General Yuzuru Chat

hace 17 minutos , monchan said:

I don't know why u guyz bother so much about Beijing. I mean it's 4 yrssss, longggg time ahead, whatever he says now, even if he says he wants to go, doesn't mean he would be there, cuz sooooo many things would happen along the way, esp when he alr enters a new page of his life w this 2nd gold, and it's not smt urgent/must-do to take another Oly either. Just rmb how much happened in EACH season after Sochi, we can't tell anything ahead, so shouldn't be bothered by smt that happens after 4 yrs.

The only certain thing now is he'll go into rehabilitation soon and might be off-ice some time. Other things, better not go too deep to make any anticipation. Cuz Yuzu has been dealing w media for most of his competitive career, he knows what words to say to keep things neutral and safe for his public image. If smt happens and things turn out in an unexpected way, it can't be helped right?, it's not like he was lying thou.

Whenever we start talking about 2022 I feel like we are underestimating his 2nd OGM. It is not the same to get 2xOGM now compared to 60-70 years ago, the sport has changed completely and the 66 years gap between two consecutive wins only confirms how difficult it is to stay on the top for more than one olympic cycle and it makes his victory even more amazing.

And we are lucky that Yuzu still has unfinished business in competitive skating, because very few athletes would feel motivated to stay in the same situation. The only one I can think about right now is Aliona Savchenko, but I guess her relationship with figure skating is very similar to what Yuzu has. 

50 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

Why keep our hopes up???? Man this post olympics seems hard on the fans... At least after sochi he was healthy and fully geared for 2018 so fans could rest assured there was another 4 years of fangirling

Well not only the health part, but he was 19.  He still had yet to reach his prime.  But now he is at the age where skaters (especially women) retire especially when they reach the pinnacle of their careers.  So there is a sense of uncertainty.  But luckily Yuzu has stated he has no intention of retiring it just depends on his ankle.  So hopefully the skating gods decide the best for him :)

I have a tendency to draw towards skaters who dominate the field and come out as legendary. Yuzu satisfied that thirst for me and when he retires in a year or two.. I think I will jst gravitate towards Zagitova who says she wants to skate as long as possible. Im sure yuzus retirement will leave a long hunger for skating fans and to fill the void they will gravitate towards either Nathan Chen or Zagitova who are the most likely dominant skaters of the next generation

hace 3 minutos , Syless Jinx said:

Well not only the health part, but he was 19.  He still had yet to reach his prime.  But now he is at the age where skaters (especially women) retire especially when they reach the pinnacle of their careers.  So there is a sense of uncertainty.  But luckily Yuzu has stated he has no intention of retiring it just depends on his ankle.  So hopefully the skating gods decide the best for him :)

A few months ago for my own selfish reasons I almost wished him to get silver so he wouldn't retire after Olympics :facepalm: . Now  knowing how much he sacrificed for this victory I feel really ashamed of those thoughts. 

6 hours ago, YH7892 said:
23 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

As much as I want to see him in Beijing 2022, I can't ignore the concern to his health. He'll be 27 by then, and do you guys remember what Javi said about skating at 26?

He said jumping quads by 26 is completely different than when he's 20. They become harder, and he fell harder...

And here Yuzu is, having to keep the game up by then and strive towards 4A and even quints in 4 years time.

Ok sorry I'm probably killing the mood :81:

But Yuzu is different from others, no bias. I feel like Yuzu is born to be the best, its fate. This is my true feelings

Things could be very different by Beijing time.  Those who make the skating rules seem to be wanting to rebalance the TES and PCS scores.  Any moves to make the PCS more comparable to the TES can only work to Yuzu's advantage.  He should still have access to his array of quads which might even include the axel.  His future advantage can come because his innate musicality and the elegance and expressiveness of his general skating skills are still light years ahead of the others.  I realize that they are working to build up the PCS but the thing is that as far as those elements that comprise the PCS are concerned there is much that depends on simple raw talent and that raw talent is something Yuzu has in spades compared to even the best of his current challengers (I would put Shoma at the top of that list). 

Yuzu has learned about how to trust his training, and how to trust his programs.  Now he has to learn how to trust his inborn talent.  The fact is that Yuzu right now is the only male skater out there who can reliably rack up 10's in his component score.  They're still rare but if he plans programs and gets the choreography to highlight PCS aspects of his skating he can still win and he can do so without going quad to quad against his challengers.  He doesn't need to have six quads or five quads to grab the gold.  In the TES he can wrack up GOEs on his spins (he's number one in the world there, and is ranked first because his spins are centered, complex and rapid), also on his step sequences and choreographic sequences and even if he doesn't have as many quads as others he can collect GOEs on those he does do because of the difficulty of his takeoffs and landings.  A major reason he has his number one ranking is that he goes into jumps far more often than others without telegraphing a jump is coming.  Even his triple axel is achieved with a simple turn to skating forward and without touching his other blade to the ice launching himself into those 3 1/2 rotations while airborne and landing straight into a spread-eagle or some other fancy landing. 

I've felt for some time that Yuzu's been blessed with great choreographers and I've noticed that his programs are far more detailed than those of the other men out there.  Part of that might be the fact that he does much of the musical editing for his programs, something very rare amongst skaters (as far as I know).  That means that as he's working out the music he'll skate to he's also getting a rough sense of what he'll be doing to that music.  With that much in hand he then meets with his choreographer to fill in all the details, and according to what he said in one interview, he wants his motion to match the music every second of the way.  He doesn't want any blank spaces in what he's doing out there.  That means that his programs have real density and that he enters a skate with what almost might be described as a higher base value on his PCS points.  Not a bad situation to be in, particularly if he knows the limitations of those whom he's competing against.  All in all I think Yuzu has what it takes to take on the world's best in 2022.  Much depends on what the authorities do to equalize the TES and PCS scores but any move to bolster the importance of the PCS side of the equation can only work to Yuzu's advantage.

I think the fact that the older skaters Patrick and Javi being 3~4 years older than yuzu and being constantly sliding downwards in the ranks may have discouraged his motivation to go to Beijing and hence he is now saying he is unsure he wnts to go. I also have accepted the sad truth that figure skating is a sport where dominance is only possible under 25 years old and the maximum even if you are yuzu hanyu. And im sure hanyu knws this too

10 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

I have a tendency to draw towards skaters who dominate the field and come out as legendary. Yuzu satisfied that thirst for me and when he retires in a year or two.. I think I will jst gravitate towards Zagitova who says she wants to skate as long as possible. Im sure yuzus retirement will leave a long hunger for skating fans and to fill the void they will gravitate towards either Nathan Chen or Zagitova who are the most likely dominant skaters of the next generation

Not for me. I like Yuzu for his beautiful skating and work ethics more than the top spot. I find absolutely no interest in others be it Shoma, Nathan, Boyang or the ladies, simply cuz I don't like their skating. If he leaves I might leave FS too except I find new talent that makes me in love w their perfs like Yuzu.

I hope he gets to do whatever he wants to do.  If he wants to emulate Pluschenko ( minus the multiple surgeries and I do think he will stop before it gets to that point) I hope his joints hold out to enable him to do it.  If after rehab on the ankle he decides enough is enough then I hope he gets to stop without any adverse comment.  I think he still enjoys competition and as long as he's enjoying it and his health holds he'll keep going - I don't think ice shows, much as he enjoys them would give him the same rush.  I think he'll take it a season at a time.  

And i totally agree with @Floria - let's enjoy this second OGM which isn't even 2 weeks old yet !

4 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Things could be very different by Beijing time.  Those who make the skating rules seem to be wanting to rebalance the TES and PCS scores.  Any moves to make the PCS more comparable to the TES can only work to Yuzu's advantage.  He should still have access to his array of quads which might even include the axel.  His future advantage can come because his innate musicality and the elegance and expressiveness of his general skating skills are still light years ahead of the others.  I realize that they are working to build up the PCS but the thing is that as far as those elements that comprise the PCS are concerned there is much that depends on simple raw talent and that raw talent is something Yuzu has in spades compared to even the best of his current challengers (I would put Shoma at the top of that list). 

