Japanese study group

Hydroblade

2 分ぐらい, Murieleirum said:

It was not satire!!! I was extremely serious. 

It's very important to me to practice my comprehension, and translate everything I read. It helps me to remember kanjis, vocabulary, grammar forms, and so on. 

I was much relieved to hear this.  Thank you so much!!

3 minutes ago, sister555 said:

Oh, I've just thought up a very good idea!

Everyone (those who are interested), watch episode 1 of "Quartet" as much as you like and write your comment after seeing the first episode.

Link:  http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/download/file.php?id=91253

This is a good idea! I think I might find time to watch it today :winky:

2 hours ago, sister555 said:

Just for your info, "Quartet" has Spanish subtitles as well.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163054

Which is best suited for you, Hydro!  (^_-)-☆

Thank you :) but I actually watch everything subtitled in English. I often don't like Spanish translations because they're either using European Spanish, are full of weird regional slang or are just... Wrong :P but thank you anyway.

About the challenge thing, none of you should feel obliged to work on it, as someone taking the challenge or at someone correcting. And I wasnt thinking about thorough explanations about why the answer is wrong, somethingggg more about the lines of lang8. 

The point is to help ourselves overcome the barrier of expressing or feelings about a topic and bringing the opportunity to practice to those who can't find opportunities to speak, a way to practice and improve pronunciation. I don't think all of us are going to participate every week precisely because of the level difference

For me, finding a subject for reading challenge would not be much problem, but correcting everyone’s answer with explanations in English would be a big problem. I would have to ask for your help in English Study group thread like, “Hi, I’d like to comment on your answer in Japanese Study group thread but I don’t know how to explain this in English. Would you help me?” It would be わけがわからない…:59227c768286a__s::rofl:

(Now I doubt if I can analyze a sentence grammatically even in Japanese)

:offtopic:Has any of you here tried lang-8?  I tried it last summer and it was fun. Even if you don’t know a Japanese character, you can write Nihon-go in Roma-ji and get feedback from Japanese speakers. You can also correct their text in exchange if you are good at using their target languages. I haven’t been posting in lang-8 since October due to lack of time, but I still think it is useful to see how much you can communicate with your current language skill. (I was planning on going back to lang-8 once the season was over, but the beginning of this off-season was :titanic: and :spacealien:  then :tumblr_inline_mg16hfnAAr1qdlkyg:)

ETA: Oh Hydro already mentioned lang-8 above

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

For me, finding a subject for reading challenge would not be much problem, but correcting everyone’s answer with explanations in English would be a big problem. I would have to ask for your help in English Study group thread like, “Hi, I’d like to comment on your answer in Japanese Study group thread but I don’t know how to explain this in English. Would you help me?” It would be わけがわからない…:59227c768286a__s::rofl:

(Now I doubt if I can analyze a sentence grammatically even in Japanese)

:offtopic:Has any of you here tried lang-8?  I tried it last summer and it was fun. Even if you don’t know a Japanese character, you can write Nihon-go in Roma-ji and get feedback from Japanese speakers. You can also correct their text in exchange if you are good at using their target languages. I haven’t been posting in lang-8 since October due to lack of time, but I still think it is useful to see how much you can communicate with your current language skill. (I was planning on going back to lang-8 once the season was over, but the beginning of this off-season was :titanic: and :spacealien:  then :tumblr_inline_mg16hfnAAr1qdlkyg:)

ETA: Oh Hydro already mentioned lang-8 above

My idea is, rather than a formal explanation, just corrections like,  changing the particles, verb endings and such. I know that as a native is hard to explain why this thing is said like this or like this other way so i am not trying to make this free japanese lessons but a community driven practice :) An aid to develop the "feeling" of the language when we are the ones talking :D 

5 hours ago, sister555 said:

Note:  Originally ぜんぜん was used in negative form.  But recently youngsters (especially teenagers) tend to use it also in positive form, such asぜんぜんOK.

But I don't recommend Japanese learners to use this "positive"ぜんぜん at all.

In fact this is not used in written (or formal) Japanese, and middle-aged or older Japanese don't like this type of usage. :)

I'd like to add something to this.

よくis often used for negatives too :D

It is grammatically incorrect but so many people use it, that you're bound to hear it/read it at some point. The most common one i've found is 「よくわからない」. Formally, よく should only be used with positive verb-endings or adjective conjugations but yeah... You will find that it isn't always the case haha

If people are still willing to do the learner community challenge, I'm all for it. This being (almost) the summer holiday period, maybe 14-day intervals would be better instead of weekly challenges? And first of all, I'd like to know how many students would actually be interested in participating, or have time for it. I would for sure. Now, I agree with Hydro, we can't overwhelm the native speakers. If it came to creative writing, any student here could correct me, no need for me to bother the native speakers: I'm still at 'disjointed words' level and only know the '[xxx] wa [xxx] desu / ka' sentence type. I can't even say 'I love figure skating' at this point, lol, though I am sure it has something to do with 'suki desu'. I am all for fellow students correcting what the lower level students write, and if an actual explanation is needed, then one can always ask here. Just my 2c.

1 時間前, Hydroblade said:

Thank you :) but I actually watch everything subtitled in English. I often don't like Spanish translations because they're either using European Spanish, are full of weird regional slang or are just... Wrong :P but thank you anyway.

Oops ... I seem to hear often "Thank you but, ... but thank you anyway" (with a sticking tongue) from you.  (sobs)

But it's quite interesting to know about the difference between Spanish Spanish and South American Spanish, especially the part you say "Wrong" (with a capital W!)

