General Yuzuru Chat

Tsukiyomi added new posts to their translation thread - from the interview available HERE - I am only linking the first post, as there are several more (start with the one from today, i.e. 27 July if you read the previous posts). 

My quick take:

- he does explicitly mention ice shows in the context of his engagement

- he stresses how this is not a retirement, how nothing changed in terms of his determination, but how he's even more motivated

- talks about how he will respond to expectations: “that’s the kind of Axel that you who support me are expecting from me”

- on his ankle/injuries – “there was never a moment when it didn’t hurt”

- he wants to work “even harder” (he says it repeatedly)

- he doesn’t want people to just expect he’ll be into artistic expression, but he wants to do “difficult jumps” etc. emphasising he wants to be perceived as an athlete. 

And some other direct quotations:

- “after all I want to go above and beyond what everyone expects from me”

- “I want to challenge myself to the limit & I hope that I also want to show that challenge even more”

- “maybe I’ll be able to do something more surprising”

- “I would like to be able to do more than what you are seeking”

I can remember years ago there was footage of him arriving at an ice show and chatting to Shizuka Arakawa - she was saying she wanted to continue to jump the more difficult jumps - can’t remember whether it was Salchow or Lutz?  She is amazing - there really must be something in the water in Sendai.  Maybe it’s not being from the usual skating establishment- you see the need to work harder at things.

Kenji Miyamoto interview about his thoughts on Yuzu‘s r… from competition and his work with him as a choreographer, translated with deepL. As always, I don‘t speak Japanese and this is only an automatic translation, I‘ve tried to polish it as good as possible, but there can be mistakes in the details.

Source: https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2022/07/27/0015504255.shtml

! Do not repost outside of Planethanyu !

Spoiler

フィギュアスケート男子で五輪2連覇を達成した羽生結弦さん(27)のスケート人生には、さまざまな人たちがかかわってきた。その一人、振付師の宮本賢二氏(43)は2012-13シーズンの「花になれ」や、15~16シーズンの「天と地のレクイエム」など、エキシビションの振り付けを担当した。競技会からの引退を受けて聞いた、当時の思いや、プロスケーターとして歩む今後への期待などを掲載する。

Various people have been involved in the skating career of Yuzuru Hanyu (27), who has won two consecutive Olympic titles in men's figure skating. One of them is choreographer Kenji Miyamoto (43), who choreographed exhibition programmes like "Hana ni Nare" in the 2012-13 season and "Requiem of Heaven and Earth" in the 2015-16 season. We asked him about his thoughts on Hanyu’s retirement from competition, and his expectations for his future as a professional skater.

-競技会からの引退を聞いて、どのような思いだったか。

「一番は寂しいという気持ちでした。ずっとトップにいましたし、世界の宝のような選手です。喪失感のような、心にぽっかりと穴が空いたような感じでした」

Q: What were your thoughts when you heard of his retirement from competition?

KM: The main thing I felt was that I would miss him. He was at the top for a long time and is a world-class athlete. I felt a sense of loss, like having a gaping hole in my heart.

-エキシビションの振付師として、2012~13シーズンの「花になれ」や、15~16シーズンの「天と地のレクイエム」などを手がけたが、きっかけは?

「東日本大震災が発生した2011年、4月9日に神戸で『東日本大震災チャリティー演技会 ~復興の街、神戸から~』を企画しました。羽生君が大変な状況だと聞いて、“みんなの前で滑ってもらえないだろうか?”ということが、最初のきっかけだったと思います」

Q: As an exhibition choreographer, you have created 'Hana ni nare' in the 2012-13 season and 'Requiem for Heaven and Earth' in the 2015-16 season and others, but how did you come to be involved?

KM: On 9 April 2011, after the Great East Japan Earthquake, the 'Great East Japan Earthquake Charity Exhibition, in Kobe, the City of Recovery' was organised in Kobe. When I heard that Hanyu was in a difficult situation, I thought, "Couldn't he skate here for everyone?" I think that was the initial starting point.

-振り付けで心がけていたことは?

「『花になれ』のときは、『まずは歌詞をすごく大事にしてほしい』と伝えました。振り付けの前に『まずこの曲を全部歌えるようにしてほしい』と言ったら『全部覚えました。全部歌えます』と言われて。すごく感動しました。吸収するのが早くて、振り付けた動きに自分の魅力をプラスして、本当に歌いながら滑っていました。見る人に元気や癒やしを与えていた印象です」

Q: What did you have in mind for the choreography?