Yuzu has learned about how to trust his training, and how to trust his programs.  Now he has to learn how to trust his inborn talent.  The fact is that Yuzu right now is the only male skater out there who can reliably rack up 10's in his component score.  They're still rare but if he plans programs and gets the choreography to highlight PCS aspects of his skating he can still win and he can do so without going quad to quad against his challengers.  He doesn't need to have six quads or five quads to grab the gold.  In the TES he can wrack up GOEs on his spins (he's number one in the world there, and is ranked first because his spins are centered, complex and rapid), also on his step sequences and choreographic sequences and even if he doesn't have as many quads as others he can collect GOEs on those he does do because of the difficulty of his takeoffs and landings.  A major reason he has his number one ranking is that he goes into jumps far more often than others without telegraphing a jump is coming.  Even his triple axel is achieved with a simple turn to skating forward and without touching his other blade to the ice launching himself into those 3 1/2 rotations while airborne and landing straight into a spread-eagle or some other fancy landing. 

I've felt for some time that Yuzu's been blessed with great choreographers and I've noticed that his programs are far more detailed than those of the other men out there.  Part of that might be the fact that he does much of the musical editing for his programs, something very rare amongst skaters (as far as I know).  That means that as he's working out the music he'll skate to he's also getting a rough sense of what he'll be doing to that music.  With that much in hand he then meets with his choreographer to fill in all the details, and according to what he said in one interview, he wants his motion to match the music every second of the way.  He doesn't want any blank spaces in what he's doing out there.  That means that his programs have real density and that he enters a skate with what almost might be described as a base value on his PCS points.  Not a bad situation to be in, particularly if he knows the limitations of those whom he's competing against.  All in all I think Yuzu has what it takes to take on the world's best in 2022.  Much depends on what the authorities do to equalize the TES and PCS scores but any move to bolster the importance of the PCS side of the equation can only work to Yuzu's advantage.

That being said I think yuzu is mentally stronger than all his younger skaters and is jst tough competitor. 

I think they need to change the scoring system to get lots and lots of points for PCS so Yuzu can have a shot dominating the sport for another 4 years if he wnts to continue. 

Or put a limitation on number of quad jumps

hace 2 minutos , cinemacoconut said:

I think the fact that the older skaters Patrick and Javi being 3~4 years older than yuzu and being constantly sliding downwards in the ranks may have discouraged his motivation to go to Beijing and hence he is now saying he is unsure he wnts to go. I also have accepted the sad truth that figure skating is a sport where dominance is only possible under 25 years old and the maximum even if you are yuzu hanyu. And im sure hanyu knws this too

It maybe true for Patrick, but not for Javi. Actually the fact that Javi won his World's Golds being not so young might have encouraged Yuzu to stay for a few more years. And don't forget that Javi is Olympic Bronze Medalist above Nathan and Boyang with only 3 quads FS and only two types of quads. 

24 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I hope he gets to do whatever he wants to do.  If he wants to emulate Pluschenko ( minus the multiple surgeries and I do think he will stop before it gets to that point) I hope his joints hold out to enable him to do it.  If after rehab on the ankle he decides enough is enough then I hope he gets to stop without any adverse comment.  I think he still enjoys competition and as long as he's enjoying it and his health holds he'll keep going - I don't think ice shows, much as he enjoys them would give him the same rush.  I think he'll take it a season at a time.  

And i totally agree with @Floria - let's enjoy this second OGM which isn't even 2 weeks old yet !

Yeah I dont want screws in yuzus spine like Plushenko. Plus i think the reason plu stayed was he wnted the 2nd OGM which Yuzu has already. 

I know its one or two seasons away but im starting to get retirement depression already. When he leaves there is going to be no male skater who i will anticipate with passion as I have done with yuzu. 

22 minutes ago, Floria said:

It maybe true for Patrick, but not for Javi. Actually the fact that Javi won his World's Golds being not so young might have encouraged Yuzu to stay for a few more years. And don't forget that Javi is Olympic Bronze Medalist above Nathan and Boyang with only 3 quads FS and only two types of quads. 

Yes and yuzu did say in an interview he got encouraged by Oda learning quad lutz at 30 years old which sparked potential and hope in him.

And I was surprized at how Oda skated way better at Japan Open during his late 20s and early 30s for two seasons after retirement. Oda is a better skater than Tanaka Keiji and that means a 30 year old can still skate better than 23 year old. Maybe age is just a number in some cases.