[Removed][Translation] Brian Orser Interview (Ice Jewels Vol. 6, May 2017)

gladi

Thank you, @gladi, for your wonderful translation. 

It was interesting to read some of BO thoughts after Helsinki. I think he was right about Yuzu being in the great state of mind and physically, the best position entering into Oly season! It was visible, IMO, at first FaoI, too. Yes, it was a show and all but his focus for Chopin was there and he was so content when his jumps went good. I can't wait for this weekend to see Chopin again or, who knows, something new ...:2thumbsup:

On 6/6/2017 at 05:08, gladi said:

–––    What do you think will happen to the men in this furious battle of quads? 

BO    It’s a question I’ve been asked a lot lately. [Figure skating] is a sport, so the progress in technique is a very exciting thing. But on the one hand, we must be mindful of injuries and so forth. I am hoping that skaters could have a long competitive career. And that as many of my students as possible can become athletes who can still give great performances when they are 26 like Javi. As a coach, I must work out strategies so that athletes can improve in their technique while maintaining their health. 

I think this is a very good answer, one that I agree with.
On principle, I am against any bans, like I think some would want. There's a shared responsibility here, between both ISU and coaches and athletes and I think Brian has it right here in terms of working on it so that there are improvements while at the same time health isn't being endangered (more than it usually is as figure skating is not a 'safe' sport). It's true there's been a lot of talk lately and I think the new rules will help some but I agree with this particular approach.

–––    Lastly, is it a source of pressure for Hanyu-senshu to go into the Olympics as the reigning champion? 

BO    No, I don’t think so. I think he is in the most ideal position for himself right now. 

And isn't that good to hear? Knock on wood!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the translation @gladi...

my thoughts as I was reading this is that Brian sure has some work to do to strategize on how to keep this momentum or even atrategize with yuzu on how to reach optimum potential at pyeongchang. And also how to fend off upcoming youngsters armed with quads. IMO, having the complete program is great with great transitions and spins and everything else. But would it be enough to the judges to give enough points for victory? In Patrick's case, he only has so far 2 different quads so that makes his BV among the lowest. And I know yuzu has been in the mid range of BV. As a coach, how do you find a balance in terms of completeness of a program vs longevity as an athlete vs desire to win? 

• 2 weeks later...

@ymy well I think an athlete like Yuzu will always want to win––he's notoriously competitive. But making a program "complete" with everything of great quality and jumps not telegraphed is Yuzu's ideal and probably what is fun for him to try and do. A main part of maintaining longevity as an athlete, I was thinking, is in avoiding injuries by doing things with correct technique (so you're not lopsided, or landing too heavy, there's a lovely thread in here where fresca and a few others were discussing jump technique. Worth a read), building up muscles to protect the joints (compare Yuzu this year and before), and building up stamina (or conversely, being energy-efficient, which imo Yuzu is a very efficient skater <3) so that he is focused the entire way through; it's much more likely to be injured when you're distracted and tired and jumping without full control of your moves.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 8:08 PM, gladi said:

I think everyone––fans, media, and officials––came to understand that program for the first time that day. The choreography was such that the program falls flat when there are mistakes. Even I myself have wondered whether that was a suitable piece for him. But I think Yuzu knew. ––– Brian Orser, Ice Jewels Vol. 06 

Just a short one. This interview with Brian Orser was part of Ice Jewels’ 2017 World Championships report. Yuzuru-related parts translated. Translated by gladi, feel free to repost with credits.

=======================================

Brian Orser

“Yuzuru’s free skate was perfect”

Three days after the World Championships ended in Helsinki, Yuzuru Hanyu’s coach, Brian Orser, agreed to an interview in New York. (Report by Akiko Tamura) 

-------------------------------------

–––    Congratulations on Yuzuru Hanyu’s victory. This is the fourth year in a row that one of your students has won the world title.

BO    It seems that way. 2014 was Yuzu (Yuzuru Hanyu), 2015 was Javi (Javier Fernandez), 2016 was Javi as well, and 2017 was Yuzu. But it felt special this year. Short program was Javi’s day and he gave an incredible performance. And for the free skate, this time it was Yuzu who showed us a perfect performance. 

–––    After the Four Continents Championships, what training did you arrange for Hanyu-senshu?

BO    We did the basic conditioning that we’ve always done. As you know, especially this season, he had been focusing on the quads, and sometimes he ended up overthinking. Personality-wise, he hates that he cannot always be perfect. But he (came to understand/understood) that he can also go around/ and take a detour before finally arriving at [perfection]. The simple training that I’ve done with Javi, I also had Yuzu do this season. And then, headed towards Worlds’, he was actually in the best form right now, the best he has ever been in the 5 years he’s been with us. Wasn’t sick, wasn’t injured. Really the best condition he has ever been! (t/n Brian really wanted to emphasize this) 

–––    The pressure that he is feeling––is it coming from around him, or is it coming from himself? 

BO    I think himself. Of course, expectations from fans and all around do turn into pressure. But that is a given as a top athlete and it doesn’t go away even if you say you hate it. Such responsibility follows people who are in a position of high expectations. Since he came to my place when he was 18, he’s grown as a person and become an adult. He’s also come to understand this sport even more. I’m very proud of him for that. 

–––    After the SP, any special discussions, or…? 

BO    No, nothing in particular. I didn’t think the content [of the performance] was that bad. There were no problems with the quad salchow in practice. Sometimes fans send complaint letters to me and ask questions like, “Why did you have him do the quad salchow?” But I am seeing it routinely and I know he can do it. Why he failed, I don’t quite know. Even I myself don’t have answers to everything. 

–––    I heard you weren’t in favor of adding the 4Lo in the beginning of the season. I think Hanyu-senshu [went through] many trying competitions this season. 

Last autumn (t/n after Skate Canada, Brian and Yuzu had a sit-down discussion with the entire team), he said to me, “The quad loop is necessary for the Olympic season, but it will take time for that reason.” When he said that to me, I was able to understand his way of thinking. Especially when he began to stabilize and land [the quad loop] in competition, what he was aiming for came to take form. If he returned to last year’s content, it would have been easy for him to win with no mistakes, wouldn’t it? To begin with, the reason why he did the Loop jump was so he wouldn’t exacerbate the injury in his foot. But now he has no injuries and everything went really well. He broke a new world record and reclaimed his world title. 

–––    In the end, he gave [us all] a perfect free skate. 

BO    I’ve reviewed the footage again as well after returning to Toronto, it was a perfect performance. I’ve said the same to him at the Kiss and Cry too. All the jumps were perfect and effortlessly landed, the choreography, the spins, the steps… there were no faults to be found anywhere. I think everyone––fans, media, and officials––came to understand that program for the first time that day. The choreography was such that the program falls flat when there are mistakes. Even I myself have wondered whether that was a suitable piece for him. But I think Yuzu knew. 

–––    What do you think will happen to the men in this furious battle of quads? 

BO    It’s a question I’ve been asked a lot lately. [Figure skating] is a sport, so the progress in technique is a very exciting thing. But on the one hand, we must be mindful of injuries and so forth. I am hoping that skaters could have a long competitive career. And that as many of my students as possible can become athletes who can still give great performances when they are 26 like Javi. As a coach, I must work out strategies so that athletes can improve in their technique while maintaining their health. 

–––    Lastly, is it a source of pressure for Hanyu-senshu to go into the Olympics as the reigning champion? 

BO    No, I don’t think so. I think he is in the most ideal position for himself right now. 

Thank you. I bought this book :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: