General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, LiaRy said:

Is it confirmed that Jason won't particioate in comps?!

:scratch3:Jason has confirmed that he's taking a break from competitive skating, but I'm not sure if he's specified how much time he's taking off. I guess in theory his "break" could end before the Grand Prix, but I doubt it. 

Here's a link to his IG post (second picture):

I think he talked about it in another interview as well, but I can't remember which one.

2 minutes ago, Anabel said:

I don't think Yuzu won't get any invitations since his presence is almost a guarantee of ticket sold out.

:peekapooh: 

so basically he'll get invited no matter what happen? like they would go change top 12 skaters to top 15 skaters to get invitation?

Yuzuru will absolutely get (at least) two invitations. I believe he could pull the "come-back" card if needed as well:

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting.

(https://www.isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/event-documents/figure-skating-4/2021-22/grand-prix-2/series-files-40/25995-isu-grand-prix-general-announcement-2021-22/file)

25 minutes ago, caramelicht said:

:peekapooh: 

so basically he'll get invited no matter what happen? like they would go change top 12 skaters to top 15 skaters to get invitation?

I think there's some confusion on this... 

Here's a good article if you want all the details: https://anythinggoe.com/grandprixguide2223/

But basically, it's top 12 at Worlds that are guaranteed 2 spots. Skaters in Top 24 World Standing or Top 24 Season's Best Scores are guaranteed 1 spot. It doesn't mean they won't get 2; it just means they're guaranteed at least 1 and a second GP assignment would be based on Hosting Fed invitations. As @Anabel said, I would be *SHOCKED* if none of the hosting feds wanted Yuzu since he sells out arenas (and is pretty much the only skater guaranteed to do so). Don't worry, he'll get 2 assignments, lol. He also doesn't need the comeback rule because he uh...hasn't skipped a season...ever.:Poohgaveup:

20 minutes ago, YuDai said:

Yuzuru will absolutely get (at least) two invitations. I believe he could pull the "come-back" card if needed as well:

(https://www.isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/event-documents/figure-skating-4/2021-22/grand-prix-2/series-files-40/25995-isu-grand-prix-general-announcement-2021-22/file)

I don't remember where I saw this, but I thought he already used a come-back card in 2018/2019? Since he didn't go to 2018 Worlds and missed the GPF after the NHK injury

4 minutes ago, LiaRy said:

I don't remember where I saw this, but I thought he already used a come-back card in 2018/2019? Since he didn't go to 2018 and missed the GPF after the NHK injury

I believe he received the second invitation without needing to use it

8 minutes ago, LiaRy said:

I don't remember where I saw this, but I thought he already used a come-back card in 2018/2019? Since he didn't go to 2018 and missed the GPF after the NHK injury

He didn't need it. The exact ISU language is:

"Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter...."

Yuzu never skipped seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Chitsuki said:

He didn't need it. The exact ISU language is:

"Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter...."

Yuzu never skipped seasons. 

If "season" refers to the whole season, isn't it strange that (in theory) come-back skaters are prioritised over current top skaters (who did not skip a season) :scratch3:

1 hour ago, Perelandra said:

Yuzu essentially moves up the GP ranks, due to 2x taking a break and 1x ineligible due to nationality

Nobody moves up in the WS list or in the number of guaranteed GP spots because someone else doesn‘t compete for whatever reason. Skaters will only be removed from the WS list when they retire officially - which nobody has done so far. As long as we don‘t get any official retirement announcement in the next few days, Yuzu remains 14th in WS and is guaranteed one GP spot (and will of course get a second one as NHK‘s host spot).

6 minutes ago, YuDai said:

If "season" refers to the whole season, isn't it strange that (in theory) come-back skaters are prioritised over current top skaters (who did not skip a season) :scratch3:

I think that’s why it’s a special rule that can only be used once in a career (and only if the user had placed 1st-6th at a Worlds in the last 10 years). Because using it gives the skater priority over everyone (except seeded skaters) for 2 assignments. Which is a bit unfair to skaters who didn’t take seasons off if it can used often.

Although the only skater I can remember using it is Gracie Gold. I know V/M and Patrick Chan also took seasons off after Sochi, but I can’t remember if they had to use this rule to get 2 GP assignments. 

@birnasan

I understand the WS won't change as it's based on points gained through participation in comps and placements. What I meant was that as number 14, Yuzu would not automatically qualify for 2 GP events. As 3 of the top 12 now will not be competing Yuzu becomes the 11th in the queue to be picked for 2 GP events. Correct he can also be given a 2nd GP spot if NHK host selection gives him invitation. There is still a risk that NHK may choose Yuma or Shoma, as they are favoured by JSF.

Financially, it would be madness to allocate only one GP to Yuzu. The GP event and GPF hosts would potentially find their events commercially non viable, plus loss of broadcasting rights and sponsorship incomes.

ISU receives a cut from these events. However, they have demonstrated very poor and suspect decision making in the past.

Hopefully, it will be 2 GP events plus final for Yuzu