Everything posted by yuzuangel
- General Skating Chat
-
General Skating Chat
I think Max Aaron is known to be a much more technical skater than artistic skater, though. But even judging only the technical side of skating, I don't think he's in the top 3 (i.e. Yuzu, Nathan, Boyang are all above him). So I'm not sure he'd be medaling. And I don't think Jason Brown has better artistry or skating skills than Yuzu, either. Although I guess he'll be *more* in the mix than...currently. Is my bias showing? The thing is...some people may like Jason's skating more than Yuzu's. Certainly lots of NA fans don't care for Yuzu at all. But how do you judge that? And I guess my point is...there are skaters like Yuzu, Javi, Patrick because of the system. If you change the system, I think you will have people focusing on one or the other, and there would be far less incentive to focus on both. This kind of kills the sport in my opinion. And finally, I can sort of understand individual medals for things like jumping vs. spinning vs. figures (skating skills). Skaters like Jason can focus on spins, if he prefers, it's certainly something he can excel at if he puts his focus on it. And someone with million-dollar spins like Yulia Lipnitskaya could still be in the mix even if she can't do 7 jumping passes in a free skate. But artistic vs. technical? What is artistic and what is technical?
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
-
General Skating Chat
I don't think men's figure skating has ever been great in the U.S....it's not really as mainstream as the ladies'. And if they want the ladies' event to be more watchable, I think they have a lot they can fix there (i.e. base values for quads/3A should be HIGHER, layout balance should be rewarded, etc.) And no basically-predetermined winners.
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
- General Skating Chat
-
Phantom of the Opera
Hahaha, the missing-a-revolution quad toe loop slightly-off-the-music-because-it's-missing-a-revolution is charming in its own right, but this is better for those of us with OCD
-
Team Russia
Oh, poor girl....
-
General Yuzuru Chat
Sliding in on a quite Sunday to say that we've updated the forum rules. Most changes were to make the rules more comprehensive and clear as we figure out what works and what doesn't. We've definitely learned a lot over the last four months. Please check it out
-
Forum Rules Guidelines (Updated March 2023)
We've updated the rules! Most changes were to make the rules more comprehensive and clear as we figure out what works and what doesn't. We've definitely learned a lot over the last four months. Please check it out
-
Team Russia
Thoughts about the ladies' SPs: 1. Evgenia. Loveeeee her short program music. Is there any miming in her program? Because I can't see it from that low-quality video and I have to say, it looks really good without! She is clearly a very musical skater. Love the transitions into the axel and the loop. 2. Alina. I really love black swan/swan lake so it's one of those war horses I don't mind if skaters use over and over. I have to say Alina is my favorite Russian lady right now. Her jumps are the best, her rippons and tanos are enjoyable. So much height/flow and confidence. Well I'm not the type of person who lets mistakes affect my enjoyment of a program so I think this one was my favorite, but I'm sure she will end up being clean when it comes to the major events anyway. Though her choreography in the beginning...well, if I didn't know this was black swan, I wouldn't really have guessed. She hits a lot of full body poses, can some of them be more swan-like/balletic? I'm thinking the first lift in elena ilinykh/nikita k's black swan FD. Something like that. Alina also doesn't hold positions long enough (just a second longer would be fine!). And I think maybe a little more bladework than posing would be great for a killer step sequence. But her body lines are sublime. Love her ending spin and flourish with her hands. 3. Elena Radionova...well, I think this is one of those programs where the music drives the program and the skater struggles to keep up. The music is upbeat and trendy but she is noticeably slow, especially in the spins. She just needs better skating skills for this program, and I wish she spent the summer working on those (but I know she also has jumps to work on). Honestly I don't see much difference from last year when she was with Inna since she moved camps, but it's only been a couple months and she has a little bit more time. 4. Sotskova. Shame about the jumps, but her posture and skating skills are really nice (especially after watching Elena) and her spins were fast and centered. She has a more introverted skating style which I think could be powerful with the right choreography and even better skating skills. Too bad without perfect jumps, she'll have a hard time getting on the team this year. Final thought: who let a screaming baby into the arena? At first I had to wonder if it was part of the music (sometimes you never know).
-
Your favorite costumes?
That is fancy.
-
Team Russia
I wonder what the betting odds for Evgenia would be come the Olympics. Because I've never seen betting odds better than around ~1:1 for figure skating and that would be severely undervalued.
-
Phantom of the Opera
WTT is good too and those camera angles... You're right, he looks good in a v-neck!
-
Phantom of the Opera
Literally the best costume. And hair. Just IMO source: isu.org source
-
Team USA
omg
-
Notte Stellata (The Swan)
A thread for the sentimental favorite EX, because can't go wrong with more threads! Let's start off with this crazy swan... x
- Skating on the Planet