Because perhaps there is nothing Wrong in the Spanish subtitles, but you feel completely wrong in your heart.

The appropriate Japanese expression for this "Wrong" would perhaps be 「なんか違う」.

Then you can watch "Quartet" with English subtitles, right?  (^_-)-☆

(It'd be such a shape for a language monster not to watch it!)

Just now, sister555 said:

Oops ... I seem to hear often "Thank you but, ... but thank you anyway" (with a sticking tongue) from you.  (sobs)

But it's quite interesting to know about the difference between Spanish Spanish and South American Spanish, especially the part you say "Wrong" (with a capital W!)

Because perhaps there is nothing Wrong in the Spanish subtitles, but you feel completely wrong in your heart.

The appropriate Japanese expression for this "Wrong" would perhaps be 「なんか違う」.

Then you can watch "Quartet" with English subtitles, right?  (^_-)-☆

(It'd be such a shape for a language monster not to watch it!)

My spanish is mexican spanish, which is a latin american variation (Mexico is actually in North America :P Our southern neighbors are Central America (the little strip that connects us with the southern part of the continent, and after that comes South America :))

And i used a capital W because the word came after ellipsis and if you want to emphasize the word after ellipsis you capitalize it. In this case the emphasis is because the subtitles aren't bad but i don't like the way some sentences are translated into spanish, they sound too weird :sadPooh:

I'm actually watching a cheesy drama right now (no, it has nothing to do with Tomohisa Yamashita appearing on it...:slinkaway:) and i LOVE it :rofl:it seems like the more weird the plot is, the more i like them :rofl: 

The fact that japanese drama is completely different from mexican over dramatic telenovelas is the main reason why i'm drawn to them :rofl: (NEVER watch telenovelas. They are terrible, terrible!!)

5 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

My spanish is mexican spanish, which is a latin american variation (Mexico is actually in North America :P Our southern neighbors are Central America (the little strip that connects us with the southern part of the continent, and after that comes South America :))

And i used a capital W because the word came after ellipsis and if you want to emphasize the word after ellipsis you capitalize it. In this case the emphasis is because the subtitles aren't bad but i don't like the way some sentences are translated into spanish, they sound too weird :sadPooh:

Aha!  That's what I've been talking about!  It is "Wrong" in your heart!

I'm actually watching a cheesy drama right now (no, it has nothing to do with Tomohisa Yamashita appearing on it...:slinkaway:) and i LOVE it :rofl:it seems like the more weird the plot is, the more i like them :rofl: 

The fact that japanese drama is completely different from mexican over dramatic telenovelas is the main reason why i'm drawn to them :rofl: (NEVER watch telenovelas. They are terrible, terrible!!)

I've never heard of telenovelas, tell me about it!

But perhaps "Quartet" is the Opposite of telenovelas.

At the same time, "Quartet" is not a cheesy drama.

It is a drama with an extremely good text played by four extremely good actors/actresses.

Trust me, you really should watch "Quartet", which is full of witty conversation, and often with deep insight into each character's heart.  Watch it! ぜひ見てみて!!

Just now, sister555 said:

Aha!  That's what I've been talking about!  It is "Wrong" in your heart!

I've never heard of telenovelas, tell me about it!

But perhaps "Quartet" is the Opposite of telenovelas.

At the same time, "Quartet" is not a cheesy drama.

It is a drama with an extremely good text played by four extremely good actors/actresses.

Trust me, you really should watch "Quartet", which is full of witty conversation, and often with deep insight into each character's heart.  Watch it! ぜひ見てみて!!

It's not wrong but it sounds too unnatural. Because often, spanish subtitles for anime and dramas are made by translating english subtitles. So it ends up really weird!

No, you don't want to know about telenovelas. They are bad :rofl:lots of countries import our telenovelas but really, their representation of mexican society and culture is whimsical, for lack of a better word. I'm not going to get into why they are bad, it's one of the parts of mexican culture that makes me cringe and a part that i really hate.

45 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

I'd like to add something to this.

よくis often used for negatives too :D

It is grammatically incorrect but so many people use it, that you're bound to hear it/read it at some point. The most common one i've found is 「よくわからない」. Formally, よく should only be used with positive verb-endings or adjective conjugations but yeah... You will find that it isn't always the case haha

Hmm.  Japanese 「よく」 is very hard to explain.

First of all, よく in よくわからない is adverb(副詞), which should be differentiated from adjective(形容詞).

And I personally have no feelings that 「よく」must come with positive format, and I wonder how it is taught in Japanese language schools.

Ref.  https://ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/よく

You might notice there are as many as 9 definitions only as adverb.

And I think よく in よくわからない is no. 1-4. (様態)

This is very similar to English "very" or "so".

I like it so much.

I don't like it so much.

From goo dictionary:  https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/227079/meaning/m0u/よく/

(goo dictionary is quite a good dictionary.  Its data is taken from the famous 大辞泉).

5 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

It's not wrong but it sounds too unnatural. Because often, spanish subtitles for anime and dramas are made by translating english subtitles. So it ends up really weird!

Now I know so well!  Because currently I'm translating an English agreement which is full of typos translated from traditional Chinese.

5 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

No, you don't want to know about telenovelas. They are bad :rofl:lots of countries import our telenovelas but really, their representation of mexican society and culture is whimsical, for lack of a better word. I'm not going to get into why they are bad, it's one of the parts of mexican culture that makes me cringe and a part that i really hate.

whimisical?  I might need another explanation.