[News] [Compilation] Statement of Determination (Turning Professional)

sallycinnamon

On 7/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, JanMary said:

Translation of 220719 報道STATION Interview with Shuzo Matsuoka (TV Asahi)

Chi-Eng by DeepL, proof read by me. Just for your quick reference before Jpn-Eng translation comes out

Q: I think today you're different from usual. You are nervous.

Yuzu: I was nervous because I don't know how people would take the news. People's understanding of "stepping back" is very different from mine so I don't know if I have fully conveyed this in my press conference. I am nervous.

Q: Having reviewed the interviews of you so far, I was very impressed by your pursuit of victory and defeat (several interviews from the past were played), but this time you are stepping down from the stage of victory and defeat, can I understand in this way?

Yuzu: No, I think it's not so much a step down but a step up from the stage of victory and defeat to the next stage. Although it's also “retirement” in some sense, but I'm happy that I'm stepping into the path from an amateur skater to a professional skater in a completely different mood. I may not be able to be compared with other skaters and compete in terms of scores, but I am always fighting with myself, comparing myself with my past self, fighting, and presenting myself like "see, I am better now". I will also keep fighting with everyone's expectations, and outperform them. I will continue skating with a strong will.

Q: You just talked about competing with other skater. GPF in 2015 left me with a deep impression of winning and losing.

Yuzu: At that time, it was more of a feeling of "going all out" than "wanting to win" or "wanting to make no mistakes." People had a lot of expectations of me, and they were looking forward to the performance that they want to see. Thanks to that, I was able to perform the way I did in the 2015 GPF.

Q: So it's not like you're competing with others?

Yuzu: I wasn't competing with others at that time. It was a time when my past self was scariest. Because I had exceeded 300 points for the first time in the previous competition, and then I immediately entered the next competition, and frankly, it wasn't easy to keep my body in shape for the next competition. Honestly, I don't have a lot of experience of no miss in both programs, and in fact, for figure skaters, how many times are there in their lives when they can have no miss in both programs? So I was really nervous about how to win over my past self from the last competition, and I was full of those thoughts at that time.

Q: Maybe this question is a bit rude, I am an athlete, and when we talk about the limits, the limits of the body, including the ankle, there are various situations, how do you understand the “limits” this time?

Yuzu: If you say it in tennis terms, I think this is not a professional tennis player's retirement. From a tennis point of view, it's a time when you move from being an amateur to a professional player.

Q: Starting from now?

Yuzu: Yes. Of course I worry about my ankle, but especially during these four years after the PyeongChang Winter Olympics, despite the injuries, I've grown so much. I've trained in so many different ways, I've learned so much, and I think I've actually improved and gotten better, and I think I can continue to improve, but of course, if you talk about explosive power etc., it's not the same as when I was in tens. But I'm still getting better, and I can still get better and better. You see tennis players who are still playing very well at the age of 40, right? I also find it hard to understand why there are no examples of skaters like that. I think I can do better in the future, and I honestly think so.

Q: What about the mental limits?

Yuzu: There were many times when my heart disappeared and I skated in a state of "nothing". I honestly will never forget the hardest time I had, although I don't want to talk about it. I couldn't eat and didn't want to eat at that time, but when I was skating, I want to pour all the things I wanted to perform, all the feelings I had, into figure skating. I was able to put my emotions into figure skating thanks to the foundation and technique I've been polishing since I was four years old. Of course there were a lot of frustrating times, but for me, performing and having people come to see me skating are happy after all. Although the journey so far has been very hard, there are also times when I have been told off along the way while I can't refute it, I think getting hurt because of such thing is the hardest.

Q: At the Beijing Winter Olympics, I think the biggest charisma of your performance was that you showed your weaknesses and side of "unrewarded effort". I feel like you are showing a different side of Hanyu.

Yuzu: Thanks to that, people think that there is such a side to even Yuzuru Hanyu, a very perfect person, and many people want to cheer for me. I think it's good from that point of view. In fact, I had no intention to participate in the (Beijing Winter) Olympics. I just wanted to jump 4A and then done. I took part in the Beijing Winter Olympics after all, and I challenged, I failed, I did not win the champion, and I had the idea that there was no reward for my efforts. But even so, many people supported me, and they feel something from my experience. There are a lot of people like this, and I have been supported by this until today. I also feel that I will continue to work hard and go forward together with everyone towards my dream as my goal.

Q: You will continue challenging 4A?

Yuzu: After all I fight hard to get to this point. I'm still in the middle of my journey, so I want to accomplish my dream together with everyone. It would be nice if it could so.

Q: Not resting from tomorrow?

Yuzu: I wasn't resting, I was still practicing late yesterday, and I was doing image training when I wasn't on the ice. Retreating gives a negative feeling and makes people feel lonely, but I'll get better next, so look forward to it!

Q: Will you take a little break?

Yuzu: I don't have this thought, on the contrary I'm thinking about what kind of performance I'm going to give next. I think this is the most crucial time. Of course I want to take care of my body and my heart, but I think everyone is most interested in what kind of Yuzuru Hanyu I'm going to be next. So I'm going to work hard.

Q: Everyone wants to say "thank you for your hard work" and "thank you" to you.

Yuzu: If people say "thank you for your hard work," I will feel a little bit regretful and resentful, and it feels like my thoughts are not conveyed to you. If you feel "so sad" "so lonely", then I will really feel a little resigned. I am in a very positive mood now, I hope that everyone can also look forward and fight with me.

Q: Is it the feeling of graduation? Is it a new beginning?

Yuzu: It is the "new beginning" that I talked to Shuzo-san when I was 16 years old, and now I am standing at the starting line.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:19 PM, JanMary said:

Still Chi-Eng by deepL, proof read by me

Q: We interviewed Yuzuru Hanyu, who is embarking on a new path as a professional athlete, "Please use one word to express your determination for the future?"
Yuzu: It's "羽" (wings, or feather). It's a bit embarrassed for using the kanji in my own name. But I think from now on I will be able to fly high. For example, I was a larva when I was little, and then I became a pupa, but I couldn't fly very well. It was really hard to go from pupa to moth, and until it dried, it hurts when the wind blew, and I couldn't flap my wings well when it was half dry. Now, at last, I am able to flap my wings like this. Next, I want to spread my wings well, and I want to use "羽" to express my determination for the future, with the idea that I want to fly solidly into the sky.

• sallycinnamon changed the title to [News] Compilation] Statement of Determination (Turning Professional)
  • yuzuangel changed the title to [News] [Compilation] Statement of Determination (Turning Professional)
  • sallycinnamon pinned this topic
  • sallycinnamon locked this topic