was like good question :lol: (tbh spotting makes me dizzier...probably just need to get used to it though)

I think you get used to it? If I don't practice spins for a while, I also get dizzy when I start doing fast spins again. Hmm...other than that, maybe control your breathing? Actually I get dizzier turning on land than on ice, if that makes any sense. >_>

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

today i took a beginner ballet class and the teacher taught us how to spot when we do turns

and she was like "figure skaters don't spot...i don't know how they do it"

and i was like good question :lol: (tbh spotting makes me dizzier...probably just need to get used to it though)

LOL I just don’t spot in ballet class, it confuses me. 

4 hours ago, Xen said:

...I only got a coach this spring, and it's still not even stable. Coach is knocking me back to basic SS before I go jump-happy. >_<

So it'll be a while before I'm allowed to go for axels. She wants everything nice, good and stable, all forward spin and back spin positions started or completed before she allows me near an axel. Something like a 1.8 m distance waltz jump before she gives me the greenlight. >_>

I think you get used to it? If I don't practice spins for a while, I also get dizzy when I start doing fast spins again. Hmm...other than that, maybe control your breathing? Actually I get dizzier turning on land than on ice, if that makes any sense. >_>

1.8 m......... But it sounds like you have a great coach. (Back when I was taking group lessons I basically had to beg to be corrected.)

17 hours ago, Xen said:

Yeah, I was like if the spin is centered, it's not that bad...(I agree I get dizzier turning on land.)

I know some people have tricks like stare at one point on the wall or something. But I'm pretty used to spinning now that I don't get dizzy unless I spin for like an hour (then I get slightly dizzy) or the spin is really shitty and not centered haha.

1.8 m distance sounds like a lot! And isn't it more about height than distance anyway? Distance is more of a function of how fast you're going...height gives you time to rotate? Anyway I was curious so I pretty roughly measured my waltz jump and I think mine is about 1 m. 

Today I worked on toe loops with my coach and we started from the basics again to redo the entry and the jump which I need to commit to muscle memory. I feel like I've started from the basics (for the toe loop) so many times lol and toe loops are just super difficult!!! My problem is pre-rotating a lot -- not on my toe pick, which is fine for a toe loop, although obviously less is better -- but on my *other* foot while it's still on the ice. 

But hopefully one day it will be worth it because single toe loops are very pretty!~

(Yuzu's left foot leaves the ice while still pointing fowards. Mine rotates 90 degrees before leaving the ice.)

I wonder if we could politely let it out into the universe that one day Yuzu will do a quick demo of every single jump in figure skating. I think the only ones we've seen are 1T, 1Lz and a delayed 1A. I don't recall seeing 1S, 1F or 1Lo? 

For reference of course!

@yuzuangel:

Hmm, well if I hit a certain distance I can get a certain height, so I just check distance instead since I can't always feel height when I'm jumping (minus the flip jumps,  those I can kind of feel if I have enough height, simply because if i don't I will UR and fall. XD).  For most of my other jumps, I can't feel if I have enough height and have to rely on other people to tell me. I don't PR a lot on my toe jumps (and coach gets mad if I PR past 90), but right now my toe loop has a weird pause when I tap in, so coach is making me snap up a bit faster. Think it's because we're not used to using our left side as much to vault up into jumps, so syncing your upper body to the down-tap-and up leg motion feels unnatural (for me at least), and the timing is just thrown off. 

@Xen

On 4/3/2018 at 7:17 PM, robin said:

During the first Olys practice he did quite a few intended singles. I remember I took his flip that was aired on Japanese TV as a reference but I'm horrible at finding videos. (I have a clip that I recorded from by laptop screen on my phone lol)

eta: I found it (at 11:02)

There's a sal at 9:41 and 10:14 and a waltz jump out of back counter at 13:31. There's a lutz at 11:34 and a loop at 12:40 but they only filmed his feet

(Bonus: Tachida commenting on Yuzu)

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from the first time on the ice with my new babies <3

oh lordy, does the blade make a difference :surprised: it was like starting from zero for a bit!

for some reason backwards crossovers worked again almost immediately but simply skating forwards seemed impossible lol

30 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

I just came back from the first time on the ice with my new babies <3

oh lordy, does the blade make a difference :surprised: it was like starting from zero for a bit!

for some reason backwards crossovers worked again almost immediately but simply skating forwards seemed impossible lol

Glad the new boots are working out (it seems?), and your feet are hopefully adapting and getting comfy. Which blades if you don't mind me asking?  