KM: For 'Hana ni nare', I said, "First of all, I want you to be very serious about the lyrics". I wanted him to be able to sing the whole song before we started the choreography, and he said, "I've memorised the whole song. I can sing all of it". I was very impressed. He learned the choreography very quickly and added his own flair to the choreographed movements, and he was really singing while he skated. I got the impression that he was giving energy and healing to the people watching him.

-振り付けへのこだわりのようなものは見受けられたか。

「目が本当に鋭くて、目でビデオを捉えているような感じでした。自分の中ですぐ解釈していました。最初はコピーをして、それをもっとこうした方がいいかな、と自分で動いてみたりする。だから教える方としてはすごくプレッシャーですよね。軽い動きとか、さらっとしたものをしてしまうと、彼はおそらくすぐに見極めて、“もうちょっとこうですか?みたいな感じで言われるだろうな”と思いながら。緊張感がありましたね」

Q: Did you see any particular commitment to the choreography?

KM: His eyes were really sharp and it was like he was capturing a video with his eyes. He was quick to interpret it in his own mind. At first he would copy me, and then he would work on it on his own to see if he should do it this way or that way. So as a teacher, it was a lot of pressure. If I would do something too light or too casual, he would probably spot it right away and say something like, "Could it be a bit more like this?" It was quite intense.

-質問されることはあったのか。

「彼との振り付けですごく印象的だったのは、お互いにあまりしゃべらなかったんですよね。こんな感じでとか、こういう雰囲気で、みたいに。ちょっとした言葉は言うんですけど。テレパシーではないかというぐらい、こちらの振り付けの意図をすぐに見つけてくれて動きにしてくれました」

Q: Did he ask you any questions?

KM: What was very impressive about the choreography with him was that we didn't talk much to each other. We would say a few words, like 'like this' or 'in this atmosphere'. We just said some small words. It was almost like telepathy, because he was able to immediately grasp what I was trying to do in the choreography and transform it into movement.

-以心伝心のようにも思える。

「だれに対しても心を読み取ることがすごいのだろうと思いました。その話を本人にしたら『人はいろいろと違う形で教えるけど、賢二先生はそういう感じでやりますよね』と。的を得ているなと」

Q: It seems to be a heart-to-heart communication.

KM: I thought it must be amazing to read someone's mind. When I talked with him about it, he said, "People teach in different ways, but Kenji-sensei does it in this way". I thought he was right.

[t/n: Again, this is only an automatic translation. Please look at the overall meaning rather than at the exact words. I don‘t want to become the source of rumours about Yuzuru Hanyu actually reading other people‘s minds.]

-特に印象的だったことは?

「覚えるのがまず早いんです。こういうこともできます、と自分の技術を出してくれて、それを取り入れましょうということもあったので、一つのプログラムをもっと自分なりに、そして私の意向も添えて大きくしてくれる。共同作業のような感じでした。『これをやってね』ということをただやるのではなくて、一緒に作り上げていく感覚でした」

Q: What was particularly impressive?

KM: He learns quickly, first of all. He would show me his own techniques, saying that he can do these things, and then we tried to incorporate them, and so he was able to make the programme greater in his own way, and with my ideas as well. It was like a collaborative process. It wasn't just 'do this', it was like we were creating it together.

-人を引きつける魅力はどのようなところにあると。

「いつも神がかった演技をしますが、簡単にトップにいたわけではないじゃないですか。けがのときにも、周りの人は“彼なら絶対に奇跡を起こす”と口にしていましたが、それを超えるような演技、結果を出してくる。でも普段は本当に普通の子。にこにこしていて。そこが魅力ではないですか。スケートの技術はもちろんですけど、それ以外のところも人として素晴らしいと思っています」

Q: What do you think is the attraction that draws people to him?

KM: He always gives a divine performance, but it wasn't always easy for him to stay at the top. Even when he was injured, people around him were saying, "He will definitely perform a miracle", and he performs and achieves results that go beyond that. But normally he's a really normal kid. He's just so smiling. Isn't that part of his attractiveness? Of course he has great skating skills, but I also think he's a wonderful person in other ways.

