Japanese study group

Hydroblade

28 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I'm so sad because there's only two lessons left from my japanese course :sadPooh: I have stopped taking notes since we're studying casual form and how to do big ass subjects in sentencesw (or something like that, idk the grammatical term?) and well... that's the japanese i know :P casual japanese lol.

Next term i will have a native teacher who is known for being very strict but i am looking forward to it :8430721:

With "big ass subjects" do you mean something like... "かんぺきのえんぎをやっているスケータ"? (That should be, if my japanese is correct) "The skater(who does perfect performances)". 

9 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

With "big ass subjects" do you mean something like... "かんぺきのえんぎをやっているスケータ"? (That should be, if my japanese is correct) "The skater(who does perfect performances)". 

tbh i don't remember, i think it was something like that... it's one of those things i can do but idk what i am doing :P

Just now, Hydroblade said:

tbh i don't remember, i think it was something like that... it's one of those things i can do but idk what i am doing :P

Aaah okay, somehow the way you described it, that grammatical form came into mind, so I played guess heheh :Poohgaveup:  the book here calls it "Qualifying nouns with verbs and adjectives", but I think that 'big ass subjects' makes the concept way clearer xDDD

Just now, Murieleirum said:

Aaah okay, somehow the way you described it, that grammatical form came into mind, so I played guess heheh :Poohgaveup:  the book here calls it "Qualifying nouns with verbs and adjectives", but I think that 'big ass subjects' makes the concept way clearer xDDD

I only remember that my teacher said "all this acts like the subject of the sentence, even if it sounds very long" :P and i glanced at the whiteboard and i was "hey, i know that..." :P so i stopped paying attention, sorry teacher!

58 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

完璧な演技をすべるスケータ would be better and politer. :)

I don't know what's in Japanese language teaching books, but "やる" is really a males only pretty impolite language verb that in Japan is okay when guys go out for beer after sports or so maybe - and not always then - but it completely unacceptable in polite company or worse, business environment.

If it's in books, maybe it's because its okay to use for boys and the authors and/or publishers haven't considered their approach to teaching adults...

Oh and it's かんぺきin this case, though heaven knows I have no idea how to explain that in English in terms of grammar. ^^;

19 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I don't know what's in Japanese language teaching books, but "やる" is really a males only pretty impolite language verb that in Japan is okay when guys go out for beer after sports or so maybe - and not always then - but it completely unacceptable in polite company or worse, business environment.

If it's in books, maybe it's because its okay to use for boys and the authors and/or publishers haven't considered their approach to teaching adults...

Oh and it's かんぺきin this case, though heaven knows I have no idea how to explain that in English in terms of grammar. ^^;

Actually that's one of the things i remember how to explain. かんぺき is a な adjective :P  

1 minute ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Excellent, we can do this again: I point out the what and you name the English grammar term. ;)

I don't know if i am going to be of much help, i picked a lot of my japanese without knowing the appropriate grammatical terms. This one was drilled into me on the first classes of level 2 (it was then when i switched to level three haha) so that's why i can explain it :P 

3 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I don't know if i am going to be of much help, i picked a lot of my japanese without knowing the appropriate grammatical terms. This one was drilled into me on the first classes of level 2 (it was then when i switched to level three haha) so that's why i can explain it :P 

At least you know some of the English grammar terms; I have the native learner's disadvantage - that is, in explaining to others - that I never had to think of those things. ^^;

Just now, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

At least you know some of the English grammar terms; I have the native learner's disadvantage - that is, in explaining to others - that I never had to think of those things. ^^;

You know, i am a bit like that too. When i had my first placement test the teacher asked me precisely that, about adjectives, he asked me "why do you use な for きれい?" and i was "uh, idk, it sounds right..." I skipped almost half of the whole japanese course(i was placed on the third level out of six, i began a month later than everyone else), everything i know except like four lessons out of ten is just by "instinct" (including verb conjugations haha). Maybe next term i will be able to explain more things :P but right now i don't think i can name the actual terms @_@

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

You know, i am a bit like that too. When i had my first placement test the teacher asked me precisely that, about adjectives, he asked me "why do you use な for きれい?" and i was "uh, idk, it sounds right..." I skipped almost half of the whole japanese course(i was placed on the third level out of six, i began a month later than everyone else), everything i know except like four lessons out of ten is just by "instinct" (including verb conjugations haha). Maybe next term i will be able to explain more things :P but right now i don't think i can name the actual terms @_@

Actually I think how Japanese is learned best is by immersion. That is, watching, listening - best both together, like movie or TV - talking, if you have the chance. Because there isn't really any grammar comparable to European languages, and while you can learn all verb declinations - if that's what they are called - it won't really help you much because learning just from books, you can end up saying something that's grammatically correct and comprehensible, but is still weird because no Japanese would express it that way. (I can give you an example, if you want.)

Just now, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Actually I think how Japanese is learned best is by immersion. That is, watching, listening - best both together, like movie or TV - talking, if you have the chance. Because there isn't really any grammar comparable to European languages, and while you can learn all verb declinations - if that's what they are called - it won't really help you much because learning just from books, you can end up saying something that's grammatically correct and comprehensible, but is still weird because no Japanese would express it that way. (I can give you an example, if you want.)

Definitely. You have to learn the "patterns" of the language rather than the grammar itself (idk how to explain it). And then there is the grammatically incorrect phrases that are used and accepted :P ! 

9 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Definitely. You have to learn the "patterns" of the language rather than the grammar itself (idk how to explain it). And then there is the grammatically incorrect phrases that are used and accepted :P ! 

On the later, it was pretty bad already for me 25 or so years back with "fuaito desu" but I rationalised that away telling myself that people didn't realise that "fight" in English is a verb - which shouldn't be combined with desu - as well as a noun.

When these days I hear not only teens - who might be forgiven for succumbing to stupid fads - but even for me too many young business people saying "doumo desu," I want to install a language police. >_<

Because while of course language is an evolving process, I really thing there's no need to butcher it so much it hurts. :embSwan:

Just now, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

On the later, it was pretty bad already for me 25 or so years back with "fuaito desu" but I rationalised that away telling myself that people didn't realise that "fight" in English is a verb - which shouldn't be combined with desu - as well as a noun.

When these days I hear not only teens - who might be forgiven for succumbing to stupid fads - but even for me too many young business people hear saying "doumo desu," I want to install a language police. >_<

Because while of course language is an evolving process, I really thing there's no need to butcher it so much it hurts. :embSwan:

:sadPooh: 

56 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Yaru (遣る) is one of the first verbs I found in the book ( to do; to undertake; to perform; to play (a game); to study), I knew it was colloquial but there was no hint in the book that it was males only xD Damn book. But すべる... you mean 滑る? 

1. to glide; to slide (e.g. on skis); to slip

2. to fail (an examination); to bomb (when telling a joke)

3. to drop; to go down; to come down; to fall (e.g. in status)

I don't understand how this verb would mean "The skater who does perfect performances" :confused:

As for the kampekina, you're right, my mistake xD I know it's a na-adjective but I never remember when it needs the -na and when it doesn't.(sorry, I don't have japanese keyboard on the work computer)