On another note...anyone have advice on back spins? I'm in a weird point where I can get into a backspin fine, but I can't close my left leg in. It just will bend, but I can't get my left foot to cross over my right leg like a proper spin, it just kind of dangles in front of my right leg with a 1-3 inch distance.  

Also, does anyone know what else to use besides gel-pads for your heels and ankles? I feel like my heels are slipping in my boots, to the degree I can feel my heels kind of lift upwards when spinning. But using ankle sleeves tend to be too thick. >_<

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Glad the new boots are working out (it seems?), and your feet are hopefully adapting and getting comfy. Which blades if you don't mind me asking?  

Yes, they're working out for me (I'm really, really happy rn), it was just a lot to adjust to all at once at the start - especially since I hadn't been on the ice in 2 months :embSwan:

I've got the Coronation Ace Revolutions now :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

Went from a 10 1/4 Mirage to a 9 1/4 Coronation :crazyshit2:

13 hours ago, Xen said:

On another note...anyone have advice on back spins? I'm in a weird point where I can get into a backspin fine, but I can't close my left leg in. It just will bend, but I can't get my left foot to cross over my right leg like a proper spin, it just kind of dangles in front of my right leg with a 1-3 inch distance.  

Also, does anyone know what else to use besides gel-pads for your heels and ankles? I feel like my heels are slipping in my boots, to the degree I can feel my heels kind of lift upwards when spinning. But using ankle sleeves tend to be too thick. >_<

What happens when you bring your leg in?

And eeek do you need new boots then? How about thick socks?

36 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

What happens when you bring your leg in?

And eeek do you need new boots then? How about thick socks?

1) When I bring in my leg? Speed up a lot. But either a) lean backwards towards my heel and fall out, or b) lean towards my inside edge (I find spinning on my right back inside edge super easy...). But nowadays, if I bring my leg in and just dangle it, I can spin on a shallow RBO edge, which I guess is what I'm suppose to do. I do wonder what the cause is, my coach says that she figures it's either because I'm scared of the speed boost, or I don't have the leg muscles to get the job done yet.

2) I'm debating that. The last time I went to buy boots, I originally had 220 size boots, but had issues with my right foot-it was too tight so when I landed jumps my toe got hammered (to the degree my right toe nail was turning purple due to pressure). So I moved up to 225 size, but that also means the heel is wider. Actually RF series heels don't seem to fit me-edea heels fit a bit better, but the toe box and arch part is too tight (supposedly I have thick toes). Hence why I was asking about Royals, because that might be my next pair-boot fitter says the seem to be split width, and the material is more "modeable" than RF series. For now, I just put in an order for a set of gel heel-sleeves, and a pair of nylon ankle and heel sleeves. Wish me luck, they might do the trick, as the ankles are fine, I just need a bit more volume to hold my heels in place.

I truly wonder how skaters can fall so often while going so fast and not get hurt most of the time. Falling on a jump is alright because you're kinda expecting it (and at least at my level you aren't skating very fast) but falling on steps/crossovers when you're going a bit faster? Lol I still feel some pain if you put pressure in the wrong place from like last year when I fell on my elbows :embSwan:I was told to ice it but I'm lazy.

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I truly wonder how skaters can fall so often while going so fast and not get hurt most of the time. Falling on a jump is alright because you're kinda expecting it (and at least at my level you aren't skating very fast) but falling on steps/crossovers when you're going a bit faster? Lol I still feel some pain if you put pressure in the wrong place from like last year when I fell on my elbows :embSwan:I was told to ice it but I'm lazy.

I think it's less that they don't get hurt and more that they learn to shrug off the pain and get on with the performance