General Yuzuru Chat

17 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

I really don't want to be that person who brings negativity into this chat. But what Scott Hamilton says here is not classy at all. I'm disappointed. Please ignore if you don't want to hear biased, inaccurate comments. Sorry again if this bothers anyone, you can just pass by my post and pretend this horrible video was never here. 

giphy.gif

Scott Hamilton is the worst. Nathan is American and also fits into Scott's narrow 'manly man in black who loves jumps and hates sequins and meaningful artistry' box, so in his mind he's the best. I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny & Tara's commentary but the Scott era was certainly no picnic either. 

1 minute ago, Vulnavia said:

Scott Hamilton is the worst. Nathan is American and also fits into Scott's narrow 'manly man in black who loves jumps and hates sequins and meaningful artistry' box, so in his mind he's the best. I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny & Tara's commentary but the Scott era was certainly no picnic either. 

I'm mainly surprised at the blatant erasure of facts. He doesn't mention the popped jump, the fact that Yuzu wasn't clean, he says the wrong number for the margin of victory, he criticizes the fans who dared to question his biased remarks at Nationals...it's just not what I expected of someone who's been in this field for so long. Nathan has a lot more class than him and the age gap is huge, you'd think it'd be the opposite. 

8 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

Yeah I'm from the US and there's a ridiculous amount of ... how do i say it? inability to accept anything that doesn't confine to limited gender expression norms here. you'd think with social issues being a big thing here and in many places we're very outwardly liberal but even compared to Japan where social issues aren't as "advanced" there's way more...internalized bias here that people just believe to be or frame as a preference. It's sad. 

25 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah I'm from the US and there's a ridiculous amount of ... how do i say it? inability to accept anything that doesn't confine to limited gender expression norms here. you'd think with social issues being a big thing here and in many places we're very outwardly liberal but even compared to Japan where social issues aren't as "advanced" there's way more...internalized bias here that people just believe to be or frame as a preference. It's sad. 

Sad, but also weird when you consider that the US is the ground zero of the whole LGBQT rights movement, going all the way back to the 60s, long before any other country was open to it. America definitely has a bit of a schizophrenic attitude in this regard. 

That being said, I take issue with Scott's comments from a different perspective. Saying anyone is 'unbeatable' is always demonstrably false ( even saying it about Yuzu...reality is that this is figure skating and winning or losing is the judge's hands, not the skater's.). And to say that Nathan's doing things that have never been done...what, exactly, might that be? 4Lo? No, Yuzu was the first one to land it. 4F? I do believe that was Shoma. 4Lz? That was Brandon Mroz back in 2011. 4S? Timothy Goebel, 2002. And the first 4T was landed before Nathan was even born, by Kurt Browning in the 90's. 

If he wants to talk about the number of quads in a program, yes, Nathan is the only man to have attempted 6 and it was a spectacular failure. And under the new rules, such an attempt would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Nathan hasn't invented any signature moves either.  So no 'things that have never been done' for Nathan. 

Nathan's very, very good and getting better all the time. But he's no innovator and he's as human as anyone else so I don't really understand Scott's comments. They're unrealistic at best and jingoistic at worst. 

41 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

I really don't want to be that person who brings negativity into this chat. But what Scott Hamilton says here is not classy at all. I'm disappointed. Please ignore if you don't want to hear biased, inaccurate comments. Sorry again if this bothers anyone, you can just pass by my post and pretend this horrible video was never here. 

1 minute ago, Vulnavia said:

I also enjoyed the part where he claimed that Nathan went into Yuzu's "hometown" and won, because I guess Saitama = Sendai when you're a narrow-minded American with an agenda to push.

Can't help but wonder if Scott actually watched the same World's as the rest of us. 

I'm also remembering when Scott interviewed Brian Orser at the Olympics, he was going on and on about their good old days skating in shows together and acting like he and Brian were BFFs. (Of course, this was the day after he dismissed and disrespected Yuzu's victory so he could bang on about Nathan's quads for the entire show...or at least, until I changed the channel.) I don't know about you guys, but if my good friend was a coach I don't think I'd be making videos where I rudely mocked, laughed at, and disrespected my friend's best and most successful student. 

3 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

I'm also remembering when Scott interviewed Brian Orser at the Olympics, he was going on and on about their good old days skating in shows together and acting like he and Brian were BFFs. (Of course, this was the day after he dismissed and disrespected Yuzu's victory so he could bang on about Nathan's quads for the entire show...or at least, until I changed the channel.) I don't know about you guys, but if my good friend was a coach I don't think I'd be making videos where I rudely mocked, laughed at, and disrespected my friend's best and most successful student. 

Well he also was quoted as talking about how Yuzuru didn't win the long program and when he was reminded that he hadn't either when he won his gold, only then did he relent and say they both deserved it. Sigh. 

30 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

Well he also was quoted as talking about how Yuzuru didn't win the long program and when he was reminded that he hadn't either when he won his gold, only then did he relent and say they both deserved it. Sigh. 

Ah yes, I clearly remember that and how he randomly decided that winning the long program while winning your second OGM was suddenly part of the criteria for being considered a GOAT, and how he couldn't say that Yuzu was better than Dick Button, etc etc while Tanith and the NBC host dude were both giving him the side eye. 

I saved [admin edit: tweet is offensive] about Scott during nationals and every time I think about it it makes me laugh and reminds me not to take anything he says seriously. (But warning before clicking that it's just as rude towards him as he is towards others, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea.) 

18 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

13 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

4 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

Ah yes, I clearly remember that and how he randomly decided that winning the long program while winning your second OGM was suddenly part of the criteria for being considered a GOAT, and how he couldn't say that Yuzu was better than Dick Button, etc etc while Tanith and the NBC host dude were both giving him the side eye. 

I saved this tweet about Scott during nationals and every time I think about it it makes me laugh and reminds me not to take anything he says seriously. (But warning before clicking that it's just as rude towards him as he is towards others, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea.) 

:english2: 

The telling point here is that even Nathan doesn't believe this level of hype about himself ( and Raf certainly doesn't if his comments are anything to go by)  so I'm thinking we can safely ignore what Scott says. Also remember that Scott is the man who originated Stars On Ice, so he's not someone skaters can really afford to call out or offend, I'd guess. 

That being said, some of these comments go way beyond rah-rah-rah-America's-great patriotism and sound more personal, like Scott just dislikes Yuzu, full stop. 

Which is kind of incredible in its own way. It's not like Scott has to compete against Yuzu or anything. 

22 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That being said, some of these comments go way beyond rah-rah-rah-America's-great patriotism and sound more personal, like Scott just dislikes Yuzu, full stop. 

Which is kind of incredible in its own way. It's not like Scott has to compete against Yuzu or anything. 

As someone who used to be a big Johnny Weir fan, I remember the rumors that went around for years that Scott kept Johnny from ever being invited to the Stars on Ice tour because he thought Johnny was too "flamboyant" for the "family friendly" SOI. So I think part of it is not so much about Yuzu specifically, but about Scott's fairly narrow view of what men's skating should be and look like, and someone who has the confidence to go out and perform beautiful, emotional, sensitive programs while dressed like a sakura fairy doesn't fit into that view. And I think the other part is that Yuzu is a threat to the agenda that Scott and the rest of the US skating community are trying to push. It's a whole lot harder to convince people to believe that Nathan is the best as long as Yuzu remains around actually being the best.