General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Newprogramsplease said:

The identity of Yuzu's wife was spilled by ice show staff and crew 🤦‍♂️

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/44f95f0430672d26f3167a6a5846364806e7a8f8

That's a shame to hear Yuzu's private life has been leaked, because he has not formally announced the identity of his spouse.

The article is Geoblocked in UK so it is not possible to read it anyway, the details will appear on other media soon enough

4 hours ago, TallyT said:

Apparently the number of followers on all sns have increased, the flood of messages has been hugely positive and happy, AERA is selling out... he knew he had antis and haters and he probably understands that some fans that mythologized him and their own relationship with that myth are angry or upset. He is still Yuzuru Hanyu, and most fans will still want Yuzuru Hanyu in their lives.

My thoughts on this (I fall under the “most fans” category) … under spoiler because I am only sharing my opinion, apologies for the length.

Spoiler

Yuzuru has always been a very private person. He has never talked much about his family openly, except when he referred to his sister as the one who first sparked his interest in skating; to his mother, since she went with him to Canada to take care of him; to his parents, who asked him if he really wanted to skate, when he was younger (you get the gist – very minimal). He has never mentioned a special other or any romantic relationship; he never said he was single/available either. And of course, it was his prerogative – it was never anybody’s business but his own.

Having said that, when I found myself a bit shocked/confused by his marriage announcement (although truly happy for him as well), I was honestly baffled. Yuzuru is basically a stranger – I do not know him personally, and I’m very sure he is unaware I even exist. He is not a child (my siblings married way before they were 28, and frankly, Yuzuru seems more mature than they were at that age). He has everything he can possibly attain in this life – money (I think he can decide to be a hermit, and already be set for life), fame, power/influence (hello, hanyuconomy), education. He even has a good family who has always supported him. Isn’t it only natural for a stable, healthy, young man to move on to the next step, maybe have a family of his own, while at the same time doing what he loves to do? So why was it bothering me? I didn’t have an answer.

I found myself going back to why I became a fan in the first place – his SKATING. What I did was to rewatch a lot (a LOT, including GIFT and the YouTube anniversary playlist) of his old skating videos. I became immersed once again – I got reminded that THIS was the reason I became a fan. His skating took me to another world – so graceful, ethereal, naturally flowing, and breathtaking. He made me forget, even for just moments, whatever was bothering me in my own life. When I discovered him, I was at my lowest point – I had to quit work to take care of an ailing parent. Yuzuru gave me the strength to endure, and LIVE, once again. He showed me beauty in everything he did on the ice. Furthermore, his wonderful character/personality proved to me that there is still good in this world.

I did not become a fan because he was single or available. I did not become a fan just because he was physically attractive. Nothing has changed, really. As long as he keeps skating, everything is alright with the world. (And when the time comes that he stops skating, well, those videos would still be around, for sure. And I’d still be supporting Yuzuru in whatever else he wants to do, or share with us.)

So, in case anyone else is going through a similar situation, I’m sharing a list of the videos I watched. I’m not saying that whatever worked for me will work for you, but, hopefully, these would tide you over – until we see the GOAT skating again. Cheers!

2010 Junior Worlds - Yuzuru Hanyu FS [No Commentary] - Pre-2011 Seasons - Planet Hanyu

2013 Art on Ice - True Love (ENG LYRICS) - 2013 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2013 FaOI Fukuoka - Story - 2013 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2014 FaOI Toyama - The Final Time Traveler - 2014 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

140625 NHK 'Hana wa saku' Project Video - 2014 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2014 Together on Ice - Change - 2014 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2014 GPF: Yuzuru Hanyu FS (CBC) - 2014-2015 Season - Planet Hanyu

2015 FaOI Makuhari - Believe - 2015 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2015 FaOI Makuhari - Vertigo - 2015 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2015 GPF: Men's SP (No Commentary) - 2015 Grand Prix Final - Planet Hanyu

2015 GPF: Yuzuru Hanyu FS (CBC) - 2015 Grand Prix Final - Planet Hanyu

2020 4CC - Yuzuru Hanyu SP + fluff (Fuji) - 2020 Four Continents Championships - Planet Hanyu

2020 Japanese Nationals - Yuzuru Hanyu FS (No commentary) - 2020 Japanese Nationals - Planet Hanyu

2022 FaOI Shizuoka Day 3 - Notre-Dame de Paris (220709 ver.) - 2022 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

2023 Stars on Ice Oshu Day 3 - Yuzuru Cut - 2023 Ice Shows - Planet Hanyu

YuzuTubeTurns1 - YouTube

Videobox - Planet Hanyu

GIFT on Disney+

43 minutes ago, AngelOnIce said:

His skating took me to another world – so graceful, ethereal, naturally flowing, and breathtaking. He made me forget, even for just moments, whatever was bothering me in my own life.

You know, It was the same for me too! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, JennyYang said:

I'm curious if Yuzu will continue use "lonely" to describe himself in the future. I doubt anyone would be happy to hear about their partner using this word to describe him/herself? I guess we will only see a happy Yuzu from now on?:peace2:

I doubt it. Speaking from personal experience, it’s entirely possible to feel lonely and be married at the same time. Marriage isn’t a path to being happy all the time. In his professional life, Yuzu still deals with pressure (both self-imposed and external) unlike what anyone else has to cope with. That’s incredibly isolating. Being married gives him one more person in his support structure, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to ultimately handle that himself.

40 minutes ago, river said:

I doubt it. Speaking from personal experience, it’s entirely possible to feel lonely and be married at the same time. Marriage isn’t a path to being happy all the time. In his professional life, Yuzu still deals with pressure (both self-imposed and external) unlike what anyone else has to cope with. That’s incredibly isolating. Being married gives him one more person in his support structure, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to ultimately handle that himself.

Now I'm even more curious about the concept of his next ice show.