Rank active senior skaters in terms of program components

Just share your top 5 in each Program Component and what score you would give them

i.e. 

Spoiler

Performance

Men

1. Yuzu - 10 

Ladies

Interpretation

Men

1. Yuzu - 10

Ladies

Skating Skills

Men

Ladies

Transition

Men

Ladies

Choreography (in general looking at their different programs)

Men

Ladies

---

bonus: your favorite skaters 

Oh, nice idea!

Can we use fractions, or only natural numbers?

I think we can safely admit Yuzuru Hanyu is a reference with 10 in every PCs.

But what do we mean by 10? I see two option :

- either considering there should be scores above 10 to score him, but as there are not, he gets just 10 and other skaters can be scored on the whole scale (and, please, no "topping" for reasons contrary to ISU rules, as we often see : a popped jump or missed combo, superbly made up by Yuzuru Hanyu, does NOT fit the definition of a "fall or serious error" as it doesn't impact the components, unlike a fall or a very ugly catch-up or hand).

The components PDF, by ISU :

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/17596-program-component-chart-id-sp-2019-20/file

17 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Oh, nice idea!

Can we use fractions, or only natural numbers?

I think we can safely admit Yuzuru Hanyu is a reference with 10 in every PCs.

But what do we mean by 10? I see two option :

- either considering there should be scores above 10 to score him, but as there are not, he gets just 10 and other skaters can be scored on the whole scale (and, please, no "topping" for reasons contrary to ISU rules, as we often see : a popped jump or missed combo, superbly made up by Yuzuru Hanyu, does NOT fit the definition of a "fall or serious error" as it doesn't impact the components, unlike a fall or a very ugly catch-up or hand).

The components PDF, by ISU :

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/17596-program-component-chart-id-sp-2019-20/file

I would say definitely use fractions just like how judges score skaters. I see Yuzu as 10 because he's the ultimate skater. I mean maybe not 10 in every skate but generally speaking, to me he's a high 9 skaters and perfect 10s when he's perfect.

15 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

I would say definitely use fractions just like how judges score skaters. I see Yuzu as 10 because he's the ultimate skater. I mean maybe not 10 in every skate but generally speaking, to me he's a high 9 skaters and perfect 10s when he's perfect.

Sorry, I forgot the second possibility.

So, the first is to say that Yuzuru Hanyu is 10, while acknowledging he deserves more, thus enabling marks 0-10 to the others.

The second is to say that Yuzuru Hanyu is the standard for 10, and there, I think very few skaters would reach 8 (namely, for Ladies I see only Alina Zagitova and Alena Kostornaia for Performance and Skating Skills, them plus Rika Kihira and Evguenia Medvedeva for interpretation, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva rather near for performance, and Kaori Sakamoto also for interpretation, I may miss some), even considering the scale as somehow logarithmic, and many, even at top level, would be under 5 for some components.

Tbh I don't like rankings like that. Especially in ladies. There are so many of them, super versatile, with their own strenghts and weaknesses, with subtle differences in some skills (even in terms of one component) that it's simply impossible for me.

That's why I will post skaters who are rarely mentioned in such rankings, but deserve to be highlighted.

Skating Skills: Anastasia Kostyuk, Azusa Tanaka (Does anybody know what happened with Nastia?:()

Transitions: Seoyeong Wi

Composition: Yuna Shiraiwa, the most underrated lady

Interpretation: Tomoe Kawabata :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

Performance: MIYU HONDA - Actually, Miyu is the best performer right now and everybody who thinks otherwise is just WROOOONG!!!😤😤😤😤😤

JUST LOOK AT HER

And in men

1. Yuzuru
  2. Yuzuru
  3. Yuzuru
  4. guess who
  5. Yuzuru

💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Sorry, I forgot the second possibility.

So, the first is to say that Yuzuru Hanyu is 10, while acknowledging he deserves more, thus enabling marks 0-10 to the others.

The second is to say that Yuzuru Hanyu is the standard for 10, and there, I think very few skaters would reach 8 (namely, for Ladies I see only Alina Zagitova and Alena Kostornaia for Performance and Skating Skills, them plus Rika Kihira and Evguenia Medvedeva for interpretation, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva rather near for performance, and Kaori Sakamoto also for interpretation, I may miss some), even considering the scale as somehow logarithmic, and many, even at top level, would be under 5 for some components.

Since 10 is the standard I would just use Yuzu as the standard for 10. I mean sure we could say he's beyond that but then that would also be tougher to scale since different people will give him a different number and would scale differently from that standard. So Id go with 2.

13 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Since 10 is the standard I would just use Yuzu as the standard for 10. I mean sure we could say he's beyond that but then that would also be tougher to scale since different people will give him a different number and would scale differently from that standard. So Id go with 2.

Yes, that's an argument.

The argument for 1 being, that doing so, we deprive other skaters of the possibility of getting high scores, which they would have got, being not Yuzuru Hanyu. But there are counter-arguments : scores get tougher when athlete reach the higher scores, that's a general rule in sports and anything competitive, the particularity here being that today one athlete is so high above all others; plus, allowing them scores near Yuzuru Hanyu's would deprive the latter of a deserved advance (at least in Men category); plus, many athletes are better today, just because they were inspired by Yuzuru Hanyu himself, so they don't really lose from his being in the competition.

Paskud, thank you for all these names, at the moment I just watched Miyu Honda, she really is excellent! Is she related to Marin Honda?

14 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Paskud, thank you for all these names, at the moment I just watched Miyu Honda, she really is excellent! Is she related to Marin Honda?

Yes, she is Marin's younger sister. Miyu is voice actress and figure skating isn't her priority, but she is takes part in local competitions in Japan.

Actually, biggest tragedy of cancelling ice shows is the fact that we don't have more Miyu's performances.