General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Mary_kyo said:

So effortless. What a rare beauty these days 

Clouds I’m telling you. Like skating on clouds!

Or like one of my fav podcaster fav saying: Smooth like hot butter on ice (whatever that means lol - he was talking about the smoothness of fountain pens here) 

2 hours ago, Kat said:

As it is machine translated I say nothing on Mishin, but his experiment-imo-didnt fail. I think he got what he wanted in the sense of pushing the sport forward. After all, he tried it. So it's out there now, that real attempts are being made before a world stage, watch others follow suit now in their own time.

I just feel bad reading a machine translate of "fail" when it comes to Yuzuru lol😅

hi :animated-smileys-hello-22:

native russian speaker here.

the original says "не удался". it can be translated both as "fail" and "didn't work". interview is short, but in conjuction with Mishin's following "this does not diminish his input into history of figure skating" I'm willing to give Mishin a benefit of doubt, and read it as "didn't work this time".

but hey, are we surprised that Mishin, archetypal grumpy old man, is being cautious? 

[edited for a typo]

Just now, kay said:

the original says "не удался". it can be translated both as "fail" and "didn't work". interview is short, but in conjuction with Mishin's following "this does not diminish his input into history of figure skating" I'm willing to give Mishin a benefit of doubt, and read it as "didn't work this time".

but hey, are we surprised that Mishin, archetypal grumpy old, man is being cautious? 

Mishin is protective of Yuzu! That's sweet.

I wonder if the quadruple axel jump itself has a future, though.  Now we've seen up close what it takes out a person's body.  This 4A saga reads like a cautionary tale to me.

10 minutes ago, kay said:

but hey, are we surprised that Mishin, archetypal grumpy old man, is being cautious? 

[edited for a typo]

Lol, we are not surprised by his surly nature lol. I'm also giving him the benefit since auto translate is seldom accurate. Thank you for the context and insight!

11 minutes ago, Kat said:

Lol, we are not surprised by his surly nature lol. I'm also giving him the benefit since auto translate is seldom accurate. Thank you for the context and insight!

glad to help! 

we have so many wonderful people translating from japanese, i am only happy to help with the meagre content in russian. though, not much of it is even worth anyone's attention, if i'm honest.

Guest Mary_kyo
39 minutes ago, guiltypleasure said:

I wonder if the quadruple axel jump itself has a future, though.  Now we've seen up close what it takes out a person's body.  

Unless the main actor himself wants to star in the next season again, I doubt anyone else is willing or capable of taking this role, probably ever.

1 час назад, kay сказал:

Привет :animated-smileys-hello-22:

здесь носитель русского языка.

в оригинале написано "не удался". его можно перевести как «не удалось», так и «не сработало». интервью короткое, но в связи со словами Мишина «это не умаляет его вклада в историю фигурного катания» я готов дать Мишину повод для сомнений и прочитать его как «на этот раз не сработало».

но разве мы удивлены, что Мишин, архетипичный сварливый  старик, проявляет осторожность? 

[отредактировано из-за опечатки]

I am a native speaker of Russian and in an interview Mishin spoke very well about Yuzu's attempt and about himself in particular. So calling him a grumpy old man is very unacceptable.

1 minute ago, Nataliya05 said:

I am a native speaker of Russian and in an interview Mishin spoke very well about Yuzu's attempt and about himself in particular. So calling him a grumpy old man is very unacceptable.

i can see that you are reading in translation, while i'm writing in english. 

no harm meant towards Mishin, "grumpy old man" is a figure of speech, meant to reflect his general behaviour on camera.

take offence somewhere else

8 hours ago, Henni147 said:

To light up the mood: Yuzu's Stockholm LMEY is about to reach 3 million views! :cheer:

It has crossed 3 million views! Congrats! :cheer:

And there are still so many positive new comments. Yuzu is just so impressive even for people who don't usually watch figure skating.