宮本賢二(みやもと・けんじ)1978年11月6日、兵庫県姫路市出身。シングルからアイスダンスに転向し、全日本選手権優勝など数々の栄冠を手にした。2006年に現役を退いた後は振付師として活躍。羽生結弦や荒川静香、高橋大輔、織田信成、宮原知子など国内トップスケーターのほか、さまざまなアイスショーの振り付けも行い、テレビなどでも解説を行っている。

Kenji Miyamoto was born on 6 November 1978 in Himeji City, Hyogo Prefecture. After retiring in 2006, he became a choreographer. Not only has he choreographed for Japan's top skaters such as Yuzuru Hanyu, Shizuka Arakawa, Daisuke Takahashi, Nobunari Oda and Satoko Miyahara, but also for various ice shows, and he also commentates on TV and other media.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

I hope that we will hear news about Yuzu's new projects soon. I am really excited about the prospect of what Yuzu will show us and especially because we might witness the 4A.

We all know that when Yuzu performs the 4A, it will be the ideal version if the jump that Yuzu envisages. Nessie, when she is finally ready to reveal herself will show us how she is perfection in motion. Nessie will be sinuous and sleek, with iridescent light golden skin and a gorgeous transparent fin all along her length. She will rear up on the ice and her call will make the entire world stop to listen to her. The audience will gasp and then as the entire arena erupts with applause, Nessie will leap skywards and fall back to the ice rink as a million twinkling ice crystals. Yuzu will be standing in the centre of the rink his costume now covered by the glittering crystals and some will form into a delicate crown of ice diamonds. 

This is my wish for Yuzu and for us

On 7/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, SummerMemories said:

OMG I love this idea!!!!! SO MUCH!

Personally I am a documentary fan and I feel like that documentary could always touch people from a different perspective. If we are able to produce a documentary with different angles, in a more narrative way, I think it could also help with changing the reputation of "Yuzu's crazy fans". A lot of the gossip or common image of Fanyu being crazy are from specific screenshots or moments on the social media, but that should not be the permanent image of Yuzu's fans. Also the reason of some crazy moments should be revealed, rather than only having the result presented.

Many non-FS fans dislike Yuzu simply because of his so-called crazy fans, even without understanding how awesome Yuzu is as a person and skater. I do think project like this could help correcting some cliche impression on Yuzu as well, cuz I have heard so many times that people saying "I hate him because he never control his crazy fans"..... I mean I don't care people hating some fanyus, but I care about people throwing bad words on him because of that Fanyu reputation. I hope the documentary could display why and how Fanyu come to together to stand with him, how the group grows bigger and bigger in an expotential-ish way, and how the group support him while receiving LOTS of rewarding moments and gratitudes from him, and how the group became angry and crazy due to the unfair judging system and skaters who go back and forth to him. E.g, some fanyu might know the temperature problem happen in 19 world championship, and because of that, I know some Fanyu brought thermometer to 19 GPF and JN just in case things happen again LOL. 

In terms of connection, I think perhaps Japan and China are the largest market .... likely more potential sponsors from these two countries. I personally know some businessman (mainly in Finance) and one of them appreciate Yuzu quite a lot. But he never invest in something abstract, so we might need to have a more detailed plan before he is willing to step in. I also have some friends in film production but they are relatively young to the industry, so not very famous or experienced.

Hello there !

Thank you for your warm and enthusiastic reply.  I am glad that you raised your questions and concerns. Let me try to answer them: 

The project will put Fanyus in focus but will be a love letter to Yuzuru since the core of Fanyuism is what he is and what he gives. People who accuse Fanyus of being this or that usually have no idea about the current dynamics of social media or are biased or are unwitting racists. I am a 50 year old woman who is following various actors' / athletes' / singers' (both Turkish and foreign) official and fan accounts. I come from a generation which used to send hand written letters to fan clubs, had to wait for weekly youth magazines to see the faces her idols and get some news. So trust me when I say that most of this "dislike for Fanyus" come from one of these 3 reasons. And while we elaborate on those 3 (or maybe more) reasons, we will also be analysing the greatness of Yuzuru.

As for possible financers,  I am happy to present 

- the story board

- the research

- the outline

- the shot list 

- a very summarised script

I am not familiar with the distribution part at all since it is entirely different market but this is where people make money :) 

As for your young friends, well as long as they have access to filming equipment and have some experience, I wouldn't think it's a bad idea to get them involved. "The Blair Witch Project" was an entirely an amateur production, but this is why it was very successfull. "Organic" is the new trend, so an independent and fan-made production may appeal to the audience. 

Anyone who can help the project reach His Excellency's sponsors will get a hug from Yuzuru 

Hope this answers some of the concerns 

Senem