General Yuzuru Chat

41 minutes ago, twitwi said:

may i say  because the way they scored the FS? how the PCS and the GOE is given?  

and over all season's  the short stsq score? and the way they promote him? 

by 20+ gap, they CLEARLY want to send the signal, even if Yuzu did't make the error in short which caused  the12 points lost, nathan would have won finally. 

And you know that Yuzuru's score wouldn't have exceeded Nathan's if he'd been able to hold on to an SP lead, how? Do you realize there's always been a momentum aspect to the sport?

Yuzuru probably DOES need more quads, in case Chen tries to land 5 in the LP in order to beat him. That's the real reason, though, unless you want to say that it doesn't matter at all if Yuzuru trains the 4F and the 4Lz, because Chen already has them and can put them in the LP and do 6 quads total, therefore getting his PCS + GOE that the judges want to pile onto him no matter what, and therefore win?

9 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Leave it to Browning to be one of the few who know what they're talking about.

I love Browning as much as the next person but despite his knowledge on FS and jumps...he has been making some questionable statements regarding the men don't you think? Or is it just me?

3 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

But his support of Vincent implies Vincent hasn't under-rotated lately...but he has. So despite his expertise...why is he saying this? 

Because... people can support skaters despite their issues?

Just now, LourdesMoon said:

I love Browning as much as the next person but despite his knowledge on FS and jumps...he has been making some questionable statements regarding the men don't you think? Or is it just me?

Which statements?

His statements are true rather than not an overwhelming majority of times. It's like Dick Button ignored some of Kwan's flaws, but he was still right 99% of the time.

But his support of Vincent implies Vincent hasn't under-rotated lately...but he has. So despite his expertise...why is he saying this? 

Well in the Live, what he said was that after Vincent tried to fix the UR issue, the UR calls by the judges went away. He never actually comes out and says that Vincent has stopped under rotating. Saying the judges stopped calling it doesn't imply that Kurt thinks Vincent has stopped doing URs. 

Just now, hoodie axel said:

Because... people can support skaters despite their issues?

I think I used the wrong terminology in my comment. I mean that his comment here and in the WTT 2019 commentary suggest that Vincent's programs are without flaws now and that his jumps are no longer under-rotated. I shouldn't have simply said support, sorry. Of course he can support him.

I mean that his comment here and in the WTT 2019 commentary suggest that Vincent's programs are without flaws now and that his jumps are no longer under-rotated.

He hasn't suggested this. What are you talking about? He might have praised him, but that's not the same as this.

If someone has a transcript, it'll be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

He makes the occasional questionable statement, yes, but not as many as people think. Kurt phrases his comments about the actual skating very, very carefully indeed. Maybe because he doesn't want to hurt or offend the skaters, I don't know, but for a lot of his commentary, the stuff he doesn't say is almost as important as the stuff he does. 

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Well in the Live, what he said was that after Vincent tried to fix the UR issue, the UR calls by the judges went away. He never actually comes out and says that Vincent has stopped under rotating. Saying the judges stopped calling it doesn't imply that Kurt thinks Vincent has stopped doing URs. 

I hope no thinks I have an issue with Kurt, I really do enjoy his commentary, but as a commentator shouldn't he mention these things? Even simply saying the issue hasn't gone away but that the audience should be aware that judges make calls based on various factors (camera angles, emotion, etc) would still be beneficial rather than simply staying quiet and being ok with the calls, wouldn't it? 

21 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

How is this "clear" to you, might I ask? Based on a season consisting of Yuzuru winning both his GP events by wide margins, not being participate in the GPF and letting Chen thus build his momentum, and then giving a less than stellar SP performance at worlds?

Again, Chen had 107 for a clean SP event. He crossed 45 PCS for the first time ever, AFTER Yuzuru failed to deliver a clean SP. His GOEs aren't as high as Yuzuru's when both clean. It's not nearly as cut and dry as the soap opera-level "Asia has been dumped by the ISU in favour of the US" (as if it ever was the ISU's love in the first place!) reasoning going on.

