General Yuzuru Chat

Hello, a new Hanyu fan here. I became a real fan during Beijing 2022 although had heard of him numerous times before(only to be impressed by the beauty of his name as I knew nothing about figure skating then). For some reason this time, it clicked for me, although I still know almost nothing about figure skating :p I enjoyed learning stuff from this website during the last few weeks and thought I would like to express the gratitude in words. Thank you for all your great work on this website; it's like goldmine. Of course, I'll always be grateful to Yuzuru for his technical dedication and artistry, so that we can enjoy such beautiful work.

5 minutes ago, TokyoDream said:

Wasn't Anabel supposed to be in Montpellier? We haven't heard from her in a few days so I'm a little worried (I'm sure she's fine and just has a different life to me🤣)

YES I confirm, for having spoken about it that Annabelle is in Montpellier and there are no savages in France  :rofl3:, in addition the South is too beautiful and near the Mediterranean Sea :5918bda9c2674_0005(1): 

Ahhhhh my G&Gs did an SB and broke their world records  :animated-smileys-character-075: and, at the moment, I don't know about Daisuke and Kana? 

I also observed the ceremony of the even medals (I know there are some who will do it  : facepalm: :doh: ) and NAN everything was PERFECT : non-shaking podium / acceptable medals / innovative bouquets and the 3 :smiley-char023: banners

21 minutes ago, Yuzuwinnie said:

YES I confirm, for having spoken about it that Annabelle is in Montpellier and there are no savages in France  :rofl3:, in addition the South is too beautiful and near the Mediterranean Sea :5918bda9c2674_0005(1): 

Ahhhhh my G&Gs did an SB and broke their world records  :animated-smileys-character-075: and, at the moment, I don't know about Daisuke and Kana? 

I also observed the ceremony of the even medals (I know there are some who will do it  : facepalm: :doh: ) and NAN everything was PERFECT : non-shaking podium / acceptable medals / innovative bouquets and the 3 :smiley-char023: banners

Haha don't worry I know France very well I wasn't worried about her safety there 🤣

Glad you have spoken to her!!

Yes G&G are awesome!

9 hours ago, Suzu said:

I agree, he is now the best he has ever been but unfortunately his injuries have played a big part regarding his placement on the podium ( he should have permanent G.O.A.T stand there in every FS award ceremonies whether he participates the competition or not)  I firmly believe he was and still is unbeatable if he was/ is able to skate without injuries.

I know I shouldn't say this out loud, because the decision of the re..re..nt  (I can't even write the word) is only his and he will be loved and supported whatever his decision may be, but Iam saying anyway: I wish he would continue competitive skating...there I said it  :graucho:.

Partly I wish it for very selfish reason; we would be seeing his skating much more than just in ice shows which probably will be presented only in Japan.

Partly because I think he is the only one really bushing figure skating to the new never before seen dimensions. His competition programs are so inventive and ingenious and demading so much skill that I doubt there will perhaps never come a skater who could perform the way Yuzu does.

I am so not ready to give up him and return to  dulness of usual figure skating seen thousand of times before :243:

Please count me in. :agree2: And I wanted to ad: What else does it need to give him GOAT status? OK, there are skaters who have more Worlds titles (so far). However, when you look at photos from medal ceremonies throughout Yuzu's senior career you see so many different faces: The skaters that were ranking first came and went. Yuzu stood on the podium with Daisuke, Patrick, Javier and now Nathan. They were considered the best. For a while. (OK, we don't know for how long Nathan will go on competing and being considered the best by some.) But none of them can say he was never beaten by Yuzu.  

I don't think anyone of us wants or is ready for him to retire. Of course as we keep saying we will love and support him *no matter what* but it doesn't mean we are ready to hear the R word. That's just being honest. 

Obviously though, the one thing I would hate even more than Yuzu retiring, is Yuzu staying for the wrong reasons.

Only he knows, he's a very intelligent person who knows himself in depth and I want to think that whatever he ends up choosing it will be purely for himself and his happiness.

2 hours ago, pwpart said:

Hello, a new Hanyu fan here. I became a real fan during Beijing 2022 although had heard of him numerous times before(only to be impressed by the beauty of his name as I knew nothing about figure skating then). For some reason this time, it clicked for me, although I still know almost nothing about figure skating :p I enjoyed learning stuff from this website during the last few weeks and thought I would like to express the gratitude in words. Thank you for all your great work on this website; it's like goldmine. Of course, I'll always be grateful to Yuzuru for his technical dedication and artistry, so that we can enjoy such beautiful work.

