Let's make this Worlds special for sick children who don't even know Yuzuru

Dear Yuzuru fans,

I am a 50 year old mom who likes figure skating and is a Yuzuru fan. I am very new to this planet (3 weeks now) but I am already fascinated of this young man's talents and amazing journey in life. 

As you know, after every Yuzuru performance the rink is covered with Poohs and they are donated to children in the city/country where the competition is held. However, this year it will not be possible to do so and being a mother myself, I think this is a big shame. As you know, this year's Worlds will be held in Stockholm very soon (22-28 March) and I thought that we can change this sad fact into good news for children: my suggestion is to start a donation campaign for Children's Hospital in Stockholm. This way children will still be helped, the hospital can provide toys for children and say that they are coming from a great atheletes' fans. 

If this sounds like a good idea and you support it, I will then contact the hospital to learn how we can donate. 

What do you say? Are you in? Can Planet Hanyu make a difference? 

Love and hugs

Senem Gencer 

Welcome, @senemgencer

Do you have an idea of an organisation for this donation campaign? Do you have a contact with a Stockholm children's hospital?

There is for instance the Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital, depending from the Karolinska University Hospital, the main research hospital of the country, though I don't know if they have many patients in long stays etc, or a social service to donate to, etc. Here is their page in English for international inpatient referral :

https://www.karolinska.se/en/karolinska-university-hospital/medical-areas/pediatric/

And here is a good free automatic translator from Swedish to English (not good at all the other way though) :

https://www.systransoft.com/lp/swedish-english-translation/

12 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Thank you SitTwizzle. I have contacted them and I guess it is a better option. I have their Foundation's contacts and bank account details for donations. I am waiting for a final confirmation. To answer your question further: I have no connection with Sweden or with this hospital or any other. I am a turkish woman living in Zurich :) It was an idea that came to my mind yesterday and I wanted to do something immediately. I did not have much time to make a comprehensive research about where would be the best address. Wish I could think of it earlier. I will post everything once I get confirmation from Astrid Lindgren Children's Hospital Foundation. 

20 minutes ago, senemgencer said:

Thank you!

If there's a foundation with a bank account, it's really great! Though one may try to limit bank transfer/exchange rate costs by using services like TransferWise rather than direct bank transfer, for those who don't have a Swedish account.

Is it possible to send a message with donations? So that we may find a common message to identify the donation flow from Yuzuru Hanyu's fans?

Yuzuru Hanyu seems to have many Turkish fans, and also many Swiss and Swiss resident fans. One very well known among the latter :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koshiro_Shimada

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Thank you!

If there's a foundation with a bank account, it's really great! Though one may try to limit bank transfer/exchange rate costs by using services like TransferWise rather than direct bank transfer, for those who don't have a Swedish account.

Is it possible to send a message with donations? So that we may find a common message to identify the donation flow from Yuzuru Hanyu's fans?

Yuzuru Hanyu seems to have many Turkish fans, and also many Swiss and Swiss resident fans. One very well known among the latter :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koshiro_Shimada

They say that a bank account must suffice. I am still trying to convince them to create a gofundme campaign, but without any luck. They don't allow me to do this either, they have strict rules of not linking anybody else's email to their bank affairs, which is very understandable. They are a foundation. 

Maybe they don't want to divert the money of dedicated personnel (if they don't have volunteers) to manage GoFundMe accounts, that's understandable.

Even more understandable that they should not accept external GoFundMe accounts.

There remains to see how we may send the message that we donate instead of sending the poohs which would be later donated by Yuzuru Hanyu.

A new branch of Hanyuconomy : Poohconomy.

13 hours ago, Umebachi said:

I see that you have managed to get the agreement from the Swedish children's hospital.  Perhaps you could share this website with others on PH?

https://yuzuru4children.blogspot.com/2021/03/let-pooh-sans-and-toys-rain-on.html?fbclid=IwAR1YDwBRPYCJmdeghAIGsm0mBqULyFdX3aXlZnuvMRPEElCcE6pyUCNI44I

Dear Umebachi

Thank you for your comment. Planet Hanyu shared this on Twitter as well.

Can you pls clarify what you mean by "Perhaps you could share this website with others on PH?", I am happy to do whatever is needed

Cheers

Senem 

13 hours ago, Umebachi said:

8 hours ago, senemgencer said:

Dear Umebachi

Thank you for your comment. Planet Hanyu shared this on Twitter as well.

Can you pls clarify what you mean by "Perhaps you could share this website with others on PH?", I am happy to do whatever is needed

Cheers

Senem 

I didn't see this being shared on this Forum.  Many people don't have twitter, for example.  Also, posting the link in the General Yuzu thread would probably give you more exposure. 

I looked at the hospital website, and it only provided their bank account details (IBAN number, etc).  I don't feel comfortable sending funds directly into their account, and this will also require making the transaction through my bank.  Can you ask whether they have another option, like PayPal, to make the donation?  Would you be able to find out?

Edit:  I saw in your previous response that the foundation is only able to give their bank account number, so I suppose they will not set up a PayPal option.  Anyway, thank you for your effort in reaching out to the hospital! 

Thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...

OMG! Can't believe it! 

I sent a press release to WC Press coordinator and he promised me to spread it. He told me that he would share it with the Japanese media representative in Stockholm, apparently he has done it!

What hope that this will bring more donations from Japan to our campaign. Then I will be very happy!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW. My non-existent Japanese wouldn't help :)

53 minutes ago, senemgencer said:

OMG! Can't believe it! 

I sent a press release to WC Press coordinator and he promised me to spread it. He told me that he would share it with the Japanese media representative in Stockholm, apparently he has done it!

What hope that this will bring more donations from Japan to our campaign. Then I will be very happy!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW. My non-existent Japanese wouldn't help :)

The article provides a very nice write up about your initiative!  The piece introduces you as a Swiss fan of Hanyu and how, as the mother of two daughters, you were saddened that the children in Sweden wouldn't have the chance to receive Winnie the Poohs after this WC and that's why you had initiated this campaign in February.  They provide the weblink to the campaign, so I hope the hospital will receive donations from the Japanese fans as well!  Thank you for all your efforts to make this happen!