By giving VERY generous PCS and GOEs to Nathan AND Vincent Zhou for 2019 WC. If it's just Nathan, ok fine they are continuing the momentum from before 2018 OG. Nathan AND Vincent very generous PCS, GOEs, sthing's up.

In previous pages, others have stated that Yuzuru didnt get a bump for his PCS after 2014 OG as many thought. He had to work very hard to get those PCS, still has to till today.

Unlike the freebie generous increase in PCS Nathan and Vincent. And high GOEs(+4,+5) on jumps. Nathan & Vincent improved, but not that... much. Its obvious. Like who are the judges trying to kid, lol.

Another Asian, Boyang Jin (as stated by Max Ambesi) never got +3 under the old system for his textbook 4Lutz. In fact, Boyang at times has gotten lower GOE for better quality jumps. But then, Boyang is from an even smaller fed than Japan.

2nd , the narrative among the North America media like Canada's CBC has shifted to praising Nathan. Previously, Kurt Browning heaped praises on Yuzuru. NBC of course has been hyping Nathan since Nathan went senior.

AND....and, the newly elected athlete rep Eric Bradford defending Nathan, saying that GOE is subjective. The athlete rep saying that. <facepalm>

Lol, no wonder figure skating dont get respected.

Lastly, some of us have been thru the Patrick Chan score inflation. He still won WC despite falls, despite his closest rival giving a stellar performance. There was 1 year where many fans believe Daisuke Takahashi should have won WC instead of Patrick.

So yeah, it is the 3 big federations lobbying for their athlete. They are lining up everything to push forth their agenda, in a pretty obvious way too.

I mean they dont even bother to be discreet abt it like in politics.

6 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

He hasn't suggested this. What are you talking about? He might have praised him, but that's not the same as this.

If someone has a transcript, it'll be appreciated.

I don't have the transcript and don't really have the time to go watch the CBC recap and WTT commentary again, but this was the impression I got not only about how Kurt talked about Vincent but about Nathan as well. Even if he explicitly doesn't say something that negates these skaters' mistakes/ flaws, the hype and praise suggests the judging is fair, which we've established that it isn't. That's my only issue here. 

1 minute ago, LourdesMoon said:

I don't have the transcript and don't really have the time to go watch the CBC recap and WTT commentary again, but this was the impression I got not only about how Kurt talked about Vincent but about Nathan as well. Even if he explicitly doesn't say something that negates these skaters' mistakes/ flaws, the hype and praise suggests the judging is fair, which we've established that it isn't. That's my only issue here.  

Well, I'll agree that commentators need to start calling out the judging more. I don't take issue with praising the skaters for what they've achieved however. Browning is still the most balanced commentator around.

18 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

I hope no thinks I have an issue with Kurt, I really do enjoy his commentary, but as a commentator shouldn't he mention these things? Even simply saying the issue hasn't gone away but that the audience should be aware that judges make calls based on various factors (camera angles, emotion, etc) would still be beneficial rather than simply staying quiet and being ok with the calls, wouldn't it? 

That question goes to the core of "what is the job of a figure skating commentator?" Is it really the commentator's job to tell the viewers about every little or big flaw in every single program, by every skater? Can you imagine what that would be like?  "Up next is Yuri Katsuki, who hasn't been able to do a clean program to save his life for the last two years. The reason being, ( whole bunch of nitpicky negative stuff). But he keeps on landing in the top five because the judges are all biased or paid off by his coach. I sure hope he doesn't screw it up this time." Seriously, no one would watch anymore and all the skaters would feel like killing themselves! 

In other words, no matter what Kurt's actual opinion of the judging is, he's never going to say it on air if he disagrees with it. But pay attention to all the times he says he agrees with the judges instead.

11 minutes ago, eagle said:

2nd , the narrative among the North America media like Canada's CBC has shifted to praising Nathan. Previously, Kurt Browning heaped praises on Yuzuru. NBC of course has been hyping Nathan since Nathan went senior.

I watch CBC all the time and I have not noticed any increase in praise for Nathan beyond the fact the he did win World's. And since he has won World's twice, it would be weird if they didn't talk about him.