Welcome! :wave:

Guest Mary_kyo

The message I’m getting from the Worlds till now is that if the federation is not behind your back, you can’t step on the podium at all. Till now, all the medalist are hugely supported by their fed. However, the message that JSF sent to Yuzu in Beijing and all the past four years was clear: “retire”. Rumors are that JSF was not happy with his 4A goal too, remember team Japan and coaches were almost all unimpressed after his FS in Beijing. Also with how JSF supported Yuma, Shoma, Kaori and pairs in this Worlds, I think no one can say JSF can’t politick. They are actually on par with USFS.

Meanwhile Yuzu is improving, his scores doesn’t say that but the gala practices were enough solid proof. I believe he had two big improvements in his career: first in 2015 and second in late 2020. Something shifted in his jumps after 2020, very visible in Jnats, was that the effect of 4A practices or not idk. So I think if he quits, it’s because he sees no hope in this draining battle. This will be very hard for me because that means even someone like him who loves FS selflessly more than anyone, sees no light in this sport. But if he continues, this will be the start of another super tough battle against a deeply corrupted system. It will be a hard decision. The path ahead will be absolutely unrewarding, full of extreme underscoring and humiliations. I wonder what he will choose, because if he wants to continue, he needs a very strong goal to be able to tolerate the disrespect that will be thrown to him from every direction.

12 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

The message I’m getting from the Worlds till now is that if the federation is not behind your back, you can’t step on the podium at all. Till now, all the medalist are hugely supported by their fed. However, the message that JSF sent to Yuzu in Beijing and all the past four years was clear: “retire”. Rumors are that JSF was not happy with his 4A goal too, remember team Japan and coaches were almost all unimpressed after his FS in Beijing. Also with how JSF supported Yuma, Shoma, Kaori and pairs in this Worlds, I think no one can say JSF can’t politick. They are actually on par with USFS.

Meanwhile Yuzu is improving, his scores doesn’t say that but the gala practices were enough solid proof. I believe he had two big improvements in his career: first in 2015 and second in late 2020. Something shifted in his jumps after 2020, very visible in Jnats, was that the effect of 4A practices or not idk. So I think if he quits, it’s because he sees no hope in this draining battle. This will be very hard for me because that means even someone like him who loves FS selflessly more than anyone, sees no light in this sport. But if he continues, this will be the start of another super tough battle against a deeply corrupted system. It will be a hard decision. The path ahead will be absolutely unrewarding, full of extreme underscoring and humiliations. I wonder what he will choose, because if he wants to continue, he needs a very strong goal to be able to tolerate the disrespect that will be thrown to him from every direction.

You're right, it will definitely be hard either way.

I am not a skater at all, but if I could tell him something , it would be:

If you want to continue, then do it.

Be aware that you’ll need support because you’re not getting it from JSF.
Get sponsorships, have a voice.

I know Yuzu is all about that private life but having a social media account to have brands promote you.

Yuzu has a ton of marketing power, and to withstand the machine that is the ISU, he has to channel it.

Lets be honest:

he could have Nike  or Adidas knocking on the door at the end of 2022 if he tried.

Why is that important? These brands are known for being able to shift the narrative.AI judging wouldn’t be a pipe dream.

Those ads would have lines like “The GOAT, no matter the age” and we would have other athletes under Nike propelling Yuzu’s and also fs popularity.

I strongly believe Yuzu still has the physical and mental capabilities needed to cement his legacy even more.

(And I need more classical music recommendations , because I only play piano and forgot the title of rondo although i had already heard it :D)

#chopinforlife

46 minutes ago, TokyoDream said:

I don't think anyone of us wants or is ready for him to retire. Of course as we keep saying we will love and support him *no matter what* but it doesn't mean we are ready to hear the R word. That's just being honest. 

Obviously though, the one thing I would hate even more than Yuzu retiring, is Yuzu staying for the wrong reasons.

Only he knows, he's a very intelligent person who knows himself in depth and I want to think that whatever he ends up choosing it will be purely for himself and his happiness.

Exactly,  I don't believe for a second that Yuzuru would let anyone influence his decision about his future. If he chooses to continue his competitive career I firmly believe he will do it for all the right reasons like the love of this wonderful sport AND to present an alternative to the monotone programs consisting of jumps and crossovers AND to give brilliant choreographers equally brilliant skater who actually can implement their wildest ideas and who also has ideas of his own AND to express the feelings he has no words for but which we understand in a blink of an eye as he paints a picture of them with his skates AND to broaden our view of what is figure skating AND the most wonderful thing of all, to connect with music and give it a physical form with movements as only Yuzuru Hanyu can... :scratch3: hm... of course he can do all that and more without competing....I think I'll just go now  :runaway:

7 hours ago, pwpart said:

Welcome! We huddle together in a pile to survive the drought by watering each other with drizzles of old water. :animated-smileys-holidays-water-010: