FIFA World Cup 2022

sallycinnamon

42 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I won't lie, I am very happy for this result even though I am a big Argentina fan. The disrespect and dismissive comments I saw on social media regarding the Saudi team before the match made me root for them this time. Their win was deserved and Argentina and their fans needs to learn not to underestimate any team. So congratulations to the winners, well played indeed.

That second goal was a stunner :loveeyes:

The commentator on our TV said before they began to play, that after this match, Argentina will continue its winning streak and tie with Italy because both teams will have 37 victories in a row. I found it very disrespectful that they already stated that Argentina would win this match. 

59 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

Well if that wasn’t humbling for us then I don’t know what is :roll:(with all due respect to Saudi Arabia)

I think Argentina was very nervous but hey, Spain lost their first match in 2010 and ended up being the champions deservedly so. I still have hope 🇦🇷

You are really optimistic :lol:

5 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

The first match of group C is over and the end result is a big shock: Argentina loses against Saudia Arabia, 1-2. The Argentinians played rather weak today especially in the second half. The Saudis fought with a big heart and this resulted in two great goals. The second one was especially very nice. (I also hop al-Sahrani is OK, the collission at the end of the match looked brutal...).

This will probably taken down but until then here's the second goal

It's a busy day with four matches. Next up is the first match in group D, Denkmark vs Tunisia, then Mexico vs Poland in group C, and in the evening France vs Australia (group D).

...and Saudi Arabia NT is usually a team that gets butchered by the bigger teams 😅 (I mean I still remember the time (in 2002 I think...) when Germany NT just straight up butchered them 8-0(!). This time not only did they win, they won against Argentina too(!!)

The schedule is actually pretty convenient for my timezone, but I haven't managed to catch any of the matches live :xD: ― oh well, did I tell you that I am a lapsed    football fan?? (anyhow, we're still in the qualifying round so there are still many others to catch live...)

28 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

...and Saudi Arabia NT is usually a team that gets butchered by the bigger teams 😅 (I mean I still remember the time (in 2002 I think...) when Germany NT just straight up butchered them 8-0(!). This time not only did they win, they won against Argentina too(!!)

The schedule is actually pretty convenient for my timezone, but I haven't managed to catch any of the matches live :xD: ― oh well, did I tell you that I am a lapsed    football fan?? (anyhow, we're still in the qualifying round so there are still many others to catch live...)

Yes, they lost 8-0 against Germany 20 years ago. Times have changed since then!

The group stage is really busy because we have four matches every day but the more exciting matches will be in the knockout stages. I have more time these days but it is still impossible to watch all matches so I will just follow whenever I can/the matches are exciting.

I am a lapsed fan too, I just follow bigger tournaments and some news in social media and that's all. If I had a favourite team that I could follow every week it would be different...but I don't have one. When I was a kid we had an 1-hour Premier League or Primera División summary every weekend, and that was the football in TV for a week. Now it'd be too time-consuming to follow all matches.

I missed the two games earlier, Denmark vs Tunisia and Mexico vs Poland were both 0-0. I saw that Poland had a penalty but Ochoa caught Lewandowski's attempt. 

France vs Australia begins soon.

21 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Yes, they lost 8-0 against Germany 20 years ago. Times have changed since then!

The group stage is really busy because we have four matches every day but the more exciting matches will be in the knockout stages. I have more time these days but it is still impossible to watch all matches so I will just follow whenever I can/the matches are exciting.

Dang, 20 years already??? That's such a long time ago akugdhjfwsvjsjbdjbh :headdesk:

I know that, that the knock off is where the real thing happens, but if you happen to follow a team or two (even if very casually 😅) you'd want to watch their qualifying matches too at least :embSwan:

@Figure_Frenzy yes it's crazy that it was already so long ago. It seems like it was only a few years ago...

Easy win for France against Australia (which didn't look that easy in the beginning).

So we have group C:

1. Saudi Arabia - 3 points 

2. Poland  - 1 point

3. Mexico - 1 point

4. Argentina - 0 point

and group D:

1. France - 3 points

2. Tunesia - 1 point

3. Denmark - 1 point

4. Australia - 0 point

32 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

That caption at the bottom :embSwan:

n1fcNBj.jpg 

Is it BBC? Very typical. lol I've just watched the remaining of the second half and Japan has definitely fought a lot better than the Germans. The second goal from Japan was very nice and you could tell that the Germans didn't take the Japanese attempt seriously. Also Gonda saved some German attemps fantastically before Doan scored the goal. Well played and congrats to Japan